Do You LIVESTRONG - Wear Yellow | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do You LIVESTRONG - Wear Yellow

Discussion in 'Sports' started by venusone, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Its all about awareness and due to the fact that we even discuss this, proves what an overwhelming success the campaign has been.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    From the movie or the band?

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    There's a cause I can support!

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That little bracelet has done more to raise awarness of the Lance Armstrong Foundation than anything else. The foundation has made over $14M in grants. Are we to assume your personal foundation has made well over $14m in grants and you are thus an expert? Pray tell, how should it be done?

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    agree completely, he abandoned his family...

6. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    How did he abandon his family?
    Do all of our troops in the military abandon their families while they are serving their country?
    Some jobs require time away from home.

He has made all the money he and his kids will ever need. He has secured their future.
    You shouldn't be so quick to judge a man you don't even know.

I never really thought anyone could dislike Lance but, I guess I'm starting to understand why he gets death threats.
    Some people only look at the bad in a person even when the good they have done is much greater than the bad.

7. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Youth size LIVESTRONG at the Lance Armstrong Foundation site:

http://www.store-laf.org/lf-wb-1002-10.html

I repeat: It's not how much you have donated to cancer research, but that you support the hope of surviving it & living large. It ain't all about the money. Lots of folks that wear yellow ARE cancer survivors (I know at least a doz) & may not have big bucks to donate but wish to extend hope to those fighting it.

8. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I'll give you something tomorrow from work you can really sink your teeth into.

9. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Yep, I feel exactly the same way about this guy. I thought - rather - it was the trophy (Sheryl Crowe) over the wife. Not that SC's any trophy in my book, but just the same.

RMX

10. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Big difference. I am still married. Two parents in the same house secures a future more than a million dollar salary.

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You didn't say he abondoned his family but, a stint away from home isn't abandonment and a divorce is sometimes unavoidable.
    A divorce is not abondonment either. Especially when you live 2 doors down from your ex-wife and you each spend equal time with the children.
    I'm not saying he is the best dad in the world but, you guys shouldn't judge a man when you don't know the whole story.
    There are lots of rumors about why he got divorced but, like I said, I have a family member that works at his house and I know for a fact what happend. He isn't to blame.
    If this was a perfect world then we would all have a Ferrari and our biological parents would still be married but, it is not.:(

Oh yeah...Lance's salary is over $20 million, not $1 million.:)...Big Difference

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Maybe this should be moved to P&R. It sure is taking on that tone.

I don't venture into P&R.

13. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I'll agree to disagree.

I agree totally. That place scares me...;)

14. F50

F50 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    why are there so many cancer foundations. why not just "the cancer fund".

15. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    oh goody. I will wait with baited breath.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

For the most part it reminds me of all the red necks around here who put big American flags on their pick up trucks after 9-11. I'm sure the majority don't pay taxes, and absorb significant public resource. I thought how funny it would be to ask them to cough up $10 for the federal gov't to support the war effort and the excuses you'd get for not doing it.

And Rob, you don't grow into being a good father and husband "later on".

17. zwodubber

zwodubber Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Allentown
    Full Name:
    Craig Loch. Jr
    I am a smoker. I do not wear the bracelet. One thing that drives me crazy is when I am out at a club or bar and see someone wearing the bracelet on the same arm they are using to smoke a cigarette. Those are the people that are "just being trendy".

18. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I agree. It's a total placebo effect. It also limits idiots to only donate one dollar. More silicone in the landfill.

19. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Damn straight, Uro. Then again, I'm just a guy who "abandons" my family when I deploy for a year. So, what do I know? Tongue and cheek separate.

Dane

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A good father would never take the responsibility of kids before they are ready to give them the commitment and love they deserve. However, you are telling me someone that makes mistakes and corrects them or otherwise matures later on and becomes a good father is impossible?

21. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

Isn't that the definition of growing up (regardless of whether one decides to become a parent or not)? Who doesn't go through that process?

22. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Brace yourself: wearing support on your wrist

By Jill Lieber, USA TODAY

Chicago Cubs marketing executive John McDonough knew he had a hit when people snapped up 50,000 blue rubber bracelets stamped with "Believe" in one day at the Cubs' convention in January.

Bracelet mania: rubber bracelets as a show of support are available with college and pro teams and charitable foundations.
    By Michael Madrid, USA TODAY

"People were buying them in increments of 100. In a hotel. In the middle of winter," he recalls of the mad dash for the $2 trinkets. "We knew then that this thing was going to be a rocket ride."

But McDonough never could have predicted how fast this rocket would soar. By mid-May, more than 500,000 bracelets had been sold.

And with the $500,000 proceeds from the Believe bracelet sales, the Cubs in June made their first donation: to help renovate Thillens Stadium, a youth baseball field on Chicago's north side.

"Twenty or 30 years from now, people will look back at pictures of this bracelet phenomenon and say, 'What was that all about?' " McDonough says. Simply put, "Anybody can wear a bracelet."

The obsession for bracelets, the connection to a cause and the power of words are being shared across the USA, in all walks of life and at all levels of sports. Everyone from elementary school kids to retired folks, Little Leaguers to All-Stars, armchair quarterbacks to Pro Bowlers are wearing their hearts on their sleeves and their allegiances on their wrists. They're on the cutting edge of fashion, philanthropy and collectibles all at once. (Related item: Who's who and what's what in bracelet gear)

Michael Esposito of Forever Collectibles, the bracelet licensee for MLB, the NFL, the NBA, the NHL, several NASCAR teams and about 50 colleges, says the New Jersey-based company will have sold more than 9 million baseball team bracelets by the end of the season.

What began as an East Coast urban fad in the 1970s with "baller bands" — thick rubber bands that basketball players wore in Philadelphia street games to snap against their skin to narrow their focus — exploded into the mainstream last year. On May 17, 2004, Nike and the Lance Armstrong Foundation launched bright yellow $1 bracelets stamped with the foundation's motto Livestrong to honor Armstrong, a cyclist and cancer survivor, in his quest for his sixth consecutive Tour de France victory.

Nike produced 5 million Live-strong bracelets, sold them at retail outlets and donated $1 from each sale plus another $1 million ($6 million total) to Armstrong's foundation. Armstrong's girlfriend, rock star Sheryl Crow, gave the world a sneak peak at the bracelet during a Today show appearance. Then, Armstrong and his team wore the bracelets in the 2004 Tour de France. By the time Armstrong triumphantly crossed the finish line in Paris, Livestrong bracelets were the hottest item on the planet.

"We were completely sold out," says Nike's Scott MacEachern, the company's brains behind the idea.

Nike officials estimate 50 million Livestrong bracelets have been sold. Bracelet sales and fundraisers have generated $50 million for Armstrong's foundation.

Taking stand with band

Chicago Cubs 1B Derrek Lee put on a Believe bracelet in spring training to model in a promotional poster and never is without one. "It's part of my uniform. I'd feel funny without it. When people ask the secret to my success, I say, 'It's all in the bracelet.' "

Annie Fryman, 13, of Lexington, Ky., wears two bracelets: Live strong and Live blue (some of the proceeds go to Kentucky basketball coach Tubby Smith's foundation). "I wear Live strong because it was the first, and I wear Liveblue because I'm a Wildcats fan. I don't like all the knockoffs, especially those that aren't for charity."

Illinois football coach Ron Zook insisted on wearing his bright orange Loyalty bracelet at his initial news conference in December. "When I later found out the bracelets were raising money for the university's Library Campaign, I realized it was making a very, very important statement - showing the loyalty between the academic and athletic sides of the university. That's powerful."

Tennessee Titans TE Erron Kinney wears a Support The Troops bracelet his friend Kyle Denzel makes. "Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, they're over there on our behalf. I wore my bracelet in almost every game last year, and the NFL uniform police never caught me."

By Jill Leber

"The bracelet has transcended cancer," MacEachern says. "It's about inspiration, on many levels. Losing weight. Quitting smoking. There's 50 million different reasons to wear a Livestrong bracelet."

How empowered is Armstrong by the bracelet? A few days before MacEachern left for this year's Tour, Armstrong phoned from France and asked him to break into Nike's super-secret stash. Armstrong just had to have one of the first 1,000 Livestrong bracelets — specially made, foundation-only items, stamped with a Nike swoosh.

Proclaiming support for a cause

David Hessekiel, CEO of Cause Marketing Forum in Rye, N.Y., a company that helps businesses and non-profits work together, isn't surprised by the bracelet rage.

"In marketing and in fundraising, whenever a new technique surfaces, it will attract copycats and it will continue to be used until it's no longer profitable," Hessekiel says.

"One of the reasons why bracelets are so successful is that people not only want to support good causes, but they also want to proclaim that they're doing that."

Carol Poll, chairwoman of the social sciences department at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, says: "Bracelets are today's version of bumper stickers, buttons, ribbons or flags. They're a symbol that allows a person to recognize, 'Hey, you're one of us.' "

Being part of the team is why bracelets are one of the most popular marketing, fundraising and team-building tools in sports.

In addition to the Cubs, other baseball teams are riding the wave:

• The Chicago White Sox have sold more than 55,000 Sox Pride black $2 bracelets and 5,000 kid-sized bracelets. That has resulted in $90,000 for White Sox Charities, which provides financial, in-kind and emotional support to hundreds of Chicago-based organizations, including those leading the fight against cancer or dedicated to improving the lives of youth.

• The Cincinnati Reds have sold more than 35,000 Go Reds white $2 bracelets with red ink screening that creates the appearance of baseball seams. More than $50,000 has been raised for the Reds Community Fund and the Reds Rookie Success League, a summer outreach program for at-risk 8-11-year-olds in the Cincinnati area.

• The Texas Rangers have sold 15,000 Go Rangers blue $2 bracelets, raising $25,000 for the Texas Rangers Foundation, to help build Habitat for Humanity houses.

Colleges have also used bracelet sales for wide-ranging purposes:

• The Illinois athletic department, which has pledged to donate $500,000 to the university's library campaign, has sold more than 80,000 bright orange $2 Loyalty bracelets and raised $100,000.

• Idaho has sold more than 2,500 $2 black Vandal Pride bracelets, in the hopes of raising $6,000 for a new uniform for Joe Vandal, the school's Viking-like mascot.

• Ball State is paying tribute to golfer Justin Cross, who died in January after a four-year battle with cancer, by establishing a scholarship in his name with proceeds from the sales of $2 red Audience Of 1 bracelets. Cross marked his ball with A-1, meaning he was playing for God, an audience of one.

"It has been a major factor in the healing process," Ball State golf coach Mike Fleck says. "It was easy for the kids to talk about the bracelets and Justin."

Individuals join the bandwagon

Alex Garwood, the executive director of the Pat Tillman Foundation, understands that feeling. He wears his red Never Forget #40 bracelet that the Arizona Cardinals gave away at a game last fall in memory of Tillman, the former Cardinals star and fallen soldier.

Garwood, Tillman's brother-in-law, was outraged when almost 100 bracelets turned up on eBay a few days later, selling for as much as $500 apiece. Never Forget #40 is believed to be the only free sports bracelet. "No one will ever profit from Pat's death," Garwood says.

Garwood says the foundation has given away 250,000 bracelets.

"Bracelets are part of our vernacular," Garwood says. "The first question is, 'What's the red one for?' The second is, 'How were you connected to him?'

"I've had long conversations on airplanes and short conversations in elevators. The bracelet helps me talk about my friend and carry on his legacy. I would trade it in a second to have him back, but I know we're doing the right thing."

By Eileen Blass, USA TODAY
    The Phillie Phanatic shows off his Tug McGraw bracelet before a Philadelphia Phillies home game.

Country superstar Tim McGraw ties a white leather bracelet created from the seam of a baseball around his wrist to feel connected to his father, Tug, the former Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets pitcher who died of brain cancer in January 2004. On the bracelet, embossed in blue, is 45YGB, Tug's uniform number and the initials for the Ya Gotta Believe motto he used to inspire his '73 Mets to a National League title.

A few weeks ago, Jennifer Brusstar, the vice president of the Tug McGraw Foundation, flew to Philadelphia to present a mascot-sized 45YGB bracelet to the Philly Phanatic. She figured it would be an emotional moment, but she didn't realize she would have to hand the Philly Phanatic some mascot-sized pieces of tissue, too.

"The Phanatic hugged me and whispered, 'This is one of my toughest days,' " says Brusstar, whose husband, Warren, was one of McGraw's Philly teammates.

The people-sized 45YGB bracelets sell for $4.50 (in keeping with Tug's number) and can be bought at tugmcgraw.com, timmcgraw.com or at Tim McGraw's concerts.

Almost 200,000 bracelets have been sold, generating $600,000 for the Tug McGraw Center for Neuro-Oncology Quality of Life Research at Duke Medical Center. Most are put together at Brusstar's dining room table in Napa, Calif.

"It's truly a bracelet of love," says Brusstar, who was Tug's caregiver in his final six months. "Being able to help others get the same treatment as Tug makes me feel good. There's a value to that."

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I think Uro put one on Tiny....

24. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    No I don't because I've been consumed with helping fight cancer through other means.

Do any of you guys fold proteins?

25. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Where do I DL that prgm?

Lmao, or at least I wanted to but it would've been so rude. So this aquaintance of mine has two of these rubber bands on. A Yellow rubber one(live strong) and a light blue. Some one asked him what the other light blue one was, and he actually had to look at the band and read it! He told the guy AFTER HE READ it that it says "cultivate peace", lol he needs to cultivate some sense. It's pathetic, proof positive that he's only wearing it because it's trendy. He was so ignorant of the fact that he didn't even know what he had.