Out of hospital | FerrariChat

Out of hospital

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jonny5, Jul 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Just got home from possibly the worst 2 1/2 weeks of my life.

Was at Le Mans, fell over and twisted both ankles badly. Didn't think much of it, so went to a hotel and thought i'd sleep it off. Woke up 30 hours later dazed, confused and in agony. Went back to where I was staying (in Tours 90 km away) to meet up with the rest of the lads who thought I was lying in a gutter dead, police/hospitals notified.

My mate drove the e-type back and I checked into hospital. X-rays showed nothing, I started vomiting blood so they did a blood test.

Turned out I had a rare condition called Rhabdomyolysis
    where extensive trama causes muscle to break down creating necrotic (dead) cells in the blood. Normal count is 100, mine was 46000

My kidneys and liver had failed and I was put into intensive care before being transferred to Guys hospital and put on life support.

Was put on dual fluid drips to flush out the system - at a rate of 24 ltrs / 24 hours. Was on this for a week and I literally doubled in size due to fluid retention. Had dialysis once.

Was on intrevenous morphine for the pain, and was critical for 10 days. Was very very close to dying. Not a common condition for a 24 yr old.

Luckily my kidneys and liver are on the road to recovery. Still learning to walk again - but i'm just very lucky that my body is strong. Kidneys and liver will make a full recovery.

Defo given me a new perspective on life, don't hold off - carpe diem. Jacked my contract in - doing some travelling and will be getting a new toy soon. F40 perhaps.

Just thought i'd share this with you incase anybody was wondering where i've been....

Jon

2. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. :)

And I can't argue with your F40-centred carpe diem policy if you can find insurance!

All the best,

3. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    BLOODY HELL!!!

Sounds appalling

M

4. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
  5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Holy c4ap :eek: Glad you're on way back to health.
    Rgds
    Tony

6. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    cheers guys - i'm very lucky to be here.

thanks for the link stig, just to clarify it wasn't drug related.

F40 would be insured under trade insurance.

7. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Thats sounds absolutely awful, if your body can handle that, you can handle anything!

Is the condition curable or do you have to be very careful about injuring yourself from now on? If it not curable at least now you know you have the condition, which means you can catch any other related problems much sooner next time

Bring on the F40 !! :)

Ade

8. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Jesus, nightmare... At least you're on the right road now, bring on the F40.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    100 to 46000 = damn. What's the count nowadays? You've come a long way since the sudden onset, and I wish you well.

10. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Get well soon!

You won't regret the F40, go for it!

11. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    Hi Ade - sorry I didn't get to call you re: 355 spider, things pre le mans were hectic and then obviously all this happened.

Luckily I don't have to go on a course of dialysis (which would be back to the hospital every other day for the rest of the condition)

what it does mean is no more alcohol for me. Better to be that way than in a box tho' and it means i'll have more money to fund my car addictions anyway :)

12. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Wow. Glad to hear you are making a recovery. I can imagine that must have changed your perspective on many things in life. Reminds me of a similar incident my wife went through last year. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. I definately think an F40 will help in a "speedy" recovery!!! :D

13. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    What a nasty ordeal you have had to go through.

I am glad things are getting better. :)

Yes end the nasty experience on a high, get a toy and enjoy yourself.

14. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jon,

glad to hear you're on your way to recovery. Sounds quite unbelivable how sometimes things happen and they change ones whole life from one minute to the next. All the best for the road ahead to finding your new toy :)

Philip

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    thats just put me off going to le-mans next year

16. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

17. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

Thats horrible mate, but glad everything is ok now. If you want some tips on places to travel to or routes let me know.

Chris

18. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Holly Sh*t

Glad your on the road to recovery, make the most of the rest of your life mate

19. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    ****! You sound one lucky guy to be alive, really hope you get well soon!

20. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Christ! That's a near death experience if ever I heard one. Glad you pulled through Jon. Your liver will certainly regenerate so you will be able to drink, and your damn lucky your kidneys are OK, since they do not.

Wouldn't have thought twisting your ankles alone would be sufficient to cause this much trauma though? Unless the swelling cut off blood flow. You obviously had significant tissue necrosis somewhere in your body and this is usually advanced tissue hypoxia, some necrotising infection or poison. Did they say what they thought the source was?

From what I can gather, sex is massively recuperative and doesn't stress your liver at all, so go have some fun!

Kevin

21. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    But don't do it standing up until your ankles are better! :D

22. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Jon, fu*k me sideways with a large marrow. I wondered where the hell you were, just thought you were on an extended Le-Mans break.

Sounds like you were lucky to get through this one. Jesus! What a friggin nitemare. Hope you had travel insurance.

Get well soon mate, I'll give you a bell later in the week. Meeting Weber tomorrow for a beer. Will let him know the score. .

I'm so glad you pulled though it dude, plenty more cars to drive before any of us take the next step.

Keep chin up

Rob

23. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You're right there. Knee trembler in the shower may not be a great idea. Just yet. :D

24. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Horrible experience, well done for having the strength of character to be able to (F) chat about it afterwards. As you were so close, each day is to be cherished from here on in. There are few better ways to cherish life than from behind the wheel of an F40! Glad your still here.

25. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Glad to hear your on the mend Jon, thats some scary business

Kev are you a Doctor?