Detailing 308 firewall. | FerrariChat

Detailing 308 firewall.

Discussion in '308/328' started by docweed, Jul 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Has anyone ever painted the firewalls on a 308 with high temp aluminum. Will it stay without pealing. How should one prep the surface. Is this a no no?

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Why do you want to paint it?

3. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I'm trying to dress up the engine compartment and the asbestos heat shield between the motor and rear of the car is very shabby looking. I scurbbed it down but it still looks dingy. The firewall in front of the motor is OK. I have the vapor filter and expansion tank out to detail them so I thought I'd do something with the rear firewall if anyone has done the same.

Saw the 308 fire on TV so I'm going to replace the vapor filter hoses.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ok, now I understand.

I've never painted any of heat shields on any of my cars, but I have painted other parts that get very hot.

I'd say clean it with pre-paint prep, or denatured alcohol. Something along those lines.

I've had good luck with high-temp paints, with no failures and peeling. But the parts I painted were metal so, YMMV. WTH, give it a try!

I've re-painted a lot of engine compartment parts on a Roller with high temp paint, that normally start to peel from heat shortly after new.

That was about 15 yrs. ago, and they still haven't peeled or bubbled.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I wiped my rear firewall down with laquer thinner and repainted with Duplicolor aluminized high heat paint with ceramic. It still looks perfect two years later. I found it at NAPA

6. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart

I followed Spasso's suggestion and I have something to add. I cleaned the firewall with a degreaser then laquer thinner. Then I first tried a few passes with Dupli-Color Cast Coat Alum DE 1650 and it was too dull or gray looking for my taste so I ran to the Advance Auto Supply and got Dupli-Color Aluminum DE 1615 which is a little brighter and closer to the original color. Made a nice improvement to the engine compartment. I was in the process of repainting the vapor filter, dog bone, expansion tank, and the shroud over the oil cooler and had them removed. Made it much easier...just some masking tape where needed and some newspaper and spray. Enzo would have been pleased. Next rebuild the carbs if I can find some 5 bolt gaskets.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Glad it worked out!

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name: