any triathletes here? | FerrariChat

any triathletes here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ryan S., Jul 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    gonna start training really hard over the next few months for a local triathlon in my area, should be pretty cool. Anyone have any tips for a first time triathlon racer? My swimming and biking should be good by the time the race comes around, the only thing i really need to work on is my running. anyways, thanks in advance for any advice,
    Ry

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Does the bedroom count? Myself and two stunningly gorgeous blonde ladies?

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

swimming and the bike are good skills...but you win or loose on the run.

i know guys that could not swim well and were ok on the bike...they would finish well as a result of the run.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've done a few dozen triathlons here and there. Warning, if you want to continue doing triathlons and want to remain in great shape, don't start car racing!!!

What are the distances of the tri?

How much swimming, biking, and running have you done past few months?

When is the event?

Have you done a bike race before? Have you done a running race before?

What are your goals? Just to finish at any pace or do you want to be competitive (never a great goal for your first one)?

How prone to injuries are you?

What kind of bike do you have right now?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very true at the amateur level it is easy to fake yourself through the swim (always the shortest part of a tri) and bike (anyone can spin pedals), but coming off the other two and pound the pavement for any distance is the toughest. A typical tri you'll have 25% walking through the end of the run, just by being able to keep your run going to the finish you'll usually place well.

However, because biking is the longest segment of the tri, pro triathletes will concentrate on this part the most. Not only is it longer time wise, but to do a good run, you have to come off the bike fresh, which means being in great cycling shape.

The typical time spent for a pro in an Olympic distance tri...

Swim (1500 meters): 18 minutes
    Bike (24.8 miles): 57 minutes
    Run (6.2 miles): 35 minutes
    Transitions (2): 30 seconds each for a minute
    ---
    Total: 1:51

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have some great advice to give, but you need to answer some questions. Last year I was coached by Sara and Ric Rosenkranz (pros and certified USAT coaches), so learned quite a bit more than just coaching myself the previous 5 years.

7. NoTorq

NoTorq Rookie

Nov 3, 2003