308 VW Exhaust Chirp | FerrariChat

308 VW Exhaust Chirp

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thecarreaper, Jun 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    anybody know if the resonators in the exhaust tips can be removed. i very much dislike the VW Bug sound the Dino exhaust has. my gts and GTB did not have this chirp from the exhaust tips . any help / advice would be great, lest i start destroying parts :mad: !

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am not sure if this is the case but I have heard that when air injection tubes are removed from a 308 and the holes are plugged without filling the resulting void that chirp will occur but on an early GT4 I would think that is a non-issue.

Time for a TUBI or Stebro!

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Mike,

All you need is a small sheet of stainless steel. What you want to do is cover the holes (perforation) in the chrome tips. Cut the sheet into 3 or 4 inch squares (or more). Roll it up on a broom handle and insert into the tip. It should "roll out" or expand and cover up the holes.

I've never done this, but that's what I heard. Good luck

Henry

4. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I saw stainless steel inserts for this problem on ebay a while back. Try ebay search "Ferrari 308"...maybe you could stumble on a set.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks. they look like they can be pulled out. my GTB doenst have them. i have yet to find anything that will slide in there that i can pull hard enough with. may try a slide hammer today :) . tried the archives but came back empty.

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I had the chirp/whistle on a 308 QV years ago. I tried my own inserts and the eventually blew out. I ended up using some very high temp epoxy/JB Weld type of stuff from PEP Boys and spread it in the holes. Worked great.

7. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Mike,
    Try the insert trick. It works!
    Measure the diameter of the opening and then calculate the circumference.
    Cut a piece of stainless sheet slightly larger and the depth of the perforated inserts. Approx. 3 in. by 7 inch if I remember correctly. Roll it and insert it into all 4 tips. Noise gone!

John

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Would it be possible to remove the perforated metal rather than just covering it up. If i understand it correctly, there is a reduced diameter in the tip with perforated metal and probably some packing like fiberglass. Is this right??

Why not just pull all of that junk out. it would probably flow more easily, be a bit noisier and produce a tiny bit more power. Spasso, What do you think??

I have aftermarket "resonator" tips on my flowmaster and am considering pulling the baffles to see how it would sound.

good luck.
    chris

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

exactly. i would like them out rather than cram more stuff in the exhaust flow. i dont care how loud the car gets, its a toy.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The inserts will work if you use ss. I tried aluminum, then galvanized steel, and they both blew out. SS worked perfectly.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

good to know., thank you

12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    saw the set on ferrari ads...... i still want to try remove them first . grrrrr.

13. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    I bought them. They work great, very simple solution, no more chirp.