Help! 348 ECU | FerrariChat

Help! 348 ECU

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by airbarton, Jul 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    One of my Motronic ECU's went out and I need to find one. The dealer wants $2200 for one and says I need to buy two of them because they have to match and Ferrari no longer makes the one I have. I have the Motronic 2.7 Ferrari part # 142519 Bosch part # 0 261 200 489. I would like to find one from a wrecked car or something or even a new one. I would even consider suggestions on a possible ignition converstion or maybe even a repair service.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    the exact same Motronic went into some other european cars. I recommend you do some research and find a car with the equivalent box, then swap out your EPROM for the one in the SAAB/Volvo etc. CPU. Done.

4. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    whats wrong with car and what does the dealer say is wrong with your computor. The ecu is a bosch unit. You should not need two unless the other one is also shorted or malfunctioning. These computors dont share information like the newer models. You should be able to send it out to cailforina a company called Fuel injection service has been able to repair several ecu's for me in the past call # 925-371-6551 Ron Flashback Motor Works 404/435/6760 770/781/8989

5. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    The dealer put it on the computer tester and swapped the units. Problem switched sides when units were swapped. The car is showing numerous errors, running horrible. It will barely idle. They are convinced the unit is bad and I have no reason to doubt them. They have been very good in the past.

6. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Jack, thanks for the info. I wonder if this is the matching unit?

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I'm surprised that the ECU's could be swapped, as I was under the Ferrari Factory Workshop book impression that one ECU provided some engine-related functionality that the other did not.

But $350 will get your your ECU rebuilt. Talk to these guys (they rebuild 348 ABS units, exhaust ecus, and engine management ECU's): http://www.bba-reman.com

8. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Why not chip your car out with an upgraded ECU.
    NAPerformance has the Razzo Rosso ECU ships from Carobu Engineering
    for your 348. They're only $1000 or so. Why go stock?

9. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    The Razzo rosso is just a chip upgrade. I need the entire unit.

10. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Jack, I talked the the guys at Ricambia and they verified what the dealer said about the units matching. Unfortunately the unit they have is the wrong Bosch part#. I would still need to buy two units to make it work. Has anyone ever mixed two different units together to see if the dealers are correct? Has anyone ever converted thier Engine management system to another type? There are several companies that make universal programable ECU's. I wonder how difficult it would be to do.

11. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    what about the suggestion about sending out the non-working unit to get fixed...is that a solution?

12. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Just as a *GUESS* (full disclosure), I would suspect that Ricambia and Ferrari are concerned about different fuel to air ratio maps in different units when they say "don't match."

IF, big "if," that is truly the only reason for their concern about the ECU's, then to me you've got four options:
    1. pull the fuel mapping chips out of your existing matched OEM ECU that you are replacing and re-install it into your new ECU (that would keep the fuel to air maps the same in both ECU's and let you only buy one replacement ECU),
    2. Put upgraded fuel to air mapping chips into both your old ECU that you are keeping as well as into your new replacement unit,
    3. buy two new ECU's (up to $4,400), or
    4. Upgrade to a "racing" ECU replacement system (I'm thinking that most of the racing ECU's used on 348's run $3,000 or less).

All of the above would keep the fuel to air maps "matched."

Of course, this is only a guess. They may have *other* ECU concerns regarding matching the two units besides just the fuel to air maps.

13. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Here's one suggestion but dunno what all you'd need.

http://www.motec.com/products.htm

Cheers
    Kevin

14. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Charles,

If you can give me a day, I know someone who has just bought a complete engine with the 2.7 ECU's that are surplus to his requirements. Will get back to you as soon as I know anything.

Paul

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

That's the 94 spyder ecu. It has been superceeded. There is no race ecu unless someone burned their own eprom. Challenge cars used the 94 spyder ecu. A really smart guy can take you good ecu and burn you a copy of the eprom to try in your bad ecu. Does anyone know what is bad? The eprom is the brain of the box. You could open the ecu boxes and swap the eproms. If the bad box now works you now it is the eprom and then you could 1) find that smart guy...Reiner knows lots of smart guys 2) buy a superchips set of eproms but you may not pass smog in your state 3) you are going to have to buy two ecus new or used. Used I think about $3000 new $4000. Reiner or I could talk you through opening the box.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Oh I forgot, Doing Motec is a pain because you need to dyno your car at a minimum and reengineer what ferrari ahs done. It is not as easy as everyone says. It is best used for racers who want to go outside factory parameters with headers bigger intakes etc. . Motec is also not street legal for many states even if you pass smog. That said if you want to buy me a motec for my racecar 348 I'll swap you my ECUS! I don't have to worry about smog and I been thinking about a turbo.....

17. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Charles,

Looks like we are in luck - Have sent you a PM.

Paul

18. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    How much is the motec?

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gee,

I'm not sure but it has to be less than 2 Ferrari ECU's. If you are serious I will find out for you.

20. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    You might want to try directauto.com they sent me to a guy who rebuilds all Bosch stuff...they rebuilt my Mass Air Flow Sensor back to factory specs ( yes I know a lowly sensor is a WHOLE lot easier than a ecu) but hey it is a phone call...my rebuilt sensor was just a 100 bucks or so with a guarantee! Used ecu's are still very costly and they might not even work...

21. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I'll give them a shot.