F1 while waiting at stop light, on 360 | FerrariChat

F1 while waiting at stop light, on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bill Oxley, Jun 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    I know I read about this somewhere here on the Chat, but can't remember, and search doesn't return anything.

Ok, so the question is, does the release/throwout bearing stop turning when the 360 is in nuetral while at a red light?

Or is it always engaged?

The obviouis reason for the question is, is it better to click both paddles as you approach a red light to put it into nuetral, or does it not make any difference?

Tnx, Bill

2. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    I always flip it to neutral! Just a habit of trying to preserve the life of the throw-out bearing.
    When you are at a dead stop and the car is in gear, only the throw-out bearing is engaged.

3. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    thx h22, the reason I was asking is one of the earlier post, the one I can't fine, says the exact opposite. It said the throw out bearing is engaged, regardless whether the tranny is in neutral or not.

So, trying to get a full understanding of this, the throw out bearing quits turning if the tranny is in neutral at a stop light, am I understanding you correctly?

Tnx, Bill

4. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Yes, throwout bearing is not engaged when in neutral.
    When in 1st gear, the throwout bearing is engaged, and when gas is given, that when the clutch starts engaging.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I spoke with an experienced 360 technician and he said it doesn't make any difference one way or another. For me, I put it in neutral when stopped.

6. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Ferrari technicians tend to say that because clutch wear is greater and then you have to change the clutch.

It is simple: in a normal car if you keep your foot on the clutch every time you are at a stop light, you will have rapid clutch wear. If you go into neutral you won't. An F1 'box is the same

7. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
  8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Wow, 24K?? Are you on the original clutch? That's great if you are.

9. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have investigated this matter thoroughly and based on all the input from a variety of Ferrari sources, leaving the F1 in first or neutral while stopped makes absolutely no difference on clutch wear.

I have often found shifting to neutral while waiting at a light can be dangerous since there are times I forget it is in neutral and when the light changes I depress the throttle the car does not move and the cars behind me move up and stop because of my failure to move.:(

10. Speed Racerette

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Yup. I'm going for the record. :)
    Actually, I think Willis in WA state has me beaten....he got 30k off his. I don't think I can quite make it but maybe we can have a his and hers record.

11. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    well, nberry, I must not be making myself clear. Clearly, just thinking about the physics, leaving it in 1st, at a stop with foot on the brake, will not have anything to do with the clutch wear.

I'm asking about the throw out/release bearing! Not the clutch.

Hope I'm now more clear on that now.

So once again, gear in 1st vs neutral, at stop light, is throw out/release bearing rotating or not?

12. Speed Racerette

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Wear on the throw out bearing is referenced in thread I posted earlier...perhaps you can pm Rifledriver directly to provide the answer you are looking for since you are not satisfied with the responses thus far. He has always been very helpful when I have directed questions his way.

13. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I rarely go to neutral at a light and have 26K on my 360 Spider with less than 50% clutch wear and the car has been tracked many times.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    You are asking if the F1 tranny 'rides' the clutch when the car is in 1st gear and stoped at a light.

Logic would dictate that it MUST ride the clutch in 1st, as the gearbox is the same in F1 and 6-sp F355 cars, only the F1 is fitted with external hydraulic control. (RIDING THE CLUTCH WILL PRODUCE PREMATURE WEAR OF THE CLUTCH AND POSSIBLY TO BEARING!)

Conversely, does the F1 system take the pressure OFF the slave cylinder when the car is in neutural? Brian (rifledriver, a highly respected independant F-car mechanic who's shop I have visited) confirms that it DOES!

So, you're correct :)

Now, is it an issue? Just change the TO bearing with the clutch, and I would think you should be fine. I doubt you will wear out a TO bearing before you wear out a clutch.

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Yup, replaced it at almost 30k miles on the clock. Good luck with yours!

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here's something interesting. I had the worn out TO bearing replaced early in my car's life. I started to shift the car to neutral at stoplights soon after that. No TO bearing problems now.

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I stand corrected! (if very, very surprised!)