DINO work I've done | FerrariChat

DINO work I've done

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bob Zambelli, Jun 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    #1 Bob Zambelli, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been away from the repair businees for a while but I still take care of two Dinos in upstate NY.
    The one in the pictures is one of them. One of the most significant changes I made was to remove the original Marelli alternator and replace it with a Mitsubishi unit. Approximately one fifth the cost and it does evertything better.

I also custom fitted the headlight covers. Had to fabricate all the bracketry.

Bob Z.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    nice, Bob. How did the headlight covers fit? did you have to do any trimming? How was the curvature; did you have to ease the radius in any direction w/ a torch? I bought a set for my 365GT2+2 and will have to do both . . .

3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Bryan - they were substantially oversize so trimming was in order. Once that was accomplished, the curvature was perfect. If you have to re-shape, be very careful - one "whoops" and it's scrap time.

To heat, I suggest the hot air guns - much more uniform than a smoke wrench.

A Dremel moto-tool is the ticket for trimming. It took a few hours to do each one but the gap is within 1/32" all around.

The bracketry was fabricated from anodized aluminum.

Bob Z.

4. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Bob, great looking Dino, they are so worth the efforts and the prettiest thing around. Would you share a photo of your conversion and what you had to do to accomplish it? I may have to do the same soon.

Best regards Gary

5. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Great looking car. I'm interested in what was required to swap to the Mitsu alternator. I've been having alternator/regulator problems lately and asked about changing the alternator. The shop wasn't too keen on that. I'd like to see what was involved in your swap. Did you have to fabricate a new bracket? Is this Mitsu alternator an internally regulated unit?

Thanks Bob,

Manny

6. scotgm

scotgm Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm in Binghamton with a 72 246 GTS-can you recommend someone in my area-thanks-Scot

7. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Bob:
    Gorgeous Dino. I just had headlight covers fabricated and installed on my 72 246GT so I know what is involved. Great work and congrats!
    The wheels also look terrific..... OEM or aftermarket?
    -Brian

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Beautiful job on the lights but where did you get those wheels? What size and width? What tire size?

Thanks, John

9. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    I know lyle tanner has the light covers at ferraripartsexchange.com Where did you get your light cover if i might ask.
    thanks

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Yes, my Mits GTO's alternator is rated at 90 amps off the dealer lot. Packs a decent load in a small package. I had a concern with adding a more powereful audio amplifier. It wasn't a problem. Not an expensive part either, common with certain Mits. models.

Great work with that Dino, Bob.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do you guys have a part number for the Mitsu Alternator?

And did you retain the original regulator, ir is it part of the alternator itself?

The main fuse on the car is 60 amp, right? Wouldn't a 90 amp alternator cause problems there?

And, my last nosey question of the day. Did you have to fashion custom brackets to make it work?

Thanks,

Dave

12. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    WOW, what interest!! Glad you fellows have practicality in mind.

I'll try and answer all.

I photogaphed the work and sent the shots to the owner - I'll try and get them back.

It has a built-in regulator. You can leave the stock one in - just pull off the wires.

You DO NOT need to make a custom bracket - just some spacers.

You must adapt the DINO drive pulley - simple lathe work.

You NEED NOT remove the engine.

Best of all, there is no cutting - if for some insane reason you wish to replace the stock alternator, it's a nut-and-bolt job.

I got the alternator from JC Whitney - they were clearing out some overstock. I believe it was from a Honda Accord. BUT, virtually any modern alternator will work.

Note that you CANNOT use the air pump with the replacement alternator - there is no drive.

As I recall, the whole job, parts and labor was around $325.00

Here's the REALLY good news - if you have a boat, you can use the original alternator for an anchor.

Bob Z. 610 328 4000, ext 551.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ha! I already have a 1974 MGB transmission for that . . .

14. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    They look like the Campagnolo wheels that came with the optional wide fender flares (which this car doesn't have)- 7.5"x14". The original tires were the same as on the standard 6.5"-wide Cromodora wheels- 205/70x14 Michelin XWX (actually, the originals were XVRs, but they haven't been made since the '70s) or Goodyear G800 Grand Prix (LONG out of production).

15. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, John and Ira - the car was purchased used from, I believe, FAF. I'm pretty sure the wheels were on the car at the time. Although they do appear wide, during the 1000 or so miles I drove the car, there was never a sign of rubbing or interference.

Bob Z.

16. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Bob- The 7.5"-wide Campys fit just fine under the standard fenders- I've seen several other Dinos that had them. At one time, you could buy the wheels from Campagnolo even if you hadn't ordered them as part of the fender/wheel option ($780!) from Ferrari, and these same wheels ("Elektron", I think Campy called them) were available in other sizes as well.
    Ira

17. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Thanks, Ira - good info.
    Out of curiosity, what was the original wheel width for the 246? I've heard both 6 and 6.5"

Bob Z.

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Bob- They were 6.5"x14" bolt-on Cromodoras on the 2nd and 3rd series 246s cars, with the wider Campys on the few cars with the optional wide fender flares. I'm not so certain about the early, knock-off hub cars though . . .
    Ira

19. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Ira - I had a Dino in my shop with 13" knock-off wheels - I was told that it was the only Ferrari ever made with that size.

Any guesses as to what car? (hint - it was a 206)

Bob

20. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Geez- one of the 206 prototypes? A 206 SP? In any case, that's bizarre.

21. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    A full set of these wheels (new condition) for sale at Eurospares for 795 Pounds Sterling ex VAT and shipping.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Did you ever find the part number for the alternator?

23. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Bob helped me get my alternator set up all together a few years ago( I used a GM unit). I will say that I suspect the alternator pulley which I had machined to a more narrow groove may be causing my belts to snap. I have gone through 3 of them & i have to figure it out. It may be a cause of concern so please consider this when doing the change to the new alternator. Despite this issue it is a much better set up than the stock alternator.