Megan's Law- Sex Offenders Registry in CA | FerrariChat

Megan's Law- Sex Offenders Registry in CA

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Viper 10, Jul 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Hi Friends:

Information on Registered Sex Offenders:

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/DISCLAIMER.htm

Check the disclaimer box and continue search by name, address, city, zip, county, parks, or schools.

Interesting to see how many live near you. Be careful out there… and pass this on to your friends and loved ones in California.

Brad

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Brad,

Thankfully there are none, THAT ARE REGISTERED, near me. I was shocked to see how many have skipped out or that are around. Reading what they have done is sobering and sickening.

3. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Lucky for me, I live between 2 public elementary schools and a 2 private ones.

Looking at the 3/4mile map there are actually 5 schools on the map.

Still 5 offenders in the 3/4 radius around me.

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    This brings up something that I was discussing with my girl friend the other night. She’s a Pre-School teacher and the other day a parent came in with a list such as this listing all of the offenders within a ten mile radius of the school. Needless to say it got quite a few of the parents all lathered up and upset my GF. What upset her though wasn’t the fact that there were indeed registered offenders within that radius. (I mean, it’s LA. Do you know how many people live within a ten mile radius of Hollywood?! ) What upset her was that statistically speaking this was a Red Herring.

The vast majority of molestation doesn’t come from individuals such as these. The perpetrators are usually family members, friends, and neighbors. Once they’ve been caught, they then appear on these lists after they’ve done time. Before then they were a parent’s relative, friend or Neighbor. Also the predators that you really have to look out for, the ones that are truly predatorial repeat offenders usually don’t register. It’s estimated that ¼ to 1/3 of all sex offenders released don’t wind up registering and are running under the radar. Something Matteo pointed out.

Should these registered individuals be closely watched? You bet you life. But, as my girl friend pointed out to me these lists can sometimes lull people into a false diligence. Communication with your children is the best defense against this crime. Ask them how their day was. What they did at school. Who’d they meet and play with. AND LISTEN TO THEM! Predators don’t just snatch children. Those occurrences are very rare, but always make the news. They usually entice children in with toys, candy, games… and then use guilt and shame to keep them quiet. That way they can continue on with their crime.

I’m not arguing against the list. Far from it. But it doesn’t substitute for good parenting skills which unfortunately seems to be in very short supply in this nation.

5. CaptainFerrari

Jul 15, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Jeremiah Nelson
    Dude, that crap scares me. Even the best parent can be waylaid by a freakish perp.

6. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Well said Charles.