308 QV missing one cylinder when cold | FerrariChat

308 QV missing one cylinder when cold

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by keithjallen, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keithjallen

keithjallen Rookie

Feb 19, 2004
    Surrey England
    Full Name:
    Keith Allen
    I have a Mondial 308QV which runs on 7 cylinders when cold. Cyl 1 on the rear bank appears not to be firing (established by pulling off plug leads) when cold but seems to come in when temperature is normal. I have tried changing the plug lead but had no effect. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Red Cab

Red Cab Rookie

Jul 10, 2005
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Bob Barreto
    Had the same problem with my '85 QV. Could have been two things. 1st was that there's an automatic cold start in the FI system (a choke) that goes sour. Second was dirty injectors. Fixed both. No problems. Easy fix. Hope that helps.

Bob

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I would second redcab on this. I would suspect a faulty injector.

4. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was told by a ferrari mechanic to also look at the wire to the cylinder in question. He suggested cutting the end where it goes into the distributor and re-terminating. While your at it might as well look inside the distributor to make sure you are making proper contact with the rotor.

5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I would suggest checking if #1 is actually sparking or not when cold. If it's sparking but not firing then it could be fuelling, if no spark then Ignition is the problem.

6. keithjallen

keithjallen Rookie

Feb 19, 2004
    Surrey England
    Full Name:
    Keith Allen
    It is definitely sparking. How do I check the injector and this cold start device? Any ideas? Thank you.

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Pull the injector and get it checked or replace it.

8. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I think the QV has Bosch K-Jetronic FI? If so, then the cold start is an extra injector that feeds all cylinders. So I would think it more likely to be a problem with the injector on #1 as the others have said.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    CIS injectors are tested by connecting them to a source of liquid under pressure & observing the flow quantity & spray pattern. BOSCH makes a tester specificly for these injectors, & there are also aftermarket testers out there.

Too bad you 're not here in MA as I have a BOSCH injector tester/cleaner.