Wired open by-pass valve on 355 with Tubi?? | FerrariChat

Wired open by-pass valve on 355 with Tubi??

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chaa, Jun 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Just read another post on another thread. A guy has wired open the by-pass valve on his Tubi equiped and hiper flow (?) pipes.
    My question is how would it sound and has anyone done it on here? I ask becourse i have the de-cat Capristo set up and it seems that the Caprsto is finely tuned to have two sound levels and tones. The first levelbeing a low down rumbel and the second stage when the valve opens a higher and differant pitch sound which does not resemble the first level what so ever :D. I cant see how wiring will make the Capristo/Tubi sound any better becourse of the above, on a standard system yes i can see the reason.
    I am looking at the Capristo/Tubi as a very expensive musical instument and thinking will this be a waisted exorcise, what say you dudes?

2. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Calling GrahamS...

(his is wired open).

Ric.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    just wire it open and go for a drive if its better leave it if not put it back to standard or ring karl verdi he will know

4. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I've got the same set up as you but have also wired open the by pass valve.

To be honest it's a little agricultural at idle and I can't deny that you lose that second stage transition.

But, it's a lot noisier around town and the sound bounces magnificently off buildings at low revs :D

There's a video of my exhaust knocking around on here somewhere. See if you can find it and listen for yourself.

At the end of the day it's only a 5 minute job to wire it open so if you don't like it you're not stuck with it

5. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul

It's not gonna do any damage wiring it open then?

6. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Don't think so. In fact I was told the opposite in that it had prevented heat from building up and saved my cats from totally disintegrating(this was before I took the cats off of course!)

Edit: Chaa, I presume you're going to the Conkers on Sunday? If so then I'll give you a demo of how it sounds and you can see for yourself if it's the way you want to go.

7. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've just read on another thread that it will damage the exhaust headers! Worth thinking about.

8. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Have you got a link to this thread?

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i cant see how it would damage the manifolds al it does is letting the exhaust gases out quicker without going through a valve

10. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Not everything said on FChat is true. In fact, quite a high percentage of it is bollox !

Ric.

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks for your responces:) It never crossed my mind to do it, i was just interested to know why. So if Graham has the same setup as my self and has wired it open then it must be a good sound becourse he knows what the Capristo de-cat sound like standard. :)

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For what it's worth, I thought it sounded great at idle too :)

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I cant find that link, but i bet its come from some self styled F.chat ferrari tecy from across the pond:D..............what?........what have i said now?.....:D

14. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Stick some K&N filters in too, if you haven't already done so

15. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Done that:) And furry dice.

16. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Have you got an Essex boy "Kevin and Sharon" sun strip at the top of your windscreen too? :D

17. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    No... were i get?:D

18. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
  19. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul

The dude was from Switzerland................(I think you may have gone unnoticed.......hang on, we'll give 'em time to finish their brekkie!)

20. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Most of the rubbish come from *whispers* 'other countries'...........Chaa!...............Chaa, I'm on my way......

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea man, i just read it. The guy is asking the question could a wired open valve cause the headers to go? IMO they are going to go anyway if its time, the 355s have a history of this:(
    Any way i stick by my words, had it been the statment "wireing the valve open WILL and DOES cause the headers to go" then that would have come from across the.....:D ...........hey i say what i like and say it like it is:D

22. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As you say, the manifolds go anyway, it is down to a specific design fault as far as I can see.

Can't see why the bypass valve being open or shut would make any difference, seeing as it opens and closes all by itself in normal use.

23. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul

If it opens and closes, then why does it close?

24. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Paul

EU drive-by noise is I believe the primary reason it closes, it is also alleged to give a bit more torque at lower revs with the valve shut due to greater back pressure

As others have said open or closed won't affect the Headers/Manifolds which basically are made of metal that is too thin

25. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    And YOU used to slag off TonyH for recommending Karl Verdi:)