Anyone interested in climbing Kilima-n-jaro? | FerrariChat

Anyone interested in climbing Kilima-n-jaro?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JasonMiller, Jul 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I am in the process of planning another Kilimanjaro climb in Tanzania and thought I would see if anyone wants to climb the tallest mountain on the African continent? Its not impossible for the person of average shape...

I can get discounted airfare and lodging while in Africa if 4 or more people go. I have another friend interested in joining me.

Please no attitudes or hot heads, I dont need any more stress in the third world country :)

If anyone is interested I can also add a small three or four day game safari on to the climb. It would be shame to go to Africa and not see wildlife.

We would leave from DFW Texas and probably lay over in Amsterdam (I know what your thinking) or Cairo Egypt and continue to Nairobi Kenya where you will get a first hand experience to my trans Africa driving skills. We will drive to Arusha Tanzania and on to Moshi. We will stay at the Mountain INN which is owned by a friend of mine. They will also organize the 4 day climb. We will have porters and cooks and climb to over 19.000. feet.

I have done this climb 2 times and have stayed in Moshi many times more and rest assured its a safe enviroment if you mind your business and dont get too touristy..

Anyway its a once in a lifetime experience and a great climbing challenge.

I would also suggest anyone wanting to go to go climb one or two fourteeners in Colorado just to get your feet wet, you are welcome to join me and my friend Rick when we go to Colorado this summer.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I THINK ILL GO TO NYC AND WALK CANAL ST A COUPLE OF TIMES..

THANKS FOR THE INVITE

BRUCE

3. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    what dates were you thinking of going? When were you going to colorado also. I would be very interested.

john

4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

That would work, just put a plastic bag on your head with a pin hole in it to give you the effect of the altitude :)

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I saw a Discovery HD program this past weekend about climbing Kilimanjaro and it looked like a fun climb. I would love to go if I could convince my wife.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Maybe you could turn this into an F-chat sponsored thing? ;) Sounds like a great quest. Keep us posted on the progress i.e. pics etc. Have fun.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You wanna be a thrillseeker do you?

Go to South-Central LA into Nickerson Gardens and see how long you can last at that altitude

8. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

I am hoping early October... But I am willing to work with other schedules.

I plan to go to Colorado twice this summer, maybe early Aug or sept. we drive up from Fort Worth and usually climb for a few days and drive back. Fast a furious! But a lot of fun.

9. Driv3r2k

Driv3r2k Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    I leave in 3 days for africa and the Seychelles, a trip which includes this climb. Any advice on what to bring or to know before i leave. I've been to africa plenty of times, yet never climbed Kilima-n-jaro.

10. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    what are we looking at $ wise?

11. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you want a tought climb in Colorado, go to Longs Peak. One of the toughest climbs in Colorado, hands down

12. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

My advice for Kili is to bring warm clothes (it gets very cold at night) bring some snacks that you like and a roll of toilet paper. If you go on an organized climb they have toilet facilities but NO toilet paper.

Ask the porters to bring some fruit, it really replenishes your system with sugar and liquid.

Have fun and good luck!

13. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

I am trying to get everything under 4K including room, transportation, food on the mountain and airfare. The only thing it wont cover is food out and about, women, drinks, bail, etc.

14. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

I have climbed many of the easy 14ers, I am saving Longs for last.... I hear its tough. I also want to climb it with someone who has climbed it before..

15. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

LOL,,, I once got lost there in 1990 in a Yellow Geo Metro convertable.. Needless to say two honkeys in a yellow convertable was slightly out of place. I think I ran 10 red lights to get out of there.... YIKES

16. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yea Ive never climbed it but my dad told me ALL about it LOL

He said that it took about 14hrs round trip, for the first couple hours the climbing is real easy, you think it will be like that the whole way but about 1,000 ft from the top it gets technical and tricky, at one point theres a path you walk on and too your right is a big rock wall and to your left is about a 800 or so ft drop, straight down according to him. Sounds scary but probably very rewarding and breathtaking when you make it to the top!

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not this year. Should be doing Fuji in August, working out the dates now. Anyone else want to go?

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #19 darth550, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I'm game. Dec would work better than Oct for me. 2006 would be better yet. Did Cotopaxi twice and most of Chimborazo back in '96. I'd want a few days on the Sierra Nevada or White Mtn 14ers right before departure. I'd probably want a few months to start cardio conditioning as well.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Great, one more image to talk to my therapist about.