OT - Explosions in London | FerrariChat

OT - Explosions in London

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Stimmers360, Jul 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

Explosive device gone off on a bus in Russel Square

Explosion on Underground caused by power surges on underground.

Multiple explosions in London - not yet confirmed all of them

Police say 'large number of casualties'

2. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    My father was on his way down from Manchester on a train, all trains have been turned around

3. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    :(

4. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    3 explosions on buses now confirmed by police.

Also reports of explosion at Kings Cross.

All live reports from Sky News.

5. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ugh, thoughts go out to anyone with friends/family caught up in this mess...

6. reggie

reggie Guest

this is awful news, guys keep all the info coming please. My son works in Aldgate and as of yet i have had no contact with him. Im sure everything is fine, my wife probably onto to him every 5 mins blocking the line.

Not much info coming through here so please keep all updates coming !

This is so sad

7. reggie

reggie Guest

news coming through here is that there a quite a few fatalities - can someone please confirm this ?

8. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Reggie, the problems in Algate started at 8:50. If he was already in the office everything should be OK. I'm at work in Leadenhall street and all the streets are closed, there are quite a number of people wandering around. Our mobiles don't seem to be working so try a land line.

9. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    The BBC website is creaking at the seams at the moment so I've copied this info here

Several people have been injured after explosions on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.
    A police spokesman said there were "quite a large number of casualties" at Aldgate Tube Station.

And Scotland Yard confirmed one of several reports of explosions on buses in the city - in Tavistock Place - but said the cause was not yet known.

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines and bodies everywhere."

PA also quoted union officials as saying sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

British Transport Police Surges took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.

A spokesman said officers were called out to Aldgate station at 8.50am to assist City of London and British Transport Police.

"All of the emergency services are on scene. There have been some casualties. This has been declared as a major incident," said the spokesman. "It's too early to state what has happened at this stage," he said.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents.

'Screaming and crying'

Jacqui Head, from BBC News, who had just left King's Cross station on a Piccadilly Line train as an explosion happened, said: "Everything was normal. Suddenly there was a massive bang, the train jolted.

"There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying."

The train was kept in the tunnel for 20 minutes and no announcement was made to explain the delay to passengers, she added.

London Fire Brigade said four crews were at Liverpool Street and more were on their way.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

Eyewitness Paul Woloszyn from BBC News, who was at Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line, said: "We were told there was a bomb at Liverpool Street station.

"I was on the Tube, and they stopped the train and told everyone to get off and evacuate the station."

He said staff had said the entire Tube network had been affected, and leaflets had been handed out with details of alternative bus routes.

Another eyewitness, Dorothy Molloy, had been on a Tube train at King's Cross and said "staff just chucked everyone out of the station".

She said staff there had not given any details, but she said two passengers she had spoken to had said they had received messages saying there had been bombs.

"People didn't really know what was going on, they were just huffing and puffing and saying how annoying it was," she said.

"People don't seem to be panicked, but there's so many police and ambulances coming into the areas. People are just concerned, and some are just annoyed at the delay."

10. Jonny5

Jonny5 Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    they have confirmed this is a terrorist attack

11. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Just got into the office - its chaos in the city - another bomb just gone off at Hounsditch this moment.

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Word from higher govt. offices is to avoid public transport nationwide. Obviously.

13. reggie

reggie Guest

i cant get through, i guess everyone is phoning to let people know they are ok and the networks are rammed.

I cant get the BBC website here at all, is it down ?

14. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's just really slow.

Latest story from the Beeb:

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    I can`t believe it...I`m shocked....whats going on????
    Just saw all the horrible news on N-TV :(

16. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My thoughts go out to anyone affected in any way by this sad day

17. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Policeman talking to BBC reporter near Tavistock/Russel Sq. stating that the major incident in London today is a train crash at Kings Cross

18. angelboy

angelboy Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Up North - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hope everyones alright.

I can't get to a TV..............!

19. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    All public transport shut down - busses / tube / trains - the lot.

I am 5 mins away from where one of the bombs went off - not good.

20. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

Reggie,

if you want to PM me your son's number, i can try from my landline here. I think you are going to struggle to get through to a mobile in the UK from NZ,

my e-mail is [email protected]

Chris

21. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Guess you've tried email Reggie ?

22. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Scotland Yard to set up a casualty bureau within the next half an hour - will post numbers asap.

Swindon & Brighton rail stations now being closed.

23. reggie

reggie Guest

yes,

cant get through to my home landline either in Surrey and had no calls at all or messages come through.

starting to think my mobile might be screwed. Going back to the hotel business centre and try from there.

Thanks for the updates Guys

Chris, e-mails sent

24. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

Got it !

25. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    ITV are reporting 20 dead. :(

All mobile phone networks have been taken down as this is normally how the terrorists activate the devices remotely.

If you work in London, stay indoors!