2006 Z06-- anyone driven one? | FerrariChat

2006 Z06-- anyone driven one?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by WarrenF355, Jul 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    I HAVE! AH-HAHAHHAHAA. my neighbor works for GM and had a test mule and let me drive it!!! weeeeeeeee I have pics but promised not to post them. 96ImpalaSS saw them, if you don't believe it from me!

I can't disclose much information, 'cause I swore I wouldn't, but I tell you what Ferrari guys-- don't go picking any fights with this bad mamma-jamma. It tears ass all the way through the rpms, and the mph's!

2. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Seen a couple on the road last week.. Nice cars. I'll post up the pics I took in a bit.

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Warren, it is going to be an amazing production car as you now know first hand. If it lives up to its alleged performance numbers, then consider it next to a 430, Ford GT, Viper, Lambo, 911 Turbo and you have an absolute bargain, super high performance car.

I know a dealer that will sell me their second car for $5K over list. Owner's son getting first car. I would get car in late fall. I am tempted.

4. C6Z06

C6Z06 Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    MI
    Can you elaborate a little bit about the handeling/braking feel of the car?

5. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I drove just a "normal" C6 and I was blown away by the power. I cannot imagine the Z06. I was actually so impressed with the car overall that I think I am going to buy one.

6. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    i 100% recommend that you purchase this car if you have the opportunity. The only complaint I have is the 1-2 shift seems a little rough. The car feels so light and easy to toss around, yet going around curves it was completely planted and doing 80+mph around a 40mph curve the car had tons of room left.

the traction control was on, but i couldn't tell that it was robbing any power off the line. from a standstill flooring it the car takes off like a bullet from a gun, screaming-- wait-- ROARING all around. The a/c was on all the while and I'll tell you I've ridden in a couple recent F-cars and this thing completely blows them away. (not hating, just giving a reference point)

Cruising at 55mph in 2nd gear felt just normal, and the guy said it would do 95 in second. He worked on the engine and wasn't too passionate for cars but his wife claims 1/4 in under 12.

The interior is definitely a step-up from a c5, the gauges caught my attention, but my favorite is the carbonfiber shifter knob! Definitely a first for a chevy.

7. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    If you give in to temptation, and need a ride to the dealer, I'm SURE I'm not doing anything that day. :)

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Todd
    Those would not be C6-Z06's because they are not on the road yet, factory has not released them, You saw C6's

9. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    There are some Z06 muels running around, as evidenced by warrens ability to drive one. That could be what he saw.

10. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I personally have seen two on the road and one parked in a random parking lot where I took photos of it; they are around, mostly driven by GM people. I have no doubts other f-chatters have seen them as well.

11. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    #11 TurboTodd, Jul 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Wow, what a great car !

It has history, a technological background, a strong -the least one can say- engine, great looks.

I guess it makes us european sad not being in the states to get the hands on this incredible bargain.

I definitly wonder how it will compete with a F430, knowing that for 130'000 USDs you can throw in quite some kit to tune it :D

13. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Absolutely Dean. Hey, are you going to Road America next week? PM if you are and maybe we can drive up there together one day.

Mike

14. J-R0d

J-R0d Rookie

Jul 5, 2005

That is a Z06. The fender flares and badging are a dead giveaway.

The engineers have several out right now doing testing.

I had hoped to get a ride in one at the upcoming Z06Fest in Bowling Green. They are supposed to have several there to show off. I was scheduled to be leading the drag racing seminar, but other commitments are keeping me from being able to attend. So, I guess I'll have to wait until one shows up in Houston to get a closer look. :(

Here is a photo of a Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic car that was spotted recently also...
    Thread
    http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83906
    pic
    [​IMG]

15. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    That car is going to look stunning in Black.

16. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    #17 TurboTodd, Jul 6, 2005
    Ok, I guess I should fess up a bit. The car I photographed is a C6 Z-oh, and had tags on it, and it did have a Miami Hurricanes tag frame.

It was also photographed 1 mile from the factory. Moments before I took the picture at the intersection, a silver one headed for the highway, but I didn't have my camera handy. It sounded "interesting". The intersection is the entrance/exit to the factory (it isn't quite as glamarous as the Ferrari digs).

My wife is a corvette freak, so I thought it would be a nice surprise to take her to Bowling Green on our way back from our 2-race vacation. We toured the factory, and while no Z06's were on the line, there was 4 sitting at the end of the line between the powertrain test and the rain booths. One silver, one blue, one black (very ominous), and one that was either white ot yellow.. I think yellow. I didn't feel like getting kicked out of the factory, so no pictures were taken. The black car had an "export only" window sticker in place. The others were where I couldn't see detail.

I also spied an interesting C6 in line for the powertrain test. It was white, with black sailpanels and top, much like the C4 anniversery model. It had no emblems on front or back. And it had gunmetal grey 5-spoke rims (which I also saw on a yellow C6 in production, looked stunning). I asked about the car, and our guide said that it was one of 2 prototypes. I actually preferred it's looks to the Z06's sitting nearby.

Here's a shot of a blue one I saw outside...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    Do the Z06s' have the extra spoiler in back, if so, I saw one last weekend. Seems that they are popping up now?

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    That is fricken hot! Im going to buy one of those for my collection

19. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd buy one in 2 or 3 years for half price. Look at the poor C5 Z06's. Mint examples in the low 30's all day long. The C6 Z is really not a bargain compared to the Viper. You can pick up new SRT10's in the 70's. Performance is close, but looks are far better in the Viper.

20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    These car do typically depreciate pretty good. Your idea of waiting, is a good one. If someone can wait.

Your comments on the Viper looks are very subjective. Personally, I don't like the Viper...looks and all. I'd pick a Z06 hands down.

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Is it just me, or does the last picture you posted look like a low ridder pick up truck?

22. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #23 isellpower, Jul 9, 2005
  23. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That's nice looking. I esp. like the soft top which is not avail. in the Z06.

24. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Is it me or did the Viper front ends flatten as time went on just as the 308's did when the 328's were introduced? It looks as if the Corvette's have done the exact opposite.

The new ZO6 looks fantastic from the side, rear and quartering rear. However, the ZO6's frontal shot, like the 360s and 430s, just don't turn my crank. There's a little too much RX8 in the '05 and '06 Corvettes. Like anything with auto aesthetic's, it's a matter of personal opinion.

One way or the other, I just don't see how one could be disappointed with the new 'vette. I'm happy to see the American's continuing to progress and improve. These cars have come a long way in the past ten years. The only problem I see is the frequency that you see new Corvettes. They're everywhere! Dane