308 carbs | FerrariChat

308 carbs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tomberlin, Jun 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I have a stock 78 308 with a rebuilt motor and stock, reworked distributors. It acts as if there are air leaks at the carbs. Putting my hand over any throat causes noticable increase in revs. Do the throttle shafts leak? Everything else I can check seems secure. Thanks for any help.
    Tom

2. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    yes they do - sometimes badly.

Carl Jones has sealed bearings available. [email protected]

Dave

3. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    What seals the shafts when new. Are ther seals there that deteriorated?

4. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    There are washers sprung loaded onto the bearings to seal the shaft. I spray mine with chain grease every so often to keep them sealed. It will at least tell you if this is the problem.

The gaskets to the manifolds also have a reputation for leaking. Again you can spray them for a quick seal test.

5. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    They are standard ball races lubricated with grease, that are covered by brass washers. As fuel ends up on the shaft all the time, eventually the grease is washed away, and the brass washers don't really do much.

The replacement bearings are sealed units, so the grease never gets washed out, so the problem never arises again.

I used to struggle to get the carbs synched and tuned, but after replacing the bearings, it was a one hour job, and it held the tune.

Dave

6. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    You might try spraying carburator cleaner in areas that can leak to see if the engine RPMs increase. If so that area may have a leak. Use the tube that comes with the can to keep the spray confined to a small area and avoid getting it into the carb throat.

7. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Thanks to all for the help. I had done the spray test with significant rpm change, but was told by one of the popular parts suppliers that there were no seals.

8. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    #8 ham308, Jun 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017