Testarossa spline wheels come off at speed. | FerrariChat

Testarossa spline wheels come off at speed.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by patpong, Jul 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    "Early TRs have spline wheels, which have been known to come off at speed." What is the reason here? I understand that the knock-off wheels needed to be hammered to tighten the center nuts. and the rotation of the nuts screw in has to be in same direction as the wheels turning forward . Otherwise, the wheel will not be tight and will come off. Are these the reasons or something else I don't know... sound scary since I am about to buy one with the knock-off wheels Testarossa...

2. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    patpong...use the search. This has been discussed to death in other threads.

3. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    Yep, search is your friend. This is old as the car itself. You can procure spline lock lugs that help...

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since when have they been "known" to come off at speed. Please cite the date, time and owner of a TR with a properly secured wheel with no defect who has had his wheel come off because the knock-off failed. In my 20+ years of owning Ferraris including an 86 TR, 67 330GTC and my current BB512i all with knock-off wheels and going to numerous FCA events, I have never know a knock-off wheel to come off a Ferrari of any type. FYI, all 12 cylinder Ferraris came with knock-off wheels up to the TR I believe.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You must learn to search Frank. I had a properely secured 88 1/2 TR wheel come off at speed. Ferrari and I had a long discussion. They removed the four cornors of my car and sent them back to the factory. They repalced all four cornors with new re engineered splines. The problem did not re occur.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari KO's ALWAYS tighten to the rear.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    So what was the defect with the splines ?

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was an engineering defect that involved the entire cornor. The replacement cornors were quite different. Basically the cornor induced a vibration that caused the KO nut to loosen under some conditions. The failure was sudden but I noticed it right away and was able to gently back off and gently steer to the shoulder. It's much like the Firestone blow outs.
    R&T duplicated that blow out with a shotgun shell but none of the R&T staff flipped. The danger lies in sudden movements when something like this happens.

9. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I check mine on a regular basis, but a good way to ensure they are tight is once they are on and tight, use a wax pencil to mark the wheel to the nut with one line. If the line does not line up over time, then they should be recheched with the hammer.

10. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Hi Adam. Just about to take delivery of an 87 TR. Looking for a torque wrench that works in both directions and goes to 500 lbs. Also where can I find a nut wrench to go along with it. Thanks, Steve

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I know TRutlands has a wrench for three earred knock-offs and I believe he has them for the TR's octagon ones as well.

12. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thanks Frank....I'l give them a call. Just found a bi-directional 600 lb troque wrench on EBay for $400.00. A little high, but quite a tool. SS

13. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I use the hammer / Wrench deal...works fine.

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Doing the serching now... one guy mentioned that he hammered the hell out of his ko's...

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Here Frank, I have found one...... scary.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48930&highlight=testarossa+nut