F1 teams 'ready to boycott races'. | FerrariChat

F1 teams 'ready to boycott races'.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mr Payne, Jun 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Formula One teams could boycott future races if they get severe penalties for their role in the US Grand Prix fiasco, Minardi boss Paul Stoddart said.

Stoddart told BBC Radio Five Live it would be wrong for F1's governing body the FIA to hand out "draconian bans" at Wednesday's disciplinary hearing.

"In the worst possible situation of some kind of draconian penalty, would the other teams race?" Stoddart said.

"I think we'd have a meeting and you wouldn't guarantee it."

FIA president Max Mosley told BBC Radio Five Live said that all courses of action were open to the FIA.

He said punishment could range from a reprimand to a ban for life - but he added that he thought the punishment would fall between those two extremes.

"What we needed was crisis management and what we got from Mosley as usual was management in crisis"

Stoddart, also speaking to Five Live, said: "That is positively frightening, because if it is anything more than a reprimand [it would be wrong] - the teams were totally innocent victims, as was the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as were the American public.

"It could be anything - I have heard unofficial reports of what it might be, ranging from a $2.5m fine to a suspended ban, to all kinds of possible things. I would hope Max would come to his senses but who knows?"

If the teams were hit with a heavy ban, Stoddart said, "there would be an appeal, it would go to the (FIA) court of appeal, and then it would end up in the civil courts".

Stoddart reiterated his view that Mosley was to blame for the fiasco.

He said Mosley should take "total responsibility" for the decision by seven teams not to race after they had been advised by Michelin that it could not guarantee the safety of its tyres.

Mosley has again defended his decision to block a plan to build a chicane at Indianapolis' final corner.

Michelin tyres at Indianapolis
    The fiasco at Indy was caused by a design aspect of Michelin tyres
    Mosley told Five Live the FIA could not change its rules just because some teams had not brought the right equipment.

But Stoddart, whose team use Bridgestone tyres and did race in the US, admitted that while Michelin had erred, they had made every effort to solve the problem.

"There was an issue with the bonding between the sidewall and tread," he said.

"They chartered a private jet and flew in replacement tyres and found they had the same problem. That was force majeure in my opinion. At that point what we needed was crisis management and what we got from Mosley as usual was management in crisis."

Stoddart denied Mosley's claims that to have put in a chicane would have led to legal and insurance problems in the US.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Personally, if I was one of the 7 teams, this would absolutely be an option to me.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I hope this is a joke. If not I guess I can start celebrating another MS/Ferrari championship now.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    PS is obviously after MM's job and anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I used to think that Paul was just an *******.

I stand corrected, the guy is a **** head.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And it just gets worse :(

Leave the politics to the board rooms guys and lets get on with the racing!
    Pete

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    POWER... who has it? The FIA thinks they have all the Power. But 80% of the F1 teams that didn't race last weekend, just tested their muscle, and now know they have it!

The warning has been issued by the teams... lets see who blinks first.

So far, we learned both sides need to work together (unlike at USGP) or no race!

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Here's a random thought... Think about how the NHL lockout/dispute has really caused people to "care less" about hockey or it's future.

In my opinion any more squabling, boycotts, protests or whatever could forever damage the future fan base for F-1, not ony in this country but overall.

As a near 10 year fan all this crap is getting to be a little too much.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    NHL has been having problems?

9. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    ps is completely right, the fia has no place punishing the teams for what happened. he said there was a problem w/ the bonding between the sidewall and the tread, which isnt a design flaw, its a flaw with the manufacturing equipment. and if the fia does ban the michelin teams, even for a short period of time, they will lose even more fans than they lost at indy, all over the world... no one wants to watch a race w/ 6 cars. also, max mosely is a big political piece of ****, and should step down.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, before everyone else starts using this claim (and in preparation to understand what the grounds are for the meeting on Wednesday), please read the F1 regulations when you get a chance. In particular, look at Article 131.

11. crazynova23

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    f1 regulations have gone too far, thats my whole point, f1 has become more about rules and regulations than making the fans happy. i personally believe that fans should be more important, because without fans, there wouldnt be f1

12. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    does NHL still exist?

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Huh? F1 has been like this since the 50's. "Formula" means the rule book is what it is about.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    WHO DESIGNATED PAUL STODDARD TO BE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE MICHELIN TEAMS ????

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Paul Stoddard did. :D

See my note above.

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    C'mon guys, enough Stoddy bashing! The man is a voice of reason in these tumultuous times.

17. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like MS and Ferrari are back in the running for WDC and Constructor title, meanwhile they can bicker all they want.

18. crazynova23

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    i guess formula 1 doesnt realize that without fans, they dont have money for formula 1... and paul stoddard wasnt trying to be michelin spokesperson, i believe what he meanty was that if theypunish the teams and only have 6 cars racing, the 6 cars racing, save for ferrari will boycott.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You're ready to move too, aren't you?

20. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Sure, they might be able to punish the teams, but that still can't make them race. In the end the teams can force the FIA to do nothing, in order to keep F1 running.

21. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Out before winter.

Suppose this boycott does take place. Which of the Michelin teams (if any) will break ranks and race?

I would guess RBR.

22. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Also, would the 3 teams run 3 cars?

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sauber, BAR, Toyota.

Williams, Renault and McLaren on fence at this time. I hope Flabio comes to the conclusion that he'll pi$$ away his first shot at a championship since Michael left Bennetton soon...

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    BAR, are you serious? They've been spanked like a little child by the FIA the past two years. If any team would be against the FIA power structure, I would think that it is BAR.

Sauber, definitely not due to the BMW connection.

Toyota, I think they'll stay wherever Honda is...

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I get a kick out of you guys... Rules-are-Rules.

Rules only last until we decide to break them for the GREATER GOOD (the fans).

The Vatican just changed the rules to make our last Pope into a Saint faster because he was so popular and had lots of fans.

F1 couldn't help 140,000 fans in the seats on Sunday? I guess Max thinks he's more pure than the Pope?