In defense of my 355 over a 360 + 430 | FerrariChat

In defense of my 355 over a 360 + 430

Discussion in '348/355' started by shawsan, Jun 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    I confess to being schizophrenic with respect to owning my 98 355 F1, fly yellow, spider. And it doesn't help that I'll only put my sentiments on the table after consumering an excellent bottle of California chardonney.

I love the design of the 355 more than any other, am thrilled to drive it, revel in that banshee wail at 5000 rpms, BUT, I lament the build quality -- especially when I compare it to my BMW M5. I've served up posts to solicit the opinion of others, such as 'Aesthetics of a 355 vs. 360' and 'Ferrari = Breakdown Anxiety'. That last post resulted in many positive replies urging me to make my trip from Vancouver to Calgary and back a few weeks ago (1,300 miles) and to be worry free. Yet, to my astonishement -- as if the Ferrari DEVIL was out to get me -- the day I was to leave for Calgary, the driver side door handle broke (just as the passenger side door handle had broken 2 months earlier).

Thank goodness for a tad of redemption. It occured at the recent Italian car show in Vancouver, BC, where 50+ Ferrari's were on display, many owned by our friends in Washington DC (glad to meet you Dave Handa!). At that car show, the owner of a 2004 360 F1 spider told me his car cost precisely TWICE what my 98 355 cost me when I purchased it one year ago. We're talking $360K Canadian, including taxes, for the 2004 360 spider vs. $180 Canadia for my 355 spider, including taxes (yes, they're expensive up here).

Now I fully accept the 360 is a technological/mechanical advance over the 355, but remember, I'm of the mind my 355 is just as attractive, even more attractive than the 360 spider (and there are others who agree). And while the 360 is faster in the 0-60 and quarter mile sprint , the 360 spider is only a tad faster than the 355. In fact, some reviews say BOTH the 355 F-1 spider and the 360 F-1 spider do 0-60 in 4.6-4.8 seconds, although this is only one superficial comparison aimed at those enslaved by testosterone.

Let me just say, that each time I try to open the driver side door of my 355 w/o success, the knowledge my 355 cost exactly 1/2 of a 360 F1 spider provides a blanket of comfort that says "fix it and live with it".

Now the 430 speaks to all MY, and dare I say, OUR, lust buttons. I've seen it, sat in it, heard it, read the reviewes, but have yet to make my contribution to tire and frame stress. In my take, the lust doesn't come from the looks -- yes, its lovely to look at but NOT drop dead gorgeous over 355s, 360s, Maranellos, etc. Rather, the lust comes from the stellar performance that just might be largely attributable to the performance of non-human-like 'ringers' behind the wheel. My understanding of 'ringers' is they are near, non-human Ferrari test drivers who turn untypical 430 test cars into a batmobile when most of us mortals can only muster far less. If 2 car mags I've read are correct that the normal 430 driver will get 0-60 in 4.2-4.4 seconds then the 'lust factor' associated with Car + Driver, and Road + Track's 3.5 second time, goes a bit limp. It's a ringer story designed to hook us in concepts and impressions we can't duplicate in OUR real world.

All this is to say, that my 355 has won a reprive in the relentless world of spend more, upgrade, get the latest. I hope this conclusion I've drawn is more permanent than temporary. But it has had an impact. Before the Italian car show, and fed up with the broken door handles on my 355, I was scoping out a 993 Porsche Twin Turbo. Now, I'm content to put the Porsche fantasy in the laundry bin. I'll report again when I consume my next bottle of chardonney.

Welcome you views, especially recommendations regarding a good chardonney.

Cheers, Paul

2. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    Paul,
    Interesting take. I like the 355 much better than the 360 too and could give a damn about magazine's 0..60 times. Whats interesting about those is that it takes the magazine test driver a while to figure out how best to launch the car and get it 0..60. Frankly, what they should do is take 5 average street drivers and see how easy they do it. That would give you "The Average Joe 0..60". A much better indication. Ever look at Consumer Reports compared to Car and Driver. Larry Webster is consistently able to get .5 seconds better than just about any real human being as far as I can tell and whats it worth? In fact, some cars are much easier to drive at the limit and feel completely different and I'd love to read an article from a magazine that talked about how easy it is for an average driver to get say 9/10ths of a car. But, I digress.

I'm almost with you on the 355 vs. Porsche thing. I have had mine 2 months and its been in a shop for more than half time. I did a PPI and it came out with flying colors. But, it didn't pass emissions in CA (bought it in Louisiana) and therein lied the beginning of my trials and tribulations (still not done yet!). I think I like the car but my 14 year old Lotus is Mr. Old Reliable (still, with 84K miles on it) compared to my 7 year old 355 (2 months old to me). I swear, every time I read these messages I keep thinking that I got myself into the wrong area. The Lotus guys say the same sort of thing - you gotta really love the car to be able to live with it. But, mine has really been as reliable as any Japanese car (ok it does have a Japanese drive train) so I haven't really experienced true Lotus ownership. I knew Ferrari parts/labor would be expensive but I didn't expect so many issues - from the start. I'm not sure I like the car enough yet to want to live with it. My Lotus is my every day car and the Ferrari was supposed to be my "extraordinary" car. Kind of weird, huh? I swear, the new Aston V8 is starting to seem reasonable with a nice warranty. Or, wait for the next Lotus (I was going to but they keep pushing it out). I figured, I could buy a gorgeous well kept dream car (355) and have something really unique that was good performance, unusual, and beautiful. I love the rolling artwork metaphor. But, my experience is jaded so far. Ever read the write up about Ferrari's in pistonheads.com? Well, the guy said its an afflection best cured by buying one. I know what he means now. I'm not sure I want to do it again. Unfortunatley, I'm also not sure I'm willing to take a bath on the car by selling it as I've now put so much extra into it and its barely been in my hands on the roads in the 2 months I've had it (I'd say I could count the time in < 10 hours).

Ugh, what to do?

Scott

3. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    IMHO, there are two types of drivers-- those that seek the open road, and those that look for a race. If you fall into the former catagory, performance figures are only guidelines... who cares about .3 delta 0-60 when you're diving into your favortie twisty section of a secluded back road early on a Sunday morning?

The 355 is a beautiful and classic sports car, so just keeping stressing the tires and frame, and then consuming that chardonney (in that order!), the rest will work itself out :)

(btw, Columbia Crest makes some very nice whites)

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #4 Challenge64, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have owned both the 355 and 360 spiders..i loved my 355 spider, but it did have its short comings...including a horrible top mechanism, crappy leather on the seats, shrinking leather onthe dash, terrible ergnomics with pedals too close for big feet and the driver sitting cocked eye in the seat,and cheap looking gauges...the 360 is better more modern car in every aspect, and it is noticably quicker seat of the pants with better handling and much better shifting and steering.....the 360 looks more modern, the 355 looks classic 80s to earily 90s ferrari, which is beautiful and timeless....the 360 is the better and faster car, but you cant beat the 355 for the money....btw, as far as exhaust note goes, with a tubi, which both of my cars had, the 360 sounded better and reved much quicker...

6. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #6 W00dEar, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    beauty is in the eyes of beholders.
    i love F355, i think i owned the most beautiful F355 GTB, it looks amazing by itself, or driven in motion. however if u park it next to a 360, i hate to admit it but the F355 looks dated right there.

i think the price on F355 is great now days, a clean '95 can be had at 70's thats a bit more than a new M3 and a bit less than a new '997, I think thats very attracctive buy for Ferrari enthusiast or 1st time buyer. but for repeat owners, moving onto the next better more advanced model is always a good choice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I love all three cars but for me the F355 is my favorite Ferrari.

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When I took delivery of my 360 spider back in 2001, I thought the 360 spider was crap. The fuel gauge didnt work for the entire first year. I thought it was too slow (compared to driving my challenge car) I HATED the new horn - The 355 was the last year of the air horn, I hated the sound compared to a 355 (but in all fairness both 355s Ive owned were 1995s with the bypass and both 355s had radical sport exhausts installed - The 1995 355 has this magical woosh that can be heard at 5000 rpms) and I hated the aluminum trim of the 360 and I hated some of the leather work. I hated the outside door handles, and the radio. But most of all I hated the 360 spider clock. That was a $2.75 afterthought using the lowest grade digital piece of garbage..then putting it in the most useless spot possible in a spider so it could not be seen during the day.

Now that was when I took delivery of the 360 spider. In retrospect having lived with both cars for several years...I like them both. But Im keeping my 355 in Europe and I sold my 360 in the hopes my 430 on order comes faster rather than later!

9. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I just want to say that 355 spyder in yellow is uncomparable as I think it looks so sleek and sexy.

10. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    In terms of you guys worrying about stuff breaking on a 355, I think its better to have a 'just accept it' attitude and put a little money aside for fixes.

Ive had my 355 for over 2 years and done many, many miles. Yes its been in the workshop lots, but that has been more than offset by the three amazing summers with the top down and noise of a TUBI going through a tunnel/bridge everytime I get into the car.

It is a CLASSIC ferrari, and for today's money they change hands for an utter, utter bargain.

Even once Ive sold mine, this car will remain my all time favourite - leagues ahead.... Im not upgrading to a 360 thats for sure... its time to try a Lambo!! :)

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    As I read these 355 issue posts I realize that buying the right Ferrari is like choosing the correct wife. Make the wrong choice, and it costs plenty of $'s!

The comments about good California wines make me believe that the opinions stated are, so to speak, "slurred"!

I think the 355 spider is much better looking than the 360 spder, but I like the 360 best.

So, what's a guy to do?

I have the correct wife. She is the best. Incredible friend, very reliable, rarely breaks down, starts immediately, great mileage, low maintenance, and is always by my side. No trophy issues or repeated spare parts required.

So, back to the car issues.

As a very well-known and very experienced Ferrari mechanic who frequents this site once said to me, "I make my living off 355's"!

I found that to be a very scary statement. What's the point of spending time and money fixing cars. I've owned enough MG's and Jaguars. I don't need that again.

My M-B's are incredibly reliable, and the 997 S Porsche is becoming very intoxicating. So, why do I need a Ferrari?

I am getting very close to a purchase. What do I buy? This is actually a rhetorical statement-beautiful swatters blue 355 spider, beautiful pozzi blue 360 coupe, or a GT silver 997 S cabrio?

All the spendthrift statements of Ferrari owners are invaluable to me.

I don't want a high maintenance wife so why buy a Ferrari?

Who has the right answer?

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    You do. Each of the cars have something to offer in their own right...and tradeoffs as well. The only person qualified to make the "right" decision is the man that will subsequently derive pleasure from it. You.

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Vik,

You are one of the reasons I love this site.

The ghost sees through the veil! Amazing!

The squirrels keep calling me cause they think I'm nuts, and this site helps my sanity!

I love it.

Thanks to all who keep me sane, but why are there so many beautiful cars?

14. capt.zach

capt.zach Rookie

Mar 14, 2005
    Wilmington,n.c.
    Full Name:
    c.cooke
    I've loved my 997s coupe,a giant leap over the 996.What a great all around car.The 997s is great on the track and as a daily driver.But... after (2)996 and a 997s I was ready to try the F car experence.Owning a 911 as a daily driver was a dream that took 20 plus years to realise.Now is the best time for me to drive a 04 pozzi blue 360 coupe and see what it's like.Unlike picking a wife,you can always go on to another car very eaisly if expectations are not realised.I just bought the 360,I hope to put a 1000 miles on it a month.I drive my (Clark Kent car) minivan to shuttle the family and call the 360 my "work car".Best of luck with the search.

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    You guys are killing me....

I'll be back in an hour or so - taking my 355 and future wife (female variety) for a mountain drive :)

Dave

16. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    In the words of my 2 year-old daughter...."I want to be happy, I want apple-juice"

It's like looking at 2 different pieces of art from an artist, each from a different period where the artist had varied influences. Each beautiful in it's own right. Pointless to compare.

Not in this case and not always, but I often hear 355 owners rationalizing their not upgrading to a 360, and 360 owners rationalizing paying more for the newer model. Heck, the TR is even more dated in looks but still beautiful and perhaps even more attention-getting then either 355 or 360....course, it depends on how pretty & unclothed the woman driving it is :)

Honestly, I'm just thrilled to own, drive and enjoy a vehicle that only a tiny fratctional percent of the worlds population will ever experience. It's good.....it's very good!!!!! :) :) :)

I'm into the Reisling at present

17. Michael1

Michael1 Karting

Jun 27, 2005
    Newbury Park, CA
    Greg,

You are not going to get a rational answer to this question, because there isn't one. A 997 was on my shopping list, too. It's a handsome car, reliable, comfortable, even practical. Then for some strange reason, I thought I would see what the same amount of money would buy in a Ferrari. All rationality went out the window when the 355 came into view. I saw beauty. I saw mid-engine. I saw V8, able to scream to its 8500 rpm redline.

I saw a 360 Spyder on the road in Brentwood (West Los Angeles) today. If seeing a Ferrari on the road doesn't move you to some degree, then getting a Ferrari probably doesn't make sense for you.

Alright, if you want a rational reason for getting a Ferrari, I'll give you one. The 997 is not available with a limited slip differential in the US. How can you drive a performance car without limited slip? Now go get a Ferrari. :)

Michael

18. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    Good point about rational answers. How many people even need a sports car? Ok, lets say you need a good car to drive on the track and don't want a track only car (or have the money for it)? Then a sports car makes sense. But, a Corvette is probably best bang/buck so once you start to get above that you are into the rarified territory where logic doesn't make much sense. There are comparison tests of 911 turbos to 360 Challenge cars. The price difference between the two is huge. The driving experience is different. The reason to buy one over the other in the end can only be rationalized by thinking outside the box. In other words, most of it can be explained but the bottom line is really that it is primarily an emotional decision.

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It's past one hour, and Lusso64 did not return after his hour, but the comments have been great.

I guess there's only one rational position- buying the Pozzi blue 360 coupe is in the immediate near future.

And, if it does not work out I can be like every other and blame the guys on this site.

I have to go now, the squirrels are calling again. Nuts!!!

20. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    My pick is the F355. It sounds so F1. I don't mind that the others are faster, especially the F430, I think that one tries to act like a V12 Ferrari, it's just all bass. But the F355 is also cool for the first 5 valve heads, first F1 transmission, and its hydraulic valve lifters took up their own play, which was apparently a first for engines surpassing 8000 rpm, plus it has those cool c pillars.

21. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Came back to Malaysia 2 weeks ago for 'family matters'. I have a 355 and took it for a 50 mile sprint with my 'ricer' brothers and went straight into a Porsche showroom after that. Saw the 997S and I agree with above posts,i.e it's a handsome car and quite practical and fast. Price : USD 216 000 ( we are 'slaughtered' in Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand..)

My brothers agree that the 997 is 'wunderbar' but asked me to check on a TdF Blue 360M about 20 miles away... no harm since we're window shopping...Saw the Modena, 1999, 7250km, TdF on Cream. Price : USD 208 000, negotiable.
    Enuff said, took plane back to China, can't wait to finish the job, get the payment and rush back !!!!

Morale of the story : owning Ferraris is an INcurable affliction!

22. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    Personally I think that the 360 and even more the 430 are (too much in my opinion) like daily cars! I think that the 355 is more exclusive, if you want to take place in it you have to break your back and that's what I'm expecting from a real sport car (F-car).

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Park a 355 next a 360, and the size of the 360 becomes very apparent. The 360 is a big car..in fact it is almost the same size as an 91-2000 SL500 Benz..if not slightly larger!!

The 355 Berlinetta is by far IMHO the nicest looking Ferrari they have produced since the 308. Even though the 355 does have its EXPENSIVE issues..there is nothing like a well sorted 355B with a Tubi and test pipes at full song. The 348 spider comes a very close second for sound.

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    One sentiment to add.

If your heart aches for aFERRARI, then nothing else will EVER do!

PERIOD!

There are other great cars out there, no question. Some even better in certin areas. But nothing else quite like a 355, 260, or 430 (or a TR or a 288GTO or F40, etc.) NOTHING!

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    WOW, I just lost what little respect for Porsche I may have had.

What, do they think we're going to keep PCM/traction-control on all the time? (do they make you now with the 997?) !!! My 1988 750iL has a bloody LSD. Factory. All 750s did. Porsche is getting cheaper than even BMW (later 750s do not have LDSs, bmw things 'traction control' replaces one! HAH!)