Whats your comfort level regarding speed | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Whats your comfort level regarding speed

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jun 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I have the same car, and I've done 130 in it a couple of times. Comfortable cruising at 90 to 100 on long trips to Peters's house. GT's draft pretty well too.

2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Exactly. I'm just too paranoid to speed in the F-car.

However, low-level or contour in the -64's a whole different ball game. Visibility's the limiting factor there. I'll go as fast as I can see. ;)

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I travel the speed limit or just with the flow of traffic. I try and keep under 75 on the freeway here (65 speed limit in CA). Its not my fear of speed that keeps me that slow, its my terrible fear of cops and another ticket :(

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its either the outside seal that fits between the tray and the windshield or your drain tube poking out of the wheel well. Or both.

Sunny

EDIT: Sorry to hijack, I should have PM'ed. :D

5. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I'll check that seal. Thanks.

My drain tubes are pushed into the holes and I've taped up the holes to see if it that was the cause but I still got the whistle.

I think I should pull the tubes back out. I don't like the idea of water getting behind the metal.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    My comfort level is as fast as traffic is going, which is either always above the limit, slow because its raining or stopped because of rush hour.

I prefer to be travelling at 80+ due to the suspension settling in and the tall gears puts economy and RPMs in the sweet spot.

7. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I typically drive around at 'what traffic allows' without having to change lanes often. So if I've got empty stretches I cruise at 80-100 depending on the road. If I've got mild traffic I drive around 75-85. If its not possible to do 75 without constantly having to pass people on the right, I just glide with traffic and stay happy.

8. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    140 today in my e320 i just got out of the shop. just wanted to make sure it still ran well.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    ..well, did it? :D

10. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    it felt like a brand new car. Park Place in Dallas did a great job. i couldnt be happier...

11. JLocke

JLocke Karting

May 26, 2005
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My Boxster feels quite comfortable at 85-ish. And I try to drive the Interstates between 75 and 85.

I've had it up to 136 (4:00a.m., I-85) and it felt quite stable and glued to the road. Even the steering didn't feel too light.

Every once in a while I'll crank it up to 95 to slightly over 100 very briefly on the Interstate (coming off a particular on-ramp, actually). Feels great!

Two-lane country roads are the best. Any reasonable speed that is safe and allows me to assume on-coming traffic is fun. It's the handling and the speeding up and slowing down--just the whole experience--as opposed to a maximum speed that makes it fun. I'd say, overall, it's more fun than a sustained speed on an Interstate.

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had my 308 up to about 115 or 120 several times for fairly short times. It feels good at that speed. I would feel pretty comfortable cruising there. Much faster and I start thinking about what could go wrong.

My current Lincoln LS feels pretty good up to about 110-120 then it starts floating a bit too much. Maybe it needs a spoiler ;)

Long time ago I had a Z-24 Cavalier that had a gov. at 115. Passed some sort of law enforcement going the other way in the middle of Nevada with it pegged on cruise control. We both kept going.

13. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Took a C5 up to 140. I wouldn't do it again in a C5.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Not by choice... you're going 168.6ft/second.

Assuming he/she spotted you when you were perfectly parallel side by side, it would take 7-8 seconds to brake down to 10-15mph from 80mph safely, cross over the divider and lose another 6-7 seconds, and another 15+ seconds to match your current speed. At that rate, you will have a mile head start! They would have to haul at 150mph for a minute in order to catch you and likely they didn't know if you could have gone any faster... :D :D

Sweet!

15. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I have never felt uncomfortable at any speed in my car. It is as solid as a tank and was built to cruise the autobahns for hours at a time above 150. One of a handful of cars designed from the start for ultra speed cruising.

16. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Comfort is a relative term !

I've been over 160 mph in several cars. Was a passenger in Mr. Koenig's turbo 348 at over 200 mph but wasn't comfortable because I was in the wrong seat (passenger). A week ago I was in AWE-Tunings 996 TT which makes 550 hp at the wheels on race gas and was totally comfortable at about 160 mph.

Cars I have driven fast:

88 1/2 Testarossa at about 175 mph (not very comfortable)
    355 C at Pocono at above 175 mph (very comfortable)
    91 Stillen 300 ZX Turbo w/ 450 hp (very comfortable)

And then of course are all the race cars which may not reach those speeds in a straight line but have unbelievable cornering speeds (355 C included).

For the most part I usually feel comfortable if I am driving and I am familiar with the car. I'll go to the limit and over as long as I know the conditions (track layout, runoff areas etc.)

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Nice math! I never figured it that way. I just didn't see the lights on top of the vehicle until it was too late. If he had turned around I would have just pulled over on the side of the road to wait for him. This was between Reno and Vegas and there is NOWHERE to go. Also, the closing speed was so fast I couldn't read what the shield on his door said. Could have been game department or something else for all I know. Makes for a fun story though!!

18. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    The fastest I have ever been on public roads was 140 MPH on my Aprilia. In a car it was 130ish in my 3000 GT VR4. Waaaay to fast for any reason what so ever on public roads.

On the race track. Thats a different story. I have maxed out the Aprilia at Daytona with a 43 tooth rear sprocket and a 16 tooth front at 168-169 MPH and my 200lb a$$ on the back making myself as small as possible behind the bubble. The speedo was indicating over 180 but taking into account error, drag and rpms turned it worked out to be 168-169.

In a car it was at Bridgehampton in a Sera Blue 512TR touching 150 on the main straight.

Cruising speeds on the highway (car or bike) are between 75-80 mph. Depending on the back road, traffic, pavement and other variables it has been as higher for the corner. The equasion typically worked out to be Speed limit X's 2 + 10 MPH. It makes for a knee scraping good time until someone crashes. (Which is why I don't ride on the street anymore.)

19. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    'Bout 75 is good for me on most interstates. I'll stick to 55 on the smaller highways.

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hyopthetically speaking, I have hit the limiter in my 750 at 155mph. Only hit it twice though, car could use another 300 hp or so, even if it is fast enough to out-run crown-vics. :)

Do hit 120 regularily, 130 when really open, and I often do 110 in traffic. At 110mph, this car tracks better, responds faster, and is quieter than the old accord at 60mph.

Best way to avoid getting hit from BEHIND is to avoid having anyone behind you!

21. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    with the right conditions im pretty comfortable at any speed. Ive never taken the land yacht past 105 though. She was pretty solid up too there though. She deserves the title Roadmaster.