Installing a 328 xippered boot cover | FerrariChat

Installing a 328 xippered boot cover

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A while back, the zippered boot cover for my trunk finally gave up the ghost. I could have replaced the zipper, but the vinyl itself was rotted and torn, and the fabric lining was stained.

I finally got around to buying a replacement one from Ferrari Parts Exchange. Optimally I should have taken it down to a professional for install, but I decided to give it a shot myself. As it happens, it didn't come out too bad, although if it were a show car I'd have paid the money.

[size=+2]I am not a professional, and I don't know if this is the right way to install it, but this is based off of the quickie instructions I got from the vendor and from figuring it out as I went. Use at your own risk. [/size]

The first pic shows the original cover after it was removed. To remove it, first unscrew the four screws near the boot latches, then remove the rubber gasket that fits around the boot. The vinyl cover will peel off of the boot opening. Clean the old glue residue at this time. Note the typically Italian quality of build as it related to the boot side panels ;)

The second pic shows the screw holes in the old cover. The third pic shows the holes missing in the new cover. At this point I was irritated, thinking "i paid $249 for this and it's not even done right!" These holes, or lack thereof, play into the install later.

The cover's not quite accurate for the 328. The detailing on the ends of the zippers themselves are wrong, and the next two pics show the difference between the (I presume) OEM zipper pull and the new cover's zipper pull

To install the new cover, you must first start by screwing the new cover in place at both latches, keeping it parallel with the boot opening and setting your tautness here. This is where I figured out why there were no screw holes: mine were at different distances on each side. I suspect that every car will have some variance here. To get the screws in I had to remove some staples from the bottom side of the cover, otherwise the staples interfered with the screws.

Once it's screwed in, pull it taut over the far edge of the boot. Place your gasket back over the boot edge and push it back down. You should be able to adjust the tautness by loosening the rubber gasket, pulling on the cover, and pressing it back down. The corners on mine did not want to go back in place, due to the gasket being out of shape. A new gasket is recommended during this procedure. I had to use silicon spray to force the gasket back down, that's the residue in the final pics.

Once you're happy with it, loosen one side of the gasket on the edge closest to the motor and lift the cover edge. Place a glue of your choice (I used goop contact cement because I had it available) on the metal edge of the boot, and then replace the vinyl and the gasket. Repeat for the other side of that edge.

You could run the cement all the way around, but with one edge cemented and the other screwed down, I wasn't worried about it. I might be wrong, we'll see in a month.

Once everything's where you want it, use a knife, xacto, or weapon of your choice to trim the excess materials.

You're done.

Comments and corrections are welcome.
    --t

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks Tillman for the writeup, along with pics!

3. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Thanks Tillman - could be useful....one day! Cheers, MARK

4. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks a lot Tillman, Very good explanation about this job.It's very helpful for me because I have to do this also and even in the front.Regards 308ROB

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found the pics on an old hard drive, thought I'd add them back to the post.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    By the way, if this WAS to be for a concours car, the zipper sliders/pulls can be swapped with a standard #5 YYK zipper, which is what was used originally by the factory in both 308's and 328's.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Looks fine to me--You did a good job.

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Nice ... I bookmarked this last year because my zipper was shot. Thought I'd have to do this.... BUT
    I had my shoe repair guy take a look at it... he initially said "no way", looked again, then again, started messing with it....
    20 minutes later, he had put a new pull mechanism (no, not original), but it works like a charm, cost me $20 (including tip!)

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yes, it's usually just the slider mechanism that goes bad, not the entire zipper, though it seems that way when the slider can't make the zipper close.