308 GT4 DIY coolant recovery system... | FerrariChat

308 GT4 DIY coolant recovery system...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Peter, Jul 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #1 Peter, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since I started that thread on the oil cooler hoses, here's another one of my projects I've done to my GT4.

For quite sometime, I've always had to deal with the expansion tank spitting out some coolant onto the pavement... Plus deal with those helpful bystanders pointing it out "hey dude, your car is dumping antifreeze!". It's not like this happens all of the time, but often enough that it's been annoying.

Inspired by others who've installed tanks of one kind or another, I decided to make my own, as I wanted it to look as if it were an original part. I chose the location, made a cardboard template, made necessary changes, then TIG welded the actual piece out of aluminum. With thanks to "Spasso" who suggested a good size/volume, it is over a litre in capacity (just under a litre below the vent), mounts right near the outlet of the tank and works very, very well. The tank has a sight-glass for instant checking of quantity, has a petcock valve on the bottom for draining and a venting on the back side, hidden out of view and terminating in the same spot as the original hose. It's painted in wrinkle black to match the air-box and oil-cooler duct.

The reason for the "L" shape is so that the hose for the carbon canister can pass by, alongside the rear firewall.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Waauw Peter,
    That looks great!!
    I had the same problem. Getting bored of all those people pointing and shouting "hey sir, your Ferrari is leaking!!". Even at trafficlights I had people stepping out of their car and knocking on my window.

The solution you made is great and looks like it originally belongs there.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is a brilliant piece of practical engineering and fabrication.
    Very well done!

4. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Awesome!!!!

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Err yes, it's very nice...

but there shouldn't be any need for it.

The expansion tank already does this job. If the cap is still blowing coolant out, it's either because your level is too high, or system not bled properly, or your rad cap is faulty (or it's overheating for some reason, but thats doubtful unless your fans are not working correctly).

If you bleed the system with the heaters on and set the level to about 30 mm below the bottom of the neck. it'll be fine... The expansion tank can run at almost empty while stone cold, and fill to the 30mm level when hot/warm.

6. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    An enthusiastic 2 thumbs up on the best looking "puke" tank have ever seen and that included a few tracks. I wish I could get the finish to turn out like that, never had the luck.
    And Phil you are of course technically right on as usual. But then does it hurt to have a reserve? While it may be comfortable to some, most north americans get uncomfortable seeing low levels. No doubt due to the designs our manufacturers use. Personaly I prefer to run one,and have built several but Peter gets the prize for well thought out design.
    Side note:
    when explaining the trickle of coolant to a "ricer" simply tell them it is a male marking it's territory, and didn't theirs do that? Usual shuts them up LOL
    Kermit

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The only time my car pukes coolant is when I have overfilled it or it over heats (used to happen when I had flaky fuseblocks and one of the fans would mysteriously not come on). In both cases, the overflow onto the ground is a very good sign that something is wrong and you need to check it. Hiding the symptom with an overflow tank is not a good idea IMHO. You shouldn't need an expansion tank for your expansion tank!

That being saidm, your fabrication kicks @ss!

Birdman

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'm going to have to remember that one!!! ROFL

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yeah, good one Kermit!!

So the expansion for the expansion tank is a bit like a colostomy bag then.......

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Looks very nice but.....

my 328 has been spitting a bit of coolant in the last month or so - turned out to need nothing more than a new expansion tank cap. Problem solved.

I.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Believe me, I've bled the system so many times - yes, with the heater on - and engine fully warm, but, occasionally (I don't really care to count how few times it happens) it spits out.

I've always suspected it was the cap, or more correctly, the spout that the cap fits onto (I've already had to clean it up once before). But regardless, if it spits out, when it cools it siphons back in (just like what a modern car's cooling system does). No mess. That's what I want.

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Very nice Peter!

I always get people telling me something is hanging down in front, but it is only the ac drain hose. BTW Peter when you run out of stuff to do you can paint my 14" wheels! :)

Rob

Tell your Mom and Dad I said Hello, I will call you soon

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Sorry Peter, I really don't want to knock your great effort, but your system does not (or should not) syphon back into itself.

The std expansion tank will syphon as you say, but your cap on the std expansion tank leaks/blows by on the wrong side of the seal to syphon.

In the "old" days, cars had a cap on the radiator and no expansion tank... your tank would work well for them.

A rad cap tester is usually very easy to find, and I suggest you get your tested... just for curiosity if you like, as your tank certainly does no harm... it's just not really needed.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i agree with Phil, but damn thats a nice piece of work !! wow!

15. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Very nice job. What sort of paint did you use to get that finish?

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Peter,
    What kind of an expansion tank cap are you using?
    While the std cap on my car has the necessary upper & lower seals, doesn't look like it is set up to valve coolant back in thru the lower seal plate.

Phil,
    While I concurr that an expansion tank isn't needed with a correctly filled & bled system, many US tracks are anal about insisting on coolant catch/recovery tanks before they'll let the car on the track.

Kermit,
    The trick with wrinkle paint is several thick wet coats, each flashed per instr. on the can, then slow curing to let the wrinkle develop. The thicker the coats, the deeper & more pronounced the wrinkling.

I've been pretty happy with VHTs black wrinkle paint, avail. from Summit Racing & lots of other places. If you put it on over primer it'll peel in about a year(been there).

Found out from VHT's tech support that it's a self-etching/priming paint. Best sprayed over a 320-400 grit sanded surface.

Painted my cam covers a few years ago & they're still holding up, no sign of any chipping. Only thing about wrinkle is that it's a PITA to get completely clean. End up using a fine, extra soft toothbrush.

Nowdays, I usually use wrinkle powder coat because it's quick & cleanup is easy.

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    It's the four-ear 1.1bar cap I got through the dealer here. It does syphon back, in the lower plate, there is a centre disc that is spring loaded. If I grab it with my finger nails, I can pull it down. I've already seen this tank/system in action the last time I had the car out. It works.

FYI, it is painted with VHT wrinkle black and followed the directions, like what Verell described.