Predictions on the Testarossa Market | FerrariChat

Predictions on the Testarossa Market

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by targanero, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Since 308qvs and 328s are now on the rise, do you think that the testarossa market has found a bottom and will rise from here on out? Or will the slow decline continue along with the 348, 355, and 360s?

Any thoughts are appreciated, would like to time purchase as well as possible. Not in a hurry and am enjoying my '83 308 GTS immensely, but the 'ole 12 banger is a-callin'.

2. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    As a TR owner this is obviously interesting but only if I will sell which is doubtful. I would imagine as the many new comers to the Ferrari ownership club grows that the TR will stabalise and there are only so many cars out there. Its still a beautiful car and a Ferrari 12 to boot I would go for it.

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
  4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd guess they'll all go up when they hit classic status (246 Dino's already there). I think the only depeciation left in TR's (and '80s cars like the 308/328's) will be because of mileage or deterioration.

The 360 still has a long way to fall - tons of them for sale. 355's are really desirable cars, so it's hard to say whether those could fall more. (The Porsche equivalent might be the 993TT, which is among the hottest "modern collectibles" right now.)

I'm not a big fan of trying to time the market for collectible cars. Frankly, unless you expect a TR to go up $5K or more every year you're going to be behind because of maintenance/repair/operating costs anyway. Get one if you love 'em. Generally, I buy sports cars with an eye towards not losing much or any money during my ownership. That's about it.

My two lira.

5. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I agree with your comment I have had dozens of cars and dont know other than a Vette that I really made money thats not why I bought them if you want an investment try a CD

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    TRs values may level off, but I doubt they ever increase in value other than for COLA type adjustments. They made way too many of them ... I believe Ferrari made more TRs than any other single model up until the 360?

7. yorkshirelad

yorkshirelad Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2005
    bradford
    Full Name:
    ian
    I would have thought the price would level out a bit, I'm hoping it does with the 348

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Who sez 308qvs and 328s are "now on the rise"?

I heard this saying once: "If your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. If you lose your job, it's a depression."

And so for F-cars... "If I own it, it's "on the rise." If I don't, it's in a "slow decline."
    ;)

9. Benzino

Benzino Karting

Jul 6, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I was gonna go TR but it wouldnt fit the garage!

30k is the bottom for an early one...wont go below it...but wont go above it TBH..classic shape but unless petrol prices go down...it will stay there.

The 348 is the one to own i think...the worst Ferrari ever (alledgedly) thats keeps them cheap...mine at 24k!...But i expect them to rise when people realise they are actually the one to have!!!!!..AWESOME..so much better looking than the 355 or 360 IMO.

10. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon

I think those who've kept an eye on the ferrari resale market for the past 12-18 months would agree with me on the 308/328s. And I'm not talking about the FML asking price index which doesn't take enough cars into consideration to be all that accurate.

I wouldn't buy a ferrari newer than 1974 as an investment, but buying at the bottom of any market is always optimal.

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Really great 308's are extremely hard to find, price aside, even now during the summer selling season. You will not find a great 308QV for below $40K anymore, and even some of the ones I've considered in the low to mid $40K's have needed upholstery, aftermarket stereos and alarms corrected, etc, apart from any potential mechanical issues due to age. Great 328's are $50K+ from what I've seen - newer model, better performance - although they're way more common and you could find a nice one for sale any day of the week.

There are plenty of dogs on eBay, so it does look like you can buy these cars for $20K-$25K left and right. But if you really want a car that's all there, I'd be afraid to negotiate too hard on a primo 308.

I'm not shopping TR's, so I can't comment.

I don't think really pristine 308's or 328's are going to get any cheaper over time.

12. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I can't imagine how a 308, with ONLY 205 HP, can ever be worth more than a TR.........IMO.

If the TRs value gets close to the 40K mark, then I think they will be worth more parted out.

13. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    I was at a high line auction last week in Atlanta. A red 87 TR was a no sell at 47k and a red 85 308QV a no sell at 45k. This was a dealer auction so they obviously think a 308 is worth bidding higher and easier to shift. I was actually shocked at the bidding going so high for cars you couldn't even test drive more than around the parking lot.

14. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    I think you might be overestimating the strength of the market. I have kept track of prices here in the Midwest, and a good 308QV will sell in the low to mid 30's, with a nice 328 in the $40's.

The Testarossa market I find really strange. There seems to be lots and lots of low mileage garage queens available with asking prices up in the 70's. However, these cars seem to sit on the market forever, or get traded from dealer to dealer. With most cars, finding a 20 year old vehicle with 7,000 is miles rare indeed. With TR's, seems to be norm. Given the minimal use these vehicles have gotten, I wonder if the TR is the red-headed stepchild (pun intended) of modern Ferrari's.

15. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    A good QV at that price is a buy. You could bring it down here and turn a few bucks. Buy a TR with the money and bring it back up there on the return trip...................

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    OK...let's trim through some of the B.S. floating around...

Here are actual numbers from Manheim auctions for the last 7 months for TR's (85 & 86 models), as well as #'s for 83-86 QV models. Figure $5K mark-up from the dealer. NOTE: I only included those that were rates "ABOVE AVG CONDITION".

308QV

47K miles - $32K
    30K miles - $27,200
    34K miles - $34,900
    53K miles - $25K

TR

32K miles - $47,500
    27K miles - $30K
    35K miles - $34K
    25K miles - $53K

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not to hijack too much from the TR thread, but we would have to compare definitions of 'nice' to make this really meaningful. Please post a link to a good 308 QV available in the low $30K range.

Good post, although again "above average condition" leaves some leeway for interpretation. The 34K-mile car would be about $40K at dealer - that sounds about right. Sub-30K-mile QV's seem to run between $40K-$45K. The 30K-mile car went for much less, telling that "above average" isn't really precise as a description.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Two issues with testarossas, looks and maintanance. The cheesegrate looks
    appear to be a styling dead end, the car speaks 80's and was an icon fror greed and excess, not good taste. Dinos Dayrtonas and 308s have harmony of line the testarossa is more extreme in look and unresolved from some angles.

That is the view now of course. 20 years from now a testarossa might be seen as an all time classic just like a pink 50's cadillac, its extreme unusual and not likely to be repeated.

Buying a testarossa now means questionable styling with high maintanance, a 400I suffers the same fate. Unlike a 400i a testarossa has sparkling performance with race car thrills on the street, and is the easiest to drive of the he man ferraris.The performance may not be the best on a track but is more than can be exploited on the street, its main road drawback is width.

Nearly any old car is going to cost money to put into great driving condition and require tlc. For the testarossa you get a great motor, questionable looks with bills. A 308 has looks is nimble and cost less to keep. So it seems that for entry level both cars have merits and should cost similar money.

What would a maserati ghibli be worth it it wasnt so expensive to keep, a healy is expensive to buy these days but relatively inexpensive to keep.

Similar issue with boxers, but there are less of them and they at least have that 308 on steriods beauty going for them. When flat twelves become "the thing" then boxers will rise and testarossas will be pulled up with them.

A 512tr and 512m may always occupy their own niche because their performance is truly sensational.

By the time this all happens we will be able to buy 15 yeal old 550's for reasonable money and 456's will be cheap if you can afford the bills. A 355 will be the 308 of today.

19. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hard to think a 355 would sell for less than a 308. But, the 308 is way less than a 246... check back on this forum in 2025 I guess.

TR isn't my favorite Ferrari, but I saw a red one in Annapolis back in April (doing the walking tour around the USNA) and it has an amazing presence. I think there will always be demand for something that exclusive and outrageous.

Of course this is all speculation. Congrats on your 512BBi.

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I second everything you said...

21. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Based upon the comments here it sure sounds like the 360 will fall like a rock once the 430 is here in ample numbers. might be a good buy a year or two from now. i hope CS's go down too so that I can get one at a good price. I have always been intrigued by the 512Lm. Are they really that special?

22. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    My feeling is that with their "very different to other cars and other Ferraris" looks, the Testarossa in particular but also the 348 will always have an appeal.

I very much doubt we'll see their like again, and that alone will ensure that at least some people will desire them.

Jas

23. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I think your post is right on the button Sean, although you may be underestimating the appeal of the TR to the masses, although it was produced in large numbers by Ferrari standards it is the most visually recognisable model they have made according to the many surveys done. The Boxer is a bit of an enigma, its always been my favourite, but I like you am probably one of the educated minority, I see it as a better car than the TR(with due respect to TR owners) especially the driving experience, and I assume the reason the market price for Boxers is flat is because the Fcar market in general is flat with a few exceptions such as Daytonas which appear to be slowly creeping up. In the UK there are only 42 RHD BBi yet prices are flat, early Tr cars however are less expensive, and if a price rise occurs it will depend on where the money comes from, an increase in wealth among the younger car buyers will push up newer models first, then again who knows, I am in my thirties and bought a Boxer.
    Thing is now I am considering selling it to make way for a Diablo, but the decision is killing me and I cant decide.
    Steve

24. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    I know it's Blasphemy but to me the Testarossa is the most beautiful of the post 512Bb era cars. And not that it should matter to anyone, but the Testarossa wins the Maxim greatest car ever built award every year. The Testarossa is one of a small handfull of autos that outs me in "Artistic Arrest" when I see it. I would much rather pay maint on a 512 than a 360. The new Ferraris just don't "do it" for me.
    But alas, I'm an old fart...an old fart who watched a lot of Miami Vice!!!

25. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I agree with everything you said and my wife would agree with the old fart part.