This 550 seems like a steal... | FerrariChat

This 550 seems like a steal...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Wiseguy, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
  2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    How is it so cheap? It's an action and it doesn't have a "buy it now" price so, it might sell for a high price.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have Daytona seats but it says it does.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    True that there is no buy it now, but there is no reserve either. The other cars with no bids still indicate (reserve not met) next to the starting bid price. This does not have that indication. Could be a real steal if noone bids until the last minute.
    BT

4. Carlo_Costache ancora

BANNED

Jun 20, 2005
    SanRemoIT/CannesFR
    Full Name:
    Gaincarlo
    if that is legit, thats a great deal... I've heard good things about the 550 on the forums, although, haven't driven one myself.
    But it seems impossible, if a brand new 575 is in the 200ks - the 550s should still be atleast 120k...and this with low miles should be well over 90 grand.

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    88k is not the selling price...it could still have a reserve, the seller just didnt post it on e bay....ha can take the car off auction at anytime...even if it say no reserve, they can take off auction at any time...100k would be a fair price assuming there are no issues with thecar....its a buyer market for the 550s...a good daily driver, except for high maintaince cost and that legendary ferrari quality.....

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There are still 4 days left it will end up around 150,000 grand easy, people are watching it they just like to wait for the last second to bid. If you get it at that price then you stole it. And if there is a reserve on the car it's either met or he never put one up there. Either way whatever the last bid is he'll have to sell it for that much.

7. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Woe to the sap that pays $150K for that car or any 1999 550.

Nick

8. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    $ 150 grand for a 1999. Serious???

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    A '99 US model 550 with under 10K and no stories should bring 125+K. A Euro version is typically valued 20% less or approx. 100K.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Those seats seem to have a lot of creases for only 6K miles. Black and Florida car are other things that'd make me want to closely inspect it.

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    No, just speculating, it will end up over 100 though. I have seen stranger things though. Sometimes you get into a bidding war and end up over paying just cause you don't want to lose. Either way good luck with that one

12. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    I was looking at these when buying my 355. I would say upper 90s or lower 100s is a good price for a decent 99.

13. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    That's about what I was thinking, although Sports car company had a 99 with about 15k on it for about $110k if I recall, and it was a 99. Seems that this isn't too far off the mark.. I figure the dealer who has it snagged it for cheap as it's a Euro car and probably has 80-84k or so in it.. if it gets 1 bid he makes money and goes on to the next.

I don't recall that the Euro cars are really any different, are they? I'm looking for a cheapish one only because I am going to mile the heck out of it. I figure I'll keep the car for 5 years, put 70-80k on it and then sell it for, umm, not much.

14. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Euro cars, or grey market cars, usually sell for less because there's a percieved stigma that surrounds these car; eg, they're somehow tainted.

Truth is, it's the same car, it just got here by different (eg, not nefarious) means.

However, the grey market cars, especially Ferraris, when new, will not have their warranties honored by dealers per Ferrari SpA - this was very common during the Spyder rush where 360 spyders were very hard to come by, or those for sale were insanely priced, so people got to importing grey market euro spyders and selling them for reasonable (relativly) money to US customers. Ferrari came back and made it clear that these cars could not be serviced by authorized dealers nor would their warranties be honored - much of the occluding stigma surrounding the value of these car, I believe, grew out of that "mis-understanding."

If the car checks out, and you should certainly have a PPI done, then it's not a bad deal but it's certainly not a "steal" as US cars with low teen milage go for 110k or thereabouts. (Sheehan has one on his site for that money and it's a US car, IIRC).

Another thing to consider is to verify that the title is infact clean as if it has multiple owners, someone may have "washed" the title as some states aren't as careful about retaining title history as others - if this is a single owner car, then I'd say it's a moot point but something worth looking into carefully.

Beautiful car BTW but before you start using it as a serious milage workhorse you may want to get you maintenance budget squared away and also make sure it's had the recalls done; wheels cracking & motor mounts come to mind, the rest you can find on the NHTSA site.

15. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    BEST COLOR COMBO EVER!!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT DARTH!!!!!!!!

16. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Six thousand miles my ass.

Look at the seats. Get a look at the steering wheel. Blow the picture up.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yah - There is actually wear on the seats & they are pretty faded - Like it has spent a bit of time in the sun.

18. Francesco_Baracca

Francesco_Baracca Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    My .02.....

$88K is ALL the wholesale money. This is a 6 year old Ferrari in a ho-hum color and a model (550) that isn't all that popular. Plus it's a EURO car. That's why a dealer hasn't bid on the car, $88 is high wholesale, low retail. BTW, the seats in these cars wear VERY easily, these seats are in decent shape for mileage.

19. sultanattar

sultanattar Rookie

Oct 29, 2004
    Saudi Arabia
    Hello,

I am have decided to sell my car, however people do not appriciate cars in my part of the world (Saudi Arabia) and the re-sale is not so grea. I was wondering if anyone could reffer me to someone who would be interested in purchasing the car overseas, my asking price is not high, its a 1997 Rosso Corsa 550 maraneelo with 23,500 KM the intereiori is blackand its in good condition considering the age of the car. i am willing to sell it for $85,000 with all the transportation on the buyer, i also added a Larini Systems exhaust on the car.

Thanks

20. ferrari575maranello2005

Jun 22, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi, would be nice if you can post a nice serie of pics related to your car letting us know more about the history (how many owners, full service histroy, availabilit of all docs, manuals and tool bags, etc).

Thanks.

Ricky

21. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The bidding just ended. No reserve. Sold at $88k. - Tim