328 Questions - chasing a Leak | FerrariChat

328 Questions - chasing a Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by battman, Jul 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

I'm ashamed to admit how long I've let this leak go...but not chasing leaks = car can be driven...!

1986 328, 24.5K miles...there are actually a couple of leaks, but the one I'm chasing seems to be coming from the top of the engine. I was hoping I just didn't have the oil filter on tight enough, but it seems dry around the housing, so I tore the plenum/intake off. If I can get the picture to post, you can see all the oil/crap on top of the engine.

So, are the oil sending unit (might not be the right term...the electrical connection to the filter housing) or the base of the oil filter housing common leak points? Any other suggestions here?

Thanks, Battman

2. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    #2 battman, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How do the front and rear distributors look? Pull of the black plastic covering to see. My rear bank one has a small leak; the seal for these can be tricky to put on right so leaks here are not uncommon.

Just something else to check.

87 328

4. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey Mike 328,

As it turns out, I do have a front dist leak also. I thought this was another leak, as I didn't think the oil could get from the bottom of there onto the top of the block...but I'm VERY new to this. What do you think?

Thanks, Jeff

Battman

5. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    #5 battman, Jul 3, 2005
    After feeling all over the top of the engine, the hose that connects the oil filter housing to a small radiator (oil cooler I guess?) seems like it might be the culprut.

Unfortunately, the crush washers are a different size than the ones I have for oil changes...bummer...anyone know a shop that delivers ferrari parts on the 4th of July? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    you can anneal the washers by heating until they glow red and let them cool, or I guess wait until tuesday :-(

The are just copper, so sometimes you can find them at local parts places that have the drawers full of fasteners.

usually, however, the problem is either that the fitting got a little loose (the engine is moving, the oil cooler isn't), or the hose has rotted. Rotting hose is harder to see due to the stainless braiding, but when the hose is failing, the braids entering the fitting are often oily and collect dirt.

I'd try annealing the washers and tightening things up before replacing the hose.

If you do have to replace the hose, definitely shop around. For reference, I coughed up $160 for one from maranello auto parts. GT parts should be about the same.

7. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    #7 Mark 328, Jul 5, 2005
    Jeff:
    The distributer seals can be difficult to install; the seal gets caught going over the sharp edge of the camshaft. When I did mine I rolled-up a piece of clean, deburred, oiled shim stock to help transition the seal over the cam. It worked like a charm. I think it is .004 shim stock.

PS: Could probably save money and use excess Brat grease to lube seal (I lived in Two Rivers, Wi. for a year!!).

If you want I can measure and post the dimensions of that shim stock.

Mark

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes,
    Oil pressure senders are prone to develop leaks.

As to transitioning the distributor seal, I use a deep socket the same diameter as the cam:

-Mount seal in the plate.
    -Slide the seal onto the socket
    -butt socket up against the cam,
    -slip seal off of socket onto cam.
    - Shine a light into gap between plate & cam cover to make sure the seal spring hasn't popped off
    - fasten plate in place.