Finally chose a porsche | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally chose a porsche

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robbin, Jun 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    The Boxster rules! If you haven't driven one don't pass judgement until you do. Its arguably the best handler of all time. For the twisties it is unsurpassed, it even beat the 911 and the Enzo and all other sports cars in the 700 ft. slalom. Have you seen the new Cayman? Oh baby is it ever on my radar screen. P cars rate up there with the top five. Have you tried yours yet?

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "Had" is the operative word.

The last good-looking 911 interior was in the 993, imo. Porsche has now gone mainstream. Too many gadgets, too many gimmicks, the interior is now way too busy for a purposeful sports car. The Wart and the mandatory LCD screen surrounded by buttons and more buttons are two glaring examples.

Sure, people still flock to Porsche but for me, the 911 has lost much of its form-follows-function appeal.

3. Robbin

Robbin Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    NY
    thanks Whart. I will definitely contact them.

4. JLocke

JLocke Karting

May 26, 2005
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Interesting thing about perceptions. I much prefer the 986 interior over the 987. The newer interior, in my opinion, fits the "ovals" and "Taurus interior" description, actually. It appears to be the result of too many focus groups populated by non-Porsche owners. Looks to me like Porsche is trying to expand its buyer base and to do so they're becoming bland and like everyone else.

Nothing could beat the swept door handles, the solid black leather steering wheel, the simplicity of the gauges of the 986. The new door handles are flat lines (uninspired), the seats look like they're right out of a VW and the aluminum look-alike (is that plastic?) on the steering wheel is very mainstream-car looking.

Oh, yeah! I went shopping for a 911...and bought a Boxster! Much more fun car to drive.

As for the Ferrari decision, we each get to make that wonderful decision for ourselves. If it was my conundrum, and I had an appropriate daily driver (appropriate for work and family), then I'd have to go for the F-car over the 911.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ummm ... NO. I'm in the Porsche capital of the world here in So Cal, and 911's still seem to be mostly weekend cars. Lots of Boxsters, but compared to the BMW's a Porsche is still pretty rare, unless you cruise La Jolla on a weekend - also a good time to see an F-car or two or six. Yeah, a Ferrari sighting is an event, but calling a Porsche a "Chevy" seems overblown.

Porsche is the smallest independent carmaker in the world.

Regarding interiors, yes, the 996 was cheap. Porsche could take some lessons from the guys in Munich. If you're spending $90K on a car, it's not OK to say "well the interior sucks because they spent the money on the drivetrain." My optioned-out '02 325Ci coupe was stunning inside. My 993 also feels very upscale. The 996 I drove felt like a Toyota with a Carrera emblem.

6. Carlo_Costache ancora

BANNED

Jun 20, 2005
    SanRemoIT/CannesFR
    Full Name:
    Gaincarlo
    I feel Porsche are best kept as everyday cars... Im aware of that X50, and they are a heafy price, of which you could have picked up a 355, even 360 and then bought a bmw 3 series for daily driving.
    I keep porsche for the everyday, thrilling , driver and the Ferrari as the end of week celebration. But you, wouldn't even need a Prosche for everyday use...As long as you have a Ferrari for the end of the week, any other car should do fine as a daily driver.

but anyhow, the X50 is a fast one and you'll enjoy that Porsche experience yet again.

7. WIND

WIND Karting
    BANNED

May 10, 2005
    LIGHTHOUSE POINT,FL
    Full Name:
    MARK KAHN
    HI
    I HAD 25 YEARS OF PORSCHE/RELIABLE ETC. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT,
    PORSCHE IS EVEREWHERE..
    A AM NOW LOOKING TO BUY A 360 COUPE..
    A FERRARI IS A FERRARI...JUST A HAPPY ..HAPPY FEELING...
    I ALSO HAD IN 1982 A 308...THEN TO PORSCHE FOR RELIABILITY..
    EVERY DAY DRIVING...
    BUT I HAD TO GO BACK TO A FERRARI..LIKE PORSCHE SAYS
    THERE IS NO .....S U B S T I T U T E....

EVERY TIME I SEE ONE MY HEART RACES...

I AM NOW 58,THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A FERRARI SOUND...
    YOU KNOW THE REST
    GOT TO HAVE ONE
    THANKS
    MARK
    LIGHTHOUSE POINT,FLORIDA...

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Porche is a great car but don't really do it for me. I like the new vettes, probably 20k or more less and 400hp for a daily driver. Nothing feels like an F car.

9. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    I can't say I see it your way. In my area, Porsches are easily 20:1 in ownership. Furthermore, they really have no "shock-appeal" to speak of. I mean, though they're very fast and quite competent sports cars, the 911 bears a striking resemblance (not to mention family lineage) with the VW Beetle. For the most part, throughout my car-awareness life, I've never really given Porsches much of a look, while most people simply gawk, etc. at nearly every Ferrari. Again, not to malign the Porsche's credibility, because they're very high-performance cars.....they're just not a Ferrari

I'd be willing to bet that only 5 out of 100 people would question someone's ability to "buy" an exotic. It's been my experience that the vast majority of people assume someone who drives a Ferrari is wealthy.......The same appears to be true of a Porsche, but to a lesser extent (deserved or not).......these are just my opinions based on observation

10. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Ummmm ... NO. There are several smaller independent carmakers. TVR quickly comes to mind...amongst several others.

11. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sold my 911 bought a 308, sold it a few years later and bought a 914.....which is good, because if I had bought the 914 first I would have never bought the 308......

12. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The conflict lies in having to make a choice...conflict goes away when you can have both...I have wanted a newer Ferrari for sometime, but I know that my Porsche is a must have for day to day driving. the way I delt with the "conflict" was to get both...and because I could not afford the newest flavor of the month, I picked what I thought were great classic examples of each model...355B / 993 C2S :)

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 997s have much better interiors..first class, as does the 987....but also consider the 355, which has horrible interior problems..dash shrinkage, leather on the seats that wears out after a few thousand miles, and console nobs and controls that melt and become guey!! and lets forget the driver instruement cluster that looks a cheap kit car.....and this on a 140k car!!! in fact i would take the interior on a 996 over a 355, and i have owned both...it wasnt until the 550 and then 360 that ferrari started making better quality interiors that might actually last a little while....

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I pass 10+ Porsches every day. So what.

Ferrari makes what, 5000 cars a year? Ford makes 4 million. Ferrari's are special, Porsches are the ordinary sports car. There are no fewer than 4 in the parking garage at my office, about the same number of late model Mustangs. What's so special about that?

15. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think the reason for this post is more rationalizing what the buyer did rather than the true merits of one car relative to another. At the end, for most people, regardless of how it’s packaged in its simplest form it’s all about money. One could drive a 360 for a daily driver and mount the miles and maintenance if you are willing to spend the bucks. Versus Porsche will get you there with a fraction of the cost as well as a scant fraction of the wow factor. For most if not all an F-car is an upgrade over the P-car. Ask yourself if cost of ownership and driving per mile were the same on both cars which would you be driving everyday.

16. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I drove an 04 vette a couple of weeks ago and it was disapointing. The thing is huge with very little road feel, seats are shiny, and the dash seems similar to the ones in Grand Ams. I know they are fast and are also great on the track but they just dont do it for me.
    An early 996 is great value at around $35k. I know the interior could be better but that thing went like stink. It was a bule 1999 Carrera 4 and I was very impressed. I find 328s beautiful but I barely fit in them, they have crappy ACs, and still cost more. Its a touph decision!

17. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I can tell you that I wouldn't enjoy driving my 360 every day as a commuting vehicle. It would just be too much of a hassle waiting 20 minutes for the oil to get to operating temp before I could enjoy it. Plus, it's hard to see how anyone can enjoy a Ferrari while being stuck in traffic on I-5.

The right tool for the job. Keep the Ferrari and, yes, the nice Porsche for the fun stuff and drive something more sensible to get to work and to pick up your shirts.

18. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    #43 Speed Racerette, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Silly Jim. Don't you know? It's not just the car but it's the driver that makes them special....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. RevUrGT3

RevUrGT3 Rookie

Jun 15, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Howdy,

I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for but I think you will find the TT to be an excellent sports car. It is damn fast, very reliable and VERY easy to live with. I see them often on the race track and although some owners look a little concerned about overheating the turbos, I have never seen one go down.

At the end of the day, I think both Fs and Ps deliver a great driving experience. I do not think any other car company gets so close to perfection. P cars have some more alternatives (4wd, NA, turbo, etc) but F are more exclusive (unless it is a CGT or some vintage P). Bottom line is, you can't go wrong either way.

I have never owned a F but I have rented a few in Vegas and Florida. Great machines but I still have not found anything as thrilling as my GT3. Obviously, I am biased :D

As far as the interior looking cheap... I see where you coming from but then again, I am looking at removing my stereo and speakers because I do not use it and it is extra weight... so I might not be the right person to comment on that... :D

Enjoy your car and subscribe to rennlist.com too!

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the gt3 rocks....i have driven one 2 times...wow...faster and more responsive than my 360 spider, just doesnt have the ferrari italian styling or flair, but the gt3 is beautiful in it own teutonic way.....plus , you can put 20k miles a year on a porsche, my cousin has 495k miles on his 85 carrera cab.....try that on your ferrari....lets see, you may belt changes that would be....at least 17 times 8 k dollars equals 136 k in rountine belt chanbe maintiance costs....

21. RevUrGT3

RevUrGT3 Rookie

Jun 15, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    scycle2020,

I agree on the styling. It will never compete with a F but it is neat on its own way, it kinda grows in you... :)

Like I said, I never owned a F car but maintenance is the one thing I hear over and over that could come and bite you... for some, that might be worth the money. This would get amplified if, like me, you do several track days a year.

Again, cost aside, I do not think you can go wrong either way, they both provide an awesome driving experience...

22. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    There is no comparison in the pure adrenalin the Ferrari gives... I am a multiple porsche and ferrari owner... specs might be the same or even better on behalf of the x50, but nothing rivals the purist in the Ferrari...

"every one at the country club has a new porsche.... you gotta watch the guy that shows up in the Ferrari..."

Both awesome cars and have fun!!!

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    This is starting to turn into one of the P v. F-car threads again, and like most of them, it turns on issues like overall mechanical capability and performance vs. passion and styling. Frankly, a broad, generalization about these cars is meaningless- i would rather drive a GT2 than a "standard" 360, or anything earlier, 8 cyl.-wise; as to what they'd say at the country club, i couldn't care less.

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    where is seymour???? porsches can be used as everyday cars...ferraris are more special occassion cars...i remember one post on this site where someone asked about parking your ferrari and a lot of owners said they only park their cars at home and do out and back loops from their house....a porsche you can park and take anywhere....anyone who thinks porsches lack soul and passion needs to drive a gt3, which is totally different animal than a 996tt

25. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, and to be frank, most of the people at my country club are nim rods when it comes to auto knowledge.....