Planning trip to Alps/Italy/South France - Suggestions ?? | FerrariChat

Planning trip to Alps/Italy/South France - Suggestions ??

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Musicman, Jul 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Am starting to plan a road trip taking in scenic passes in the Alps, Lakes in North Italy then back via Monte Carlo and France. Anyone got any suggestions for the best routes/roads that should be factored in to the planning ?? I'm looking at a circa 10 day trip and have done Simplon and St Gothard passes before but never done the others - any that are real must ?? I'll be using my X5 4.8is for the trip this time. any thoughts much appreciated.

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If you do a quick search on here, a few people have the same queries which I replied to (think Cal was one of the original posters).

3. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Well as some people know, I've just done Le Mans/Paris/Strasbourg/Basle/St Gottard Pass/Lake Como/Garda/Maranello/Genova/Monte Carlo/St Tropez/Nice/Marseilles/Lyon/Dijon/Calais

I would'nt bother with Lake Garda unless you want to mix with over 60's.Lake Como is stunning. The town isnt brilliant but the lakeside is fab.Stayed there a couple of days. I'd just done the Gottard pass before the Lakes but have'nt done any of the others. Don't bother with Genova, its a bit like a big version of Slough - Monaco is a must. Stay at David Coulthard's hotel - The Columbus. Stayed at a few there an this is not only by far the best value, but easily the most chic. Lots of candles, leather, mahogany, but very modern and the staff are the friendliest ever - superb. Naturally they are also car mad and underground parking is available at 25euros a night. Fab place.I paid 205 Euros a night for a twin room. Your Misses will worship you if you take her there.Then you might as well do Antibes - fab beach :) then St Tropez. Very cool. Roads in and out of Monaco are fab - lots of tunnels and fab scenery..PM me if you want any specifics on hotels etc. If you go to Nice head for the Medieval village of Entrevaux - about 40 miles North of Nice - its up in the Alps.Accessed via the N205. Unbelievable place, fab views and fab roads on the way up.Have a meal overlooking the gorge in the restaurant there. Good luck anyway...

4. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    thanks simon.

5. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Alps are fantastic. Last year, we took the 355 Spider to Lausanne, Geneva, Montreux, Zermatt, over the Simplon to Fortei-dei Marmi in Italy, Pisa, Maranello, then up to the Stelvio Pass (over rated, in my opinion), St Moritz, Interlaken, Zurich, Lucern. 11 days, 3000 miles and 4 different hotels was hectic! Wednesday we are doing it again, but this time stopping in Reims, then Grenoble before taking the 'Route Napoleon' to Nice for a couple of nights, then basing ourselves in Montreux for 7 nights - from there we can go over Grimsel pass, Furka pass etc. etc. Check out www.alpineroads.com, get a copy of autoroute and plan your trip! You'll have a great time!

If you want to see our full itinerary with sightseeing plan from last year, I can send you the Powerpoint file.....

Cheers,

Dem.

6. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    "If you want to see our full itinerary with sightseeing plan from last year, I can send you the Powerpoint file....."
    Yes please could you PM it to me? as I am trying too plan atrip to France next year

7. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    #7 simon355, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

if you vist Reims you must visit the Champagne House & cellars of Veuve Clicquot. Its pretty interesting and theres a great gift shop. Got some Orange sunglasses to match the Lambo! Their address is : Place des Droits de L'homme, 51100 Reims. Well worth it..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I would also head over to Epernay.

Hotel Roayal Champagne has a michelin starred restaurant and you can also visit Champagne Jean Moutardier. This is a smaller house so great to compare to larger houses such as Moet and Veuve. It is run by and Englishman and he will give you a full & personal tour of his production facilities.

9. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    We want "Veuve Clicquot" sponsorship for Le Mans next year.

Rick

10. Jimnic007

Jimnic007 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    James Nicholson
    paging Mr Stimmers.....champagne sponsorship required!!

11. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

Im on the case, but cant approach anyone too soon !

Got to approach them when there is some Le Mans hype, lots of discussion about the trip from their target market (F-Chat, P-Heads and other websites). We need to sell the concept of 'flash cars, people with money and huge opportunities for advertising.

I would even go so far as to suggest they encorporate their own tent, somewhere in the grounds of the track.

So im on the case, but far too soon to start talking to people !

12. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    No probs - will do!

13. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    #13 Dem, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Simon,

Cheers for the tip! The missus will be most pleased......... I'm off the booze after a lock-in at my local last night. Never had Red Stripe before, but won't be drinking it again in a hurry.........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    Oe that apint of champs that you have just sunk ??????
    your eyes look glazed should try mascara;-)

15. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    I was ruined...............

Anyway - files E-mailed to those who requested! I know it looks like the geekiest amount of detail in those files, but it was actually worth doing!

16. Kingsize K2

Kingsize K2 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    North London
    Full Name:
    Kevin Giblin
    You guys are all right wanting to travel around Europe. If you want to do it with an amazing group of cars, staying at some of the best hotels in Europe, including the Villa d'Este on Lake Como, check out my website - www.ClubGT.com

We've got a great combination of hotels, limited driving each day so you can enjoy the hotels/ spa's/ evening meals and entertainment and we even have a trackday thrown in too for good measure

17. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Well, me and the missus, plus back-up (my mate and bird in his 330Ci), are off on the 2005 tour this Wednesday morning at 1am (oh goody).

Grenoble 1 night
    Nice 2 nights (Monaco during the day)
    Montreux 7 nights (

So, if you happen to be on the continent and see the car on the hard shoulder with a flat, p1ssing oil, or blowing steam out the radiators, have a heart and give us a lift home!

;)

18. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Re Switzerland, IMHO the Julier Pass is the most fun for overtaking whole streams of traffic it - runs into St Mortiz from the A13 at Thusis - the Grimsel is more spectacular but you run the risk of being held up by slow traffic.

In the South of France, I'd also recommend you drop in on Villefranche Sur Mer for lunch at somewhere like the Mer Germaine or Carpaccio on the waterfront. It's between St Jean Cap Ferrat and Nice....oh and don't forget a trip up to Eze village - there's a great hotel there too - but lunch on the terrace with spectacular views of the Med far below you is as good as a night there!...Eze can be reached via the moyenne corniche (IIRC) out the back of Monaco - it's about halfway between Monaco and Nice.

I also rate Cannes above Antibes more for the pretty town than anything else

Oh and if staying in St Moritz, I can recommend the Kempinski - underground parking too