Help!! Potential Paint Damage! | FerrariChat

Help!! Potential Paint Damage!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Janet, Jun 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Pacific Northwest / Florida
    Full Name:
    Janet
    I apologize in advance for posting a problem on a Pcar and not a Ferrari but since they all have paint and this is a paint and detailing related problem I am posting here and invite the moderators to redirect this post to the right place.

I am on a road trip enjoying wonderful scenery and twisty roads and then ... I check in to a Marriott.

Here's the problem: Last night the hotel sprinklers came on and sprayed my car. By the time I checked the car late this morning the car was covered in white spots. The guards red paint is spotted, the black soft top is spotted white and the wheels are spotted. I have spent the day trying to correct the problem and nothing is helping. I finally found a "touchless" car wash and that didn't help at all. I have tried various wax products and nothing touches it. The hotel employees told me that they think the spots are hard water stains.

Any ideas of what to do to get rid of the water spots? The spots are MAJOR spots and very obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated! I am panicked! Thanks!

2. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Don't try anymore waxes etc-Take it to a detailer who should be able to easily rectify the situation.
    Hopefully you reported this to the hotel who should foot the bill.

3. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If the system has never fully been activated it has cutting oil in it from the initial installation plus it is the nastiest water you never want to see because it has been sitting in the pipes for who knows how long.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Calm down and don't overreact, there's probably nothing to worry about.

Life is too short and this is a simple matter

If you reported it to the hotel, tell them you're taking the car to a professional detailer and tell them that you expect them to pay for the work, if they haven't already offered to do so.

It's just hard water stains, which a pro will be able to remove.

Ok Janet, now take a deeeeep breath! :)

5. KNanthrup

KNanthrup Karting

Jan 14, 2004
    Issaquah, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    agreed

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    If it's just hardwater spots, wash the car then go over the spots with detail spray and paint cleaning clay. Test on a small portion first.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Spots are easy work for a detailer. Don't worry, make sure that the Hotel agrees they will pay even it might mean a couple hundred bucks to fix and take it to someone rather than trying things on your own. Automotive clay will make short work of spots as will a good paint cleaner liquid or light swirl remover. These things are readily available but take practice to use well.

Sunny

8. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    Thank you to all for the responses.

I know it is "just a car" but I was concerned that time was of the essence in removing the water spots to avoid permanent damage. If there was a product to use immediately for a certain cure I wanted to get right to it. The people that have seen my car have gasped and been rather shocked at the condition. It is not a pretty sight. Not only is the paint showing the spots but also the black fabric of the top, the wheels, and all of the window rubber. The entire front, top, and driver's side are thrashed. Not good. At least I know now that this will be a job to have professionally handled. Thank you!

9. ItalianSpeed

ItalianSpeed Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just get some rubbing compound and hand buff it out. Use some muscle power and don't sweat it. WOMEN!!!

10. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    #10 Janet, Jun 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, getting the hotel to take care of the damage might be a struggle. I have stayed at hotels hundreds of times. This was the first time (other than valet) that there was any written mention of liability. In order to get a parking permit at the hotel the guests are required to sign a release of liability, which I signed. I will continue to pursue the matter with the hotel but for now I will head home and get the repairs started.

Here is a trip "happy snap" before the problems occurred :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    hi Janet
    If the problem is due to hardwater then i have a fix for you (it work perfectly on my 550).
    Use a drop of limescale remover. this will immediastely dissolve the stain, then wipe and rinse with clear water. i don't know if this is advisable for the soft top though, but on the paint it was absolutely magical.

12. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Not wanting to cause a big problem here, but you should be able to get rid of hard water spots with a little bit of elbo grease, as for those who think the Hotel should cover a detailing.....why? It got wet from some sprinklers....I believe acid rain is worse for your paint than hard water, who do you send your detailing bills to when you get caught in the rain. Clay it and move on, and don't park near water sprinklers.

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The sprinklers shouldn't be set up so that they can spray on guests cars in the parking lot.

If it's windy, the sprinkling system should be turned off.

The fact that Janet had to sign a waiver to park in the lot, tells me that the hotel knows they have some problems (probably more problems than just water spots on cars), and they should do something to correct them.

Never have I had to sign a waiver, and I've stayed at a lot of hotels!

14. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
  15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've used it with good success in the past. Available at some auto stores. Just let it soak for ~10 minutes to get the calcium build up to break loose.

16. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    "The sprinklers shouldn't be set up so that they can spray on guests cars in the parking lot."

Well as most sprinkles don't spray exactly in a straight line, I think the person who is really concerned about getting his car wet should keep it far away from any lawns or plants. I am sure that all of my cars have been hit by sprikler water at some time during it's life.....no big deal, my car also drives in the rain and sometimes even gets dusty from day to day use......

"If it's windy, the sprinkling system should be turned off."

I highly doubt that the Hotel would be overly concerned about whether it is windy or not, I would imagine they water their lawns and plants to keep them looking green.....windy or not.

"The fact that Janet had to sign a waiver to park in the lot, tells me that the hotel knows they have some problems (probably more problems than just water spots on cars), and they should do something to correct them."

The waiver has probably everything to do with vandalism....and not water from the sprinkler water getting their car a little dirty....but I could be wrong.

"Never have I had to sign a waiver, and I've stayed at a lot of hotels!"

Every time you stay at a paid parking lot you are getting a waiver that holds the parking lot owner not responsible for damage and theft....at least most that I have been to say something to that effect.

The point of my post is that, it's just water....go home and wash your car, trying to claim the costs for detailing is IMHO a little silly.

Of course it is just my opinion

17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Janet, let us know what the remedy is.

18. ItalianSpeed

ItalianSpeed Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    Sam
  19. PMDDMD

PMDDMD Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Better have those spots tested for urea crystals. May not have been the sprinklers at all but the jealous S2000 owner parked next to you.;)

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    From a transplanted Canuck, I salute you!

We all have opinions, be they right or wrong.

In this case.........who knows? :)

21. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Has anyone noticed that Janet is a babe?

22. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    YEP, Yep yep!!!!!

Wish I lived out that way.......but alas, she's probably already taken?

If she isn't, I'm willing to travel!!!! :)

'Have plane; will travel'!

23. ItalianSpeed

ItalianSpeed Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    She's hot! Must be taken.

24. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    Another thank you to all for the suggestions and comments. :)

I am back home now and will try to find a remedy. I took the car to one detail shop and they said REPAINT! The detail shop took one look and said no way could they get the spots off. The only part of the car not spotted is the passenger side. Oh no! I will try everything else first.

I will head out and find another detail shop for a second opinion then I will try "Ducky" if I can find it.

This is the strangest thing to have happen and I do appreciate the help. Thanks again!

25. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Even though you signed a waiver, that doesn't mean much IF normal, reasonable care of your car was not taken. For example, if a parking garage collapsed due to neglect of the structure, they would be liable.

By the same token, if their sprinkler system ruins the paint on cars, that is not a reasonable risk a car owner would take. So they ARE responsible no matter that you signed a waiver...unless it specifically states damage from the sprinkler that is! If you do need a repaint, you need a lawyer!

Ken