512TR vs. 360 | FerrariChat

512TR vs. 360

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nt6d, Jul 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have searched the forum and found lots of info on individual model.
    Now I would like to hear some performance comparisons from people who have driven both cars. I know one is a classic and the other is a modern but am wondering how tow cars are different in their performances (pros and cons and likes and dislikes).
    Many thanks in advance,

Chris

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    thats easy 12 cylinders against 8 cylinders and a big old car against a modern new car that will go round corners

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    ...big classic car without power steering, new zippy car with.

4. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    U wanna Bud or a Bud Lite? How about a nice thick jucy New York steak or tofu? Matter of choice I suppose. Do you go for the gusto or not? V-12 man.

5. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    2 totaly different cars in different classes from different eras.
    You can't really compare the two....
    its the whole apples to oranges comparison.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Any Ferrari road car with a 12 beats out almost any other Ferrari road car with an 8 with the exception of maybe the 288GTO.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Generalize much?

8. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Drive both of them and you won't have to ask the question. They are not comparable in any way other than they both say Ferrari.

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I sold my TR for my current 360. I love my 360, but the TR was great to drive also.....not the same car at all. Two different animals. The TR is still the sexist car on the road IMO.

10. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Not apple to apple here. Depends what you like and what you look for really.

11. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I have, daily drive, track and love both. They are two different experiences each with their own personality. My wife much prefers the 512TR on long tours or rallies as she feels it rides better and is more comfortable. I tend to agree although not by much.

The 360 power steering is nice but the so called "heavy" 512 steering is really Ok and over criticized. Both have Tubi's with the 360 singing all the time and the 512 best song is under full accel. Both can easily hold a weeks worth of clothes, plus cameras and a suit and helmet. Both get equal thumbs up from and grins from others.

360 is more nimble through the twisties but the 512 is not bad at all and feels more predictable close to the limit. I have spun both. Both reached the same speed at the end of Longpond straight at Pocono or the back straight at Sebring.
    360 brakes are better. Had to upgrade the brakes on the heavier 512.

Hope this helps.

12. FerrariUSA

FerrariUSA Rookie

Apr 28, 2005
    Two questions coming from an inexperienced ferrari fan:

1. I keep reading about "apple vs. oranges" comparison with V8 vs. V12. I have yet to drive either (I do have a V6 NSX), but can someone describe to me the different feelings of driving a V8 vs. V12?

2. I know words don't come close to the experience actually driving one, how does a newbie get a chance to test drive these dream machines? I always feel awkward and hesitant about going into a ferrari dealer and asking to test drive one.

THanks,
    Jim

13. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    My question would be how do they compare in daily driving - Given the slant towards a V12 because (if you need to ask...) vs high tech new stuff. Hard question. I think you need one of each. If I had the bucks I’d try one, then the other, untill the end of time.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you didn't grow up in the '80s you don't need to own the "Icon"

If you did, there's nothing anyone can say to stop you from buying the TR!

If you're going to drive it alot, the 360 is probably the better choice.

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    TR baby, hands down. Forget about the pedestrian 8cyl., go for the 12 pack.

16. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    You are asking such a personal question and will get lots of personal answers. Once you drive both you will know, maybe. I am like venusone, and will hopefully own and drive (a lot!) every available Ferrari thats within reason financially. My answer is the TR cabin is way cramped for taller folks and the footwell makes driving a chore for me. I love 12cyls though but would choose a 550 all day over a TR(no offense to any TR owner, just, as I said, another opinion). But then the reason I sold my 550 is I wanted something more nimble for the twisty coastal roads.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm pretty sure my F40 has way more everything - style, panache, character, speed, looks, comfort, handling, desirability than any modern Testarossa or any iterations thereof. The same goes for any of the rear engined BB's (365 or 512's). The C4 is also simply plain fugly. The good 12's all have their engines in the front.

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    The difference in 12cyl cars versus 8 cylinder cars, is that a 12 cylinder engine feels turbine like. They're extremely balanced, and the rush of power that comes on is rediculous.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    12 cylinder Ferraris have always been the flagship cars and combined with 2 seats are what personifies the Ferrari legend and myth, the V8s are nice but not in the same league, for instance when you open the hood and see all engine in cars such as Boxers and TRs thats Ferrari, the top of the line V8s the turbo cars such as F40 and 288 don't have the same deep growl and wail at high rpm not only from missing the 4 extra cylinders but the exhaust note is partially mufffled by the turbos plus you need to be on boost for your power vs the instant torque of the 12s off idle, turbo lag sucks.

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i owned a 360 spider and have driven my cousins 512tr a ggreat deal...both cars have a tubi, the 360 sounds great, the 512 is out of this world with a tubi...looks are objective, the 512 gets more looks,and wilder looking, my 0 wife perfers the 360 looks...i like both....the 360 is more modern, easier to drive, easier to see out of, much easier th shift and steer...the 360 handles better, the 512 is better on the high end and on the freeway....acceralation is very close.....the interior of the 360 is much nice, much better ergonomics...the pedals in the 512 are too close for any guy with 11 size ..tipically stupid ferrari engineering...my cousin loves his 512 but but is thinkingof getting a 360 coupe for a change of pace and something he would drive more often....

21. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I used to own 512TR, have driven a few 360s, and now own 360CS...

Gotta tell you...nothing can look better than the TR. The heavy steering is not too bad. I can live with it. The ride is good, but the brake is horrible. V12 has endless power from down low all the way up...I personally think it feels more powerful than my bro's 575 (just drove the heck out of it yesterday). May be that's because 575 is so easy to go fast. cabin is airy and well put together. I love the look of the classic TR, but I do need something that handles better so I moved on to the CS.

360 is much easier to live with. But it can't hang with the 512TR when it's rolling along on the road. the TR will just pull away. But 360 does handle very well. I took it to the curcuit (not the CS) once and was very impressed. Power steering kills most of the steering feel I love but is a godsend in town. V8 lacks precious torque in mid range, gotta keep it up above 6000 rpm for some fun.

Hope this info help a bit....the best way to find out, though, is to drive them both.

22. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I have been driving a 360 for a week and have a 512 so I guess I am nearly in your position. I agree with you BTW.

What brake upgrade did you do? Do you have ABS (post 92 car)? I think that is the only deficiency in the 512 as ABS avoids having to relearn the brake modulation especially in the rain. Yeah I know but some of us really do drive their cars!!

23. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you all for great inputs. I guess I just have to try out both to see which one I would enjoy more driving around. This will be a weekend car, and I am planning to drive it once week or so. I wish I could have both but simply cannot afford $$$ at the moment.
    Time to get some Lotto tickets :)

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond...

Chris

24. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    owned them both and they are as different as night and day.
    if i had to choose, my preference would be the 360 for its improved and refined technology and more driver friendly.

25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Doce !