430 Start button on wheel, It's gimmicky, not functional | FerrariChat

430 Start button on wheel, It's gimmicky, not functional

Discussion in '360/430' started by sixcarbs, Jun 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Does anyone else think having the start button on the steering wheel is silly? I understand the concept of putting important switces you may frequent while driving on the wheel but a starter button???

How often do you have to hit the start button once you are rolling? O

So it's just in the way.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Now that I actually think about it, that does seem silly.....would if you adjust your hands and accidently hit it on some street? Are you sure the car shuts off once that buttons hit?

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I doubt it turns it off or even activates the starter once the motors running, just a silly place for it. A head lamp or high beam switch would make more sense.

The Enzo has a lot of buttons on its steering wheel, but the starter button is not one of them.

4. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Never been in an F430 but my s2000 had a starter button and it was just another neat little feature. Not really that big of a deal or annoyance.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    buttons have come into fashion, but are in fact stupid lol.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think they are just trying to give more of an F1 feel. It seems kinda cool to me.

7. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    i love the start button and a lot of other companies are starting to think so as well....Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Lexus just to name a few. in my opinion just to have one is cool. to question its location, may seem like you have too much time on your hands!

8. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    Cars started out with floor shifters. Then went to levers mounted on the steering column. Then back to the floor. Now once again to levers on the steering column. I predict that after this becomes old news again, the floor will be rediscovered.

After they got past handcranks (!), cars had separate starter buttons and ignition keys. Then it became fashionable and efficient to combine them. Now to separate them again. And sooner or later ...

Kind of like wars, come to think of it. Every 20-30 years the world has to learn all the old, painful lessons all over again.

The Great Mandala whirls onward.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Yup. It's gimmicky. Just like the manettino and the F1 levers. All the better to pretend you're Schuey or some other hotshot racer.

Unfortunately, all the Big Boys are following in BMW's dubious footsteps -- never say no to a techno-gimmick.

This is why a "pure" sports car like the Elise is so appealing.

10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Starter buttons are cool. I love the one on my 63 E-Type, just saying it has no place on the steering wheel, and if Schumacher's car had a starter, the button would not be on the steering wheel but somewhere off to the side.

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands, but I thought this site was about sharing our Ferrari related thoughts and questions.

11. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    I think the Elise has a starter-button too. :)

Cute car and a blast to drive, but getting in/out is strictly for Spiderman.

Aston Martin introduced the separate starter button in its DB7 Vantage with this wonderful piece of Britishspeak in the brochure: "... for that sense of occasion upon engine startup."

Eventually real non-wimps will demand the return of the handcrank.

12. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Quite right!

I was referring to the refreshing lack of techno-crap on the Elise. They're adding so many computer assisted gadgets and sub-systems in "sports cars" these days, the driver is rapidly becoming merely a passenger.

I don't really want a piece of silicon in charge of the steering. Or even the throttles.

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    The button does not work while the engine is running. on the 430 Thats one of the first things i tried on the ones i drive.

14. Sh4rkAttk

Sh4rkAttk Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    So. Cal
    Right. when you turn the key the button lights up but when on the light goes out.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Actually, it is a fun little event to fire up the V12 and hear the deep growl as it wakes up. I was just thinking about how having a second step with a big red button really does make it feel eventful.