Another word that should be banned....... | FerrariChat

Another word that should be banned.......

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by chrlsstyles, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrlsstyles

chrlsstyles Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Rice.

Proper definition: 1. A cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain.

2. The starchy grain of this plant, used as a staple food throughout the world.

Slang definition: An automobile that has been equipped with gawdy, unnesecary accessories, such as 3' high spoilers, loud and/or repulsive paint job and body work. Owners of such automobiles feel that these accessories make their car the best in the world, when in fact it is not.

If the word rice was used in it's "proper" form as describing food I would have no problem with it. It seems that any modification somebody makes to a car, some people on ferrarichat consider "rice" or "ricey" or "riced out". Take into account the feelings of our chatters of asian decent. If you gonna ban the "v" word because some people don't like to be called it, then ban the "r" word because I own a "riced out" honda. and it hurts my feelings.

Just my thoughts.

2. Timphy

Timphy Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Timphy
    Yeah.

My feelings are hurt if someone says 'that guy or that dude'. I am a Homo Sapiens American, dammit, and you are all just soooo insensitive to use otherwise. I mean, really, 'person or human' -- that just burns. . .

Have some compassion for us in our particular Phylum.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Chris,

Tell me you're joking.

4. chrlsstyles

chrlsstyles Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Yes I am.

What about what part. the word or my car. lol

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He might be, but I am not.
    The V word has been banned, as explained in the situation that it's used in a derogatory manner, which some people find it offensive.

Why is the word "rice" different?
    Sure you can use it in "I had rice with my peking duck today", thats fine. But if its used in "i saw this rice car today", as Asian American, I am offended with the way the word is used, and I think its in a derogatory manner. Thus I like it to be banned also.

6. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    As someone who enjoys eating rice, I agree. ;)

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Well, since we are going to have thin skin today, I just decided that I don't want to see the word "ni_gga" used either on this board or on the "other" one. Why, you say? Well, because the Moors conquered Sicily way back when and maybe, just maybe, I have some African blood in me. Fair enough? Good. Maybe I'll spend the rest of the night thinking of every other word that offends me. Yeah, that's a good idea!

Or maybe I'll just be a big boy instead....

8. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I hate rice and am proud of it. (ready for incoming fire)

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The N word in any form, is ALREADY prohibited on this board, the intentional use of it in derogatory manner will result a ban, as moderators already stated.
    As for on the other board, it has nothing to do with this board, each board as its own rules, you can say the V word over there, then sure you can also say rice if you want, or the N word.

Feel free to think of every single word that offends you, I do not give a flying fock.
    All I know is, if a word here gets banned because some ppl find it offensive, then I will speak my mind to tell what is offensive to me, and of course, you have equal rights to tell what is offensive to you. Fair?

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i hate men who acts like women with a vag1na yeast infection (saying it in medical term), they so ghey.

play on. next?

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    So "rice," when used to describe a certain type of car, offends you on F-Chat but not on the other board? Sounds like some hypocritical bullsh!t to me...

12. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    how the fock is that childish? its about being fair and equal.
    i do not care to be PC, but if a place wants to be PC, then be focking PC on everything.
    is that hard to understand for you?

13. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    i think rice is a very offensive word used in a derogatory way on this board, i have seen it a few times on this board which i find shocking. This is a ferrari board which should be full of righteous ppl (or it presumes to maintain the image of) whom should know better. Ban the word rice.

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    So a chat board should either be governed by the strictest rules of morality, or a complete "free-for-all"? There shouldn't be any middle ground whatsoever? Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sorry to have to do this, but you guys obviously aren't listening.

- Prugna 328 banned for 5 days.
    - W00dEar banned for 5 days.

Everybody else, please tread carefully.

16. chrlsstyles

chrlsstyles Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004
    come on now Vic, that's bein a bit harsh. No reason to ban em. Just voicing our opinions.

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    You call it "voicing our opinions," I call it another childish fight that serves little purpose but to offend, instigate, and provide yet another reason for (new) users not to visit this sub-forum.

Enough warnings were given. They were not heeded. I don't think I could have made myself clearer. I have no problem banning others who continue to test the waters. In the span of five minutes since the ban, I've gotten three PM's from users that appreciate the preventative action.

On the issue of the usage of the word "rice," we won't ban the word given other definitions, but will carefully monitor the usage of the term since enough people (some of whom are actually speaking sincerely) seem to feel it derogatory. Let me know if you see abuse of this word.

Heading out for a couple of hours, but feel free to PM me or call to further discuss.

Best.

18. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    damn vic, i thought we were all friends among this board? Banning seems to be a bit excessive no? I know you are trying to clean up the board abit, but lets be real, a "clean" board is a boring board.

Just a few month ago when this board was happening, spin off words were flying left & right, i believe even your gf called me a nukka in person at sam's xmas party. Those were happening time and i believe everyone was having fun on the board in real life whateverz. This board should try to return to that, instead of being in the bland state its in.

moderating on the message board, deleting post, bannding ppl is lame IMHO and will only turn this board for the worse.

19. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    T -- I am with you 110%+++ in spirit...I'd be happier than a pig in **** if everyone (on both sides) stopped taking things so damn seriously and remembered that this is all supposed to be about friends & cars.

I think the problem here is that there seems to be a nasty "us vs. them" attitude brewing -- not in the spirit of fun and jest, but in the spirit of negativity and competitiveness, it's starting to be not fun, and it's being instigated by certain people on both sides.

When we were all calling each other nukkas, etc., we were doing it to laugh at each other. When people are now called V's, it's being done in a nasty and insulting way.

I'm now so pissed off at everyone that I'm going to throw a party and make you all drink with me to celebrate my birthday.

nlh

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'd like to suggest that we step back and take a breath. Vik and I (or is it "me"?) have spelled out the rules, which are F chat's, not ours, btw.
    You can be funny, clever, provocative and interesting and still be on the right side of what are really pretty liberal rules. We don't want this board to be "lame" but neither do we want it to be a hostile environment.
    Now, Vik, if Noah DOESN'T have that party I say ban him.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If someone takes a Japanese car... then proceeds to "make it look like 'Ferrarighini'" - has the car been pasta'ed? If so, does that make it a pasta machine?

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JEZUS H...VIK

I HAVE SEEN IT MUCH MUCH WORSE

I DIDNT REALLY SEE WHY A BAN WAS REALLY NECESSARY??

THEY WERE JUST BICKERING LIKE I DO TOO

PLEASE AS THE NEWLY ELECTED MODERATOR, DONT BE THE GUSTAPO

THANKS

BRUCE

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Vik did the right thing. We're not censoring every single word out there, impossible. I think there are only about 30 words, because that's all my Kansas upbringing can think of! :) Hey, don't call me a redneck, farmer, or hick in a negative way. ;) Comes down to you can find ways to post what you want that circumvent the system, still doesn't make it right. Chill out and those words aren't required to communicate anyway.

Yes and why you are on my favorites list. :D

Peace out ya hicks!

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    there was NO need to ban w00dear and prugna.
    that was complete bullsheiBe in my opinion.

so fchat dont like vagggg1111na, but fchat likes nukka and rice.
    hmmm interesting.

i agree with chris. if u gonna be pc on certain words, u got to be pc on everything out there and ban all the other words like redneck, slanteye, chigger, twinkie, towelhead, etc........

25. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    As Emil put it so well, when people start coming on this forum and using redneck, slanteye, chigger, twinkie, towelhead, etc. as direct insults (and I mean _insults_, not playful name-calling, you nukka), then I'm sure those words will be censored too.

This is about basic civility between people (or, rather, groups of people). This has nothing to do with being politically correct. This has nothing to do with being "equal" in the way this board moderates. Very little in the world is equal.