348 steering rack replacement | FerrariChat

348 steering rack replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hzimmer, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    My rack has begun to leak. The tech manual is pretty thin on R&R procedure. It appears one would unbolt mounts via access in trunk. Unbolt lower steering shaft pinch bolt. Remove tie rod ends and remove through driverside wheel well. Do I also need to remove sway bar to allow room for rack to slide out a through access in wheel well?? Am I missing anything else? Anyone know of a source for rebuilt racks?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    This seems like an interesting question. I don't think I've heard of a leaky steering rack on a 348, so I looked it up in the Owners Handbook.

"The steering does not need any particular maintenance. If no leaks are verified, neither a replacement nor a replenishment of the semi-liquid grease is required.

If the leaks are verified, the steering gear has to be drained completely from the grease contained in it, whereafter 120cc of the prescribed semi-liquid grease have to be filled up."

The chart says it uses 4 fl.oz. (120cc) of BP Energrease FGL (G 4937). It doesn't show how to drain it or fill it.

Funny, they don't say anything about removing the rack or rebuilding it or replacing it if it leaks, just refilling it.... How badly does it leak?

3. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    Enough to leave a mark on garage floor and several drip under rack boot. My concern is that it has been doing so for a long period of time and the rack is becoming stiff and wont return to center after a turn. I noted the same language you did. My first thought was to regrease, but it appears rack would need to come out for that any way. If I gotta remove it I figured it would be foolish to not replace rack.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    An owners manual won't say anything about rebuilding a rack. 308s commonly have this leak. Since the 348 is still a manual rack it should be similar to removing a 308 rack. Definitley pull the rack and get it rebuilt. Many have tried on 308s patching the leak but it will come back.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Wow this is a new one. Never heard of a 348 rack leaking. Please keep us posted on the procedure.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Rack removal:

1) pickle fork off tie rod ends
    2) take interior carpet out
    3) take wheels off
    4) unbolt 4 bolts to rack
    5) disconnect from the inside helicoptor joint on the floor under the brake area
    6) slide rack out either wheel well

Anyone can rebuild them. Just tell them from fiat. Also, make sure the problem is not the brake master overflow hose dumping fluid on the rack. I have seen this and it has fooled some people.

7. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I will check brake overflow. Any idea who might stock a rebuilt unit so I could reduce down time waiting for rebuild? Also, what fiat would it cross over to?

8. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Does the 348 have the same power rack as the Mondial T? or is the 348 a manual rack....?

9. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
  10. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    Pretty close to what Fatbillybob suggested

Rack removal:

1) pickle fork off tie rod ends
    I unthreaded as I intent to reuse old ones.
    2) take interior carpet out
    only had to pull away from front bulkhead
    3) take wheels off
    4) unbolt 4 bolts to rack
    I also had to remove driver side sway arm bush and bracket and cage bolts and disconnect sway bar from lower A arm in oder move sway bar forard to get necessary clearance for box to clear opening in wheel well.
    5) disconnect from the inside helicoptor joint on the floor under the brake area
    6) slide rack out either wheel well
    May need to remove center undertray to gain acess to air con hoses that may get hung up on rack mounts. (I did)

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the update.

So are you going to rebuild it, or get a new one?

12. hzimmer

hzimmer Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    New. Didn't want to wait for turn around. I think new from Randy at Conti was around $700.00.

13. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Reyes Alternators in Orange, Ca said they could rebuild them for $170.00.
    There number is 714-633-4208. The owners name is Leonardo Reyes.

Mark

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey, right on! Now that is the kind of pricing I'm talking about!

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Hey Ernie you cheapskate.

BatFasterd here....you think my car was gutted the last time you saw it? Well you gotta see it now! New cage is going in. I just bent my first tube. Lets go racin or wrassling!

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL.

Hey chubby.

I saw that you had your old roll cage for sale. I was wondering what the deal was. Let me guess, you 86'd the dash. That has to be it, cause it was the only thing left. Hey did you look at the "348 Japnases style" thread? You have to check it out. I'll give you a hint why. Pay close attention to the bottom rear of the cars, more downforce. :D

Better yet here is the link that was in the thread.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/361649258FbXmQG
    The pics I'm taking about are on page 4 & 5.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah baby page 5!

18. Bob5013

Bob5013 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 26, 2005
    Wellesley Island, New York
    Full Name:
    Bob Pakan
    Anyone know where to buy the BP Energrease FGL? Slight leak on my 328 rack, appears to be coming from the bottom plate/seal on the steering box. I assume I can just remove the bottom plate to drain, install/seal gasket and re-fill from the top plate (pre-load plate). I sent an inquiry to BP in Maryland, no response yet.