Pretty scary about Mika Salo. | FerrariChat

Pretty scary about Mika Salo.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Jun 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I think some of them wear dust masks under their helmets for this very reason. I may be wrong.

Your right though. Very scary. I wonder what long term affect it'll have on him and the others.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Amazing that this is only being brought up now.

I recall after Sebring (must have been 2001 or 2002) Tom Kristensen was having difficulty with one of his eyes after the race. He could barely keep it open and the team physio kept looking at it, could not see anything and administered drops.

As it turned out, on the way back to Europe, Tom stopped at a Miami hospital to be checked out and it was found there that a mass of carbon brake dust was lodged in his eye which was causing him some the serious discomfort.

He returned to Europe with an eyepatch and some serious medication for pain and to hold of an infection which, as he said at the time brought him some very welcome attentions from the flight attendants all the way home. (One of those "chicks dig scars" stories).

We'll see what happens as a result of Salo's problems and hope it isnt serious.

BHW

4. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  5. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Which make of ***s has carbon fibre in them? They must cost a fortune!

6. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    lol.... too often DC makes totally awkward comments

7. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Of late he's kind of taking Eddie Irvine’s place in the paddock. :) I like him much better now that he's not racing for McLaren. Seems to be driving better and not watching what's coming out of his mouth.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My God, after the concerns over asbestos, I had figured that the FIA and all other racing bodies that allow carbon brakes would have researched this risk beforehand. You've got to start wondering about carbon brakes on road cars and the possible effects upon automotive technicians too.

Mark

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Carbon fibre brakes, like those used on F1 cars, won't work on street cars, because they don't work worth a durn when cold. Having the brakes too cold isn't an issue on F1 cars, but it is on street cars.

And having the rotors wear out as fast as the pads isn't currently considered a marketable solution for the street. (Dunno why, though -- every shop tries to sell people new rotors. If they were made to be replaced, they'd have to be a lot cheaper.)

Carbon-ceramic brakes, like those used on the Enzo, are a different breed. The ceramic compound likely reduces rotor wear ... and they're currently too expensive for widespread use.

Brake pad dust is, and has been, an issue for automotive service. (That's where the asbestos question came in.) (My street wheels have quite a coating of dust I have to wash off during my winter/summer wheel changes.)

But in F1, with the risk of fire, with the emergency air supplies in the cars, and with all the oil vapor around the tracks, I'd have thought that the drivers haven't been breathing unfiltered air for some time, now. (At minimum, the nomex balaclava ought to filter out the bigger particles.)

But I'd think that the bigger risk would be for the tire changers in pit lane -- with all the accumulated dust coming off the wheels during a five second quick change.

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I actually was thinking the same, perhaps the damage caused by smoking made him more susceptible? Either way i hope he'll be OK.

11. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek

I was going to say the samething. Mika Salo smokes like a chimney. I remember when he stood in for Micheal at Ferrari back in 99, Ferrari had a hard time with him to quit smoking.

12. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I'm no dr. but how can smoking affect having more or less brake dust in the lungs.... ?
    Anyway, it's a surprise to me that Mika or any other modern F1 driver smokes. I thought Keke Rosberg was the last one !

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I'm not a Dr either, maybe it sticks to the smoke already in his lungs? Who the heck knows, maybe if there is a Doc on this forum he could help us out. I believe Sandro Nannini smoked too, as well as Stephan Johanssen. I'm sure more do we just don't hear about it.