SS brakeline problem and pad replacement | FerrariChat

SS brakeline problem and pad replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FasterIsBetter, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I ordered a set of stainless steel brake hoses from Demon Tweaks a few weeks ago, and just got around to installing them on the '84 Mondial QV Euro this weekend. The rears fit perfectly, but the fronts were wrong. The hoses on the car are about 4" longer than the ones they sent me in the Goodridge kit (all four hoses in the kit are the same length, which is correct for the rears). Has anyone encountered this problem before? I have the floating calipers on this car.

Also, in reviewing the shop manual, it says that the retaining pins in the calipers that must be removed to replace the pads are one-time use only. Any ideas on how to deal with that or where to get them?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    can't help with the pins I'm afraid but it sounds like they sent you out an incorrect set of hoses, I know the ones on the GT4 are a couple of inches longer on the front compared to the rears. I think they make the sets up on demand so they probably just made a mistake. I'd definately contact them.

Cheers
    Scotty

3. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks, Scotty. I did contact them and I'm sending the two hoses back, along with a couple of photos of the brake hose that came off the car set against a tap measurer, so they can see the correct length. The hoses they sent me were 14" long. The ones in the front measure 18" long and have a special fitting going into the caliper.

4. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    just got some porterfield brake pads and I'd sure like to know if the pins have to be replaced and where to get them. I've seen a thread and was referred to another sit with a brake pad replacement protocol and I don't remember it saying that new pins are necessary.

5. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 Mr Iceman, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If its the retaining pins (24 in picture) then they are definately OK to reuse, they are very solid peices of metal, and the WSmanual makes no reference to replacing them, in fact it says"refit the pins". If its the split pins (25 in picture) that are on the rear caliper only, on the GT4 anyway, I have reused them and as long as they are nit corroded I don't see why that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers, Scotty
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Scott,

Thanks for the input, but I don't think the diagram you posted is for the floating calipers on the '84 QV Euro car. I have the WS manual, and for the calipers I have, it specifically says in a bold faced note at the bottom of the page that those pins cannot be reused and must be replaced. However, I've spoke to several people including suppliers and mechanics, and they say as long as they are in good condition, they can be reused.

The main problem seems to be that the pins are not available separately and only come in a caliper rebuild kit that costs $65 per wheel. Since I don't need the rebuild kits, I'd rather not spring for $65 X 4 just to get the pins. So I'll just have to remove them really, really carefully and try to reuse them.