Help:I need to buy an automated pool cleaner | FerrariChat

Help:I need to buy an automated pool cleaner

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by HMS, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Hey guys...I'm looking to buy an automatic pool cleaner. There are so many out there and the prices really vary. Which one do you guys who have a pool and an automatic bottom cleaner, recommend? Kreepy Krauly?

Thanks in advance

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I never had much luck with the cheapies that run off the pool's suction/filter system like the Barracuda or Kreepy Krawler.

This is a self powered machine that really works well and does not get gagged on sticks and oak leaves (expensive but worth it, BTW I'm not promoting this particular vendor or price, it was just a quick reference to the model on eBay):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66782&item=4390415246&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That is the exact machine I have and am very pleased.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Hey Uro, I have a roughly 20x40 pool, have been using the good old Polaris for some time, but hate looking at the tubing. I assume you don't leave the Dolphin in the pool - do you run it, then put it away for a day or two until you need it again?

I could just disconnect the Polaris, of course, but I'm pretty lazy.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ZACK,

I HAVE A AQUA-BOT TURBO, COSTS ABOUT 1500.00, WORKS GREAT AND NEVER LOOK BACK, MY POOL IS ABOUT 700 SQ FOOT AND 24,OOO GALLONS

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I'm guessing this is an after thought with the pool? The pool builder did not have one installed?

There a few variables you need to consider before choosing a pool sweep, especially if you are DIY.

There are vac cleaners and sweep cleaners which require either a water suction or water boost feed. Vac sweeps can connect directly to your skimmer with an attachment plate or can plug directly into the side of the pool with a connector that the builder installed. Vac sweeps work with most any pool that didn't have a cleaner installed with the pool.

The best Vac cleaners:
    Kreepy Krauly and Hayward Pool Vac

Booster pump type cleaners need their own pump to work, or in the case of the Polaris 380, works off the existing return line at the filter. Now, if you are looking at your existing pump and filter setup and you only see a pump and filter, chances are you are going to need to buy a booster pump that goes with it and run extra pipe out to your pool. You have two options to feeding water to your sweep, either dangle a hose over the deck, or drain the pool and drill a hole in the wall for the special adapter. I don't reccomend that DIY. If your pool builder didn't put that in, that's the only way you are going to get a boosted water supply to your pool for your seep.

Best Pool sweeps:

Polaris 280, this one is gear driven
    (The 380 and the 360 is a pain in the ass. Two filters that keep clogging up prevent this one from working at its full potential. Secondly, these models are belt driven. One day you'll look in in your pool and see that your sweep has died, well, chances are the damn belt broke. The 280 is virtually maint. free. The only thing you have to service is dump is the bag.)

The above models I mentioned are the best of the best. These models last the longest in their service in all their miserable lives underwater :D

Source: My dad owns a swimming pool repair service.. and yours truly helped once upon a time.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Definitely stay away from the Barracuda. I highly recommend either the Navigator or the Pool Vac Ultra by Navigator. Been using the navigator for three years with no repairs needed.

BT

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #7 writerguy, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've had both a Kreepy Krauly and a belt driven Polaris. I hated the Kreepy. It was noisy, it got jammed all the time, and it generally sucked. (;)) The Polaris is less maintenance than the Kreepy was, but I don't love it either. Mine is the belt driven model, and I frequently have to figure out why it's not working as well as it should. You get used to the hoses, but the rest is kind of a pain. If were buying another, I'd probably get the gear driven Polaris, just because I'm familiar with how they work.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Both of my pools have had Polaris 280s in them. Great little device, just keeps running. Hoses are ugly, but that doesn't matter much to me.

10. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    thanks guys..

11. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    If you're looking into pressure side cleaners with booster pumps, check out the hayward phantom.

12. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Last year, I traded a Polaris for a Hayward Viper. Both use a booster pump which is the only way I'd go. The Polaris was gear driven which means that, over time, the plastic gears wore out and had to be replaced. The Viper is driver with water pressure (I'm pretty sure it is) which seems better than the gear setup.

Either way, a sweep that runs off of a booster pump works very well.

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Actually i use it several times upon opening then only 2 or 3 times the rest of the season. I'm pretty lazy about it so if I don't see stuff on the bottom, I dont use it. It has a 8 or maybe 12 hour program then cuts itself off. You pull out the filter bag, turn it inside out and hose it off, let it dry them put it back in. I leave the skimmer running 24/7 all season, I guess most people do that??

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I suppose it depends on what kind of trees you have around the pool. We have a massive oak that overhangs part of the pool, so the Polaris is pretty much required all the time.

When we're swimming we just make sure the booster pump is off and set the crawler next to the wall -- no problem

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    24/7? Damn, you must have cheap electricity where you live. Mine runs 8-10 hours/day, depending on the time of year. I run it at night in the winter, daytime in the summer.

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Winter? Lord I love Texas!

I open May 1, close August 30.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too have neem well pleased with my Polaris. I have a black one that doesn't discolor like the while/blue ones do.

18. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    I also have the Harward. It came highly recommended and has been fine. No problems whatsoever. Also, comes with a one year warranty and the dealer said to bring it back in right before the warranty expires and they will replace a bunch of moving parts on it. Don't like the hose though, but I guess you get used to it. Better than seeing a bunch of stuff on the bottom of the pool.

19. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    We had problems with algae until we started leaving the filter running 24 hours a day.

Also, adding No Phos or some such product, that binds the phosphorus in the water so that the algae cannot benefit from it, made all of the difference in the world. Since using No Phos, we rarely have to shock the pool and our use of chemicals has probably been cut almost in half. Don't have the stench of chlorine anymore because we rarely have to really shock it.

We have row of about 20+ hedgerow trees on the lot line behind the pool, that drop lots of "stuff" into and around the pool. But, we only have to run the Viper pool sweep about 4 hours a day (usually in the evening).

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Interesting thread, we have a Polaris 280, the black one as we have a darker bottom pool. Works well, no problems. We're in the mid-Atlantic area, open as early as we can usu mid-March and close in Nov or December - occasionally I have to run 24/7 to lessen freeze risk. DE filter/chlorine. At our old house, with trees ringing the pool, we always closed before the leaves fell. We run the skimmer during daylight hours only, and the Polaris for an hour or two a day.

21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have 2 Kreepy Krawlers in my pool since 1999. I have had to replace parts over the years and also use thrusters to avoid getting caught at steps since my pool is so irregularly shaped. I also have a concrete post in the pool to hold up the roof over a patio.

22. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Polaris 360 has been great for me! Keeps my 28,000 gallon pools clean clean clean.

23. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Taking a que from Ryan in digging up old posts ;) ......no, actually, this is cool, I just saw this thing today.

Polaris has a new kicka$$ sweep out

Polaris 480Pro

If you already own a Polaris, here's what cool about the new one,
    * QUAD jets with larger sweep diameter to scoop up acorns and large leaves.
    * Stainless steel chain drive(just like vintage Ferrari's!)
    * Zipper bag, no more velcro that eventually gets weak over time
    * Oversized tires, new wheel style
    * cool F50-like spoiler looking handle
    * UV resistant materials, as you know, the older Polaris' seem to fade out.

Pictures, info and all that other stuff here:
    http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/home.htm

24. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm diggin' this one out of the grave yard:)

OK whats todays best automatic pool cleaner?

Im thinking about an Aquabot or the Polaris 280. Any new automatic cleaners out there?