308 vs 328 | FerrariChat

308 vs 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by aseweepay, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Hey guys/gals:

Like many of you I have dreamed of owning a Ferrari since I was a little kid,
    I still remember watching Magnum P.I. just hoping to catch a glimpse of the
    Ferrari...anyway, I am finally starting to seriously consider either purchasing a 308 quattro. now, or wait a little longer to purchase a 328. Is the 328 truly worth the approx $10000 premium over a 308 quattro ? I have the book "original Ferrari 308" as well as "the complete guide to the Ferrari 308 series" as well as many others, but I would like to hear from the owners of these cars, what do you think....while "all things being equal" I am leaning toward the 328, it would be nice to save the $10000 or so and put it in the "Ferrari pampering" jar. I am in the St.Louis area if anyone ownes one of these and would be interested in showing me the ins and outs, of either model...Thanks in advance for your responses...

Ken

2. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Which car looks better to you? Buy that car.....don't even think you can use rational and common-sense when it comes to buying a Ferrari; that's like trying to convince your wife that swallowing has health benefits.

Still can't decide? Buy the 308, it's an honest Ferrari with looks...the 328 is a better/newer model, but that front-end is just not doing it. 308 will go classic furthermore down the line. I may be wrong, but who really cares? ;)

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Simple answer no it isn't worth the premium. 308 all the way.

4. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I heard the 328 is very reliable car... But that's not what Ferrari is all about. Buy the one that you like, buy the one you enjoy looking at it, buy the one that you can star at it for the whole day, buy the look not technology...

5. PMDDMD

PMDDMD Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Gotta agree...the bottom line is, whichever one brings a bigger smile to your face...buy it!

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If you're going to get a 308, get an early Carb car. They sound better and are less likely to leave you stranded with an ignition or fueling problem. Given the choice between an Fuel Injected 308 or a 328 I would go for the 328, but I'm not sure it's quite worth a $10k premium?

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you like either model about the same buy the best you can afford between the years 76 thru 79 or between 84 and 89.

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have had 3 308's (77, 84, & 85) and 2 328's (87 & 89). I still have the 89, a GTB.

The 308's were considerably needier, partly because they are older, partly becasue 328's are better designed and built. I don't think the difference in price is really 10K. If you were to compare an 85 308 and 86 328 with same condition/miles, I think the difference is closer to 5K. If money is really an issue, I would look for a really cherry carb 308 which would still be cheaper than an average QV. I know you mentioned the Magnum PI influence, but the GTB's are actually much better cars.

Dave

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    LOL. Agree with most of this, didn't know about the health tip. I've been told the reliability difference between a 308QV and 328 is pretty much a wash - they have different weak spots, neither one's a Lexus, and they both look great - even if the 328 looks a little blunt up front.

But - 308 does seem like a classic (interior especially). Given the minor diff. in bhp, I'd probably go 308.

Definitely get the GTS. GTB may be better on the track, but you're going to be hurting when those Magnum re-runs come on.

10. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    it all comes down to personal preference. Are you into a real sports car experience? What comforts do you have to have like power steering, cruise control, hydraulic assisted clutch, etc.

11. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Thanks for the info guys, Don, none of the above....my current fun car is a 1960 Austin Healey that has no "creature comforts" what-so-ever...just a great exhaust note and a lot of fun to drive...Unless I am going to buy a hydraulic lift for my garage I should probably sell it if I am going to do this, but I just can't bring myself to part with it...From my research I think that I can get a really nice 308 Quattro for the starting price of a so so 328, and since how well a car is cared for etc. is very important, especially with these cars, I will probably lean towards the 308, but we will see, I am going to be out of town on business for the next week, so I have nothing but time to think it over...thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond...

Ken

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    What Austin do you have? picts?

13. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    #13 aseweepay, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1960 BT7 with a BJ8 Engine...Healey Blue with Blue leather interior....about 5500 mile on a rebuilt motor...absolutely love it, but my dream car is still a Ferrari...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    very nice..............

I've been thinking 3000 or MB 190sl