365 GT4 2+2 Clutch replacement | FerrariChat

365 GT4 2+2 Clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mikey365, Jun 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    I am needing to replace the clutch in my 1974 365 GT4 2+2, and wondering if this is a procedure that I can tackle myself. I have heard that the clutch assembly is similar to an american V8, but that the torque tube assembly creates some complications, as the differntial may need to be loosened and pulled back. Some questions:

1. How hard is it to remove the torque tube?

2. I assume that the clutch disk, pressure plate, through-out bearing, , pilot bearing, engine main seal, front and rear trans seals, and front differential seals should all be replaced while the trans is out. Any other recommended serice other than fluid changes?

3. If I choose not to do the job, can anyone recommend a good shop or mechanic within 3 hours of Chicago?

Thank you very much for any feedback. I LOVE my red 365 GT4 2+2! But, the clutch just started to slip a little while I was in INDY. :-(

2. ncipps

ncipps Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Hi,

It can be done yourself but you have to have a good work area and a lot of tools. When they go to an idependant shop or dealer they have a lift and a tranny jack. Do you have these? clutch is a big job.

If you do it yourself plan on getting the flywheel machined.

Nick

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Where are you located?

I can recommend a good shop in Palatine, IL.