550: front stabilizing bar "recall" | FerrariChat

550: front stabilizing bar "recall"

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ze_shark, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I hear that there will be an on-request factory replacement for 550 front stabilizing bars actuators (biellettes in french). I understand that the front stabilizing bar designs involves uniball joints which tend to gain play over time.

This results in one of the last gremlins I am chasing i.e. a one-time "tack" noise coming from the front when I turn the wheels while manoeuvering (nothing to do with my front tires ripping saga).
    Parts should be available to dealers after the summer vacation factory close.

Not a recall per se, there is no safety problem involved so I don't think that Ferrari will actively run after customers.

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    JC,

Very good of you to make us aware. As you are able, please post details.

--Dan

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    It seems that the recall has been made on a very selective basis, very difficult to get clear details.

My car just spent a week at the dealers to address this "tick" problem that would occur now and then when steering at low speed (about once per drive, for instance when leaving a parking spot). The initial diagnosis was a grippy front stabilizing bar ball joint.

Turned out to be a real gremlin.

One of their mechanics had heard the noise so they could not pretend I was the Jeanne d'Arc of fine italian automotive engineering, but they could not reproduce the problem.
    The stabilizing bar ball joints were all fine so they checked the entire front suspension, checking all screw/nuts torques, lubricating and the whole shebang. They kept ensuring that all was ok until ... it got a lot worse and the car started to tick tick tick all the time on bumpy ground.

Next speculative culprit was the front left shock absorber base ball joint, but that wouldn't do the trick. They ended up swapping parts with another car and concluding that the wheel bearing was defective, changed it, and the car does not tick anymore.

I am really glad because I can't make any sense of the fact that a bearing could cause such a one time tick noise. Gotta have faith ...

4. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Great post! I am taking my car in soon and that is exactly one of the things that I was looking to be cured, along with a trunk that opens only when it wants to and ASR warning light that comes on much to frequently. Any advice on those issues? Thx.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks for the update JC. I haven't noticed this problem in the later car.

Code: with respect to your trunk, it could be as simple as the tightening the trunk release cable. Or the relay is going bad.

--Dan

6. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Thx Dan, I have feeling that it is the relay......it's very frustrating having a trunk that doesn't want to open.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    At the worst, you can use the emergency release for the trunk. If you are standing outside of your car from the driver's side, lift the corner of the rear shelf closest to you. There you will find a small handle connected to a steel cable. Pull it, and it will release the trunk.

It's not pretty, but it works.

--Dan

8. Timphy

Timphy Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Timphy
    It is great to see posts such as these! I have been plagued by the same issues lately and the grey hairs are still exponentially increasing.

How else could one find out about such recalls which are not truly recalled? Certainly some of the dealers will not actively hunt for us (and I doubt would even let many of us know when our cars are in for servicing said problems).

How does one go about having the issue remedied when not an active 'recall' and the car is 'out of warranty'?

Thanks for your imparting the knowledge!

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The only things they really hunt down are safety-related issues. In such cases, dealers are instructed to send signature-letters to have proof that the owner was notified. For everything else, complacency reigns, and so far, it worked out decently for Ferrari Spa.

"The difference between a Maserati and a Ferrari owner is that the Ferrari owner will always forgive problems to a certain extent". Straight from my dealer's mouth. Certain owners sing with the choir, with an elitist stance: if you can't afford silly maintenance & repair costs, you shouldn't own one.

End of the diatribe :)