Debadging question: When is it too late to take badges off? Too much paint fade? | FerrariChat

Debadging question: When is it too late to take badges off? Too much paint fade?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ryalex, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've been thinking about taking the OEM badging off of the trunk of my Subaru, which is now two years old. Stored outside, waxed quarterly.

Do you just heat it up with a hairdryer and peel the lettering off?

2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    You could remove the badge, check it out and reinstall if you're not happy with the fade, if any. Just a thought.

3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, I've been thinking that. Just didn't want a re-application to fail and I'm left driving a "SUBAR" :)

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I put shields on my 308 shortly after buying it 1 1/2 years ago. I pulled them off about a month ago and you can't tell that they were ever there. This is on who-knows-how-old paint, but of course it's garged unless it's out driving around too. I agree, try it and see.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Very dependant on the color and the climate (sun). White of course really would not matter. I took all of the emblems off of my white truck with no problems. I took the emblems off of my 16 year old black Ferrari to clean them and saw no lines.

A friend of mine took the emblems off of his black WRX (2 years old) with no problem. Required a little buffing to make the lines invisible. You will probably see more adhesive lines than actual fading.

Metallics and bright colors exposed to lots of sun may show marks, but a good buffing may make it worthwhile. Remove one letter and see how it looks after cleaning, buffing and waxing.

Also, there are many colored aftermarket logos on Ebay for Subarus, that you may like.

To remove them, I let it sit in the sun, then carefully pried up the corner with a plastic Bondo spreader and worked my way through. Concentrate on cutting through the adhesive and not touching the paint. WD40 works well for removing the adhesive. Also if the adhesive is thick enough, dental floss cuts through it well.

6. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    LOL. Then again, you could find yourself driving a BAR; perhaps, better than JV ever did!

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    SNAP! :D

8. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What I want to do is get the large "Turbo" script badge made for the Cayenne and put it in the middle, instead of the SUBARU and WRX badges.

We'll see what happens. It's an 04 but I've had it two years now, and I was waiting to mod it until the main warranty expired at 36k mi... I'm at 34k now and itching to fix it up the way I've wanted it. Bought a red caliper paint kit the other day, probably going to get it tinted too.

9. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Ryan, after heating letters with hair dryer or heat gun, use dental floss to remove and then the letters won't break.