Looking to buy a 42" plasma under 2K | FerrariChat

Looking to buy a 42" plasma under 2K

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Sniper, Jul 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sniper

Sniper Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Hemet CA, 909
    Full Name:
    Madhav
  2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That sounds like a good deal, why not buy that one?

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    resolution is only 852x480

4. Silver Spider

Silver Spider Karting

May 5, 2005
    Bondi, Australia
    Full Name:
    Marianne
    What about getting a Panasonic Viera, Philips or Sony for a little bit more? The plasma on ebay looks like it could be a "no-name" rebadged one from somewhere like China.

Also remember when buying over the internet the owner may not have the original shipping box, so if the TV is unpacked improperly or tilted during shipping, it could end up ruining the display of the plasma.

Also watch out for screen burn on secondhand TVs.

By the way, I install plasmas and custom home theatre but only in New Zealand.

5. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's not a bad idea. There are a number of manufacturers putting out inexpensive plasma units today.

You should know that while the title says HDTV, that unit is not. It is what is called an EDTV (enhanced definition). While they don't have the same sharpness of the true HDTV's they offer a very good picture and one that would most likely be adequate for most viewers.

6. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    be careful of 'cheap' plasmas...you don't fix plasmas...your only choice is to replace it...I bought mine for $1800 but it doesn't have speakers....Akai...which is made on the same assembly line as Samsung...I have a 3 year ESP (extended service protection) from Circuit City on it so if it goes...I get a new one...paid $600 for the warranty. Mine is the EDTV though...but I can't tell the difference...

7. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I would not buying something like that on ebay. Go out to Best Buy, look at the tvs, pick one out you like in your price range, have it delivered to you in a week or what ever.

8. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In that price range I really like this LCD by Samsung. not sure if it is what you are looking for though....

Samsung 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN-R328W)

NET Product Brief (beta)
    Description: The Samsung LN-R328W is a 32-inch, flat television. Compared to other flat TVs on the market, it is relatively inexpensive at around $1,860. This flat-TV has an LCD display, which is generally the best kind of flat-panel screen for viewing in brightly-lit rooms.

Pros: Has a 3000:1 contrast ratio, which is somewhat higher than some similarly priced TVs. In fact, the typical cost of a product with this favorable a contrast ratio is $3,705. In addition, this TV has Picture-In-Picture, when connected to a VCR. With built-in HDTV compatibility, this TV set can display images that are significantly sharper and more realistic than regular television, as long as the source is high definition. (It can easily render standard-resolution digital TV broadcasts and also depict the full resolution of widescreen DVD video.) The 3:2 pulldown feature of this TV reduces artifacts that can occur when motion pictures are transferred to a digital format such as DVD.

Cons: None noted, given available product data.

Suitability: Suited for those who prefer a TV that is stylish and compact. In general, a wide aspect TV such as this one is well suited for DVD movies recorded in the popular 16:9 format, as well as high definition programming.

Value: In view of its relatively inexpensive price, this TV has good features for the money. In fact, you would typically pay around 35% more to get a flat TV having similar viewable size.

Suggestions: (1) Be sure to shop for an HDTV receiver if you want to watch digital programming. (2) Since this TV supports progressive scan video, you probably will want to have a progressive scan DVD player connected to it. This will produce a relatively more "flicker-free" picture, compared to what is produced with conventional DVD players and TVs. (3) For help in understanding the various types of TVs and their features, see David Katzmaier's TV buying guide at CNET Reviews.

9. Sniper

Sniper Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Hemet CA, 909
    Full Name:
    Madhav
    Thank you all for the info. I was thinking to simply go to a place like best buy, find what i was looking for and go online and hunt for a better price. But yes, i was worriied that this expencive unit might be damaged in shipping. Ill be sure to get an HD TV and not just a ED. the Samsung looks good but it may be a bit too small. I suppose the best way to find the right side is to just go look at it.

Are LCDs and thiner then plasma?

10. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Do you have a Sam's Wholesale or a Costco where you live? I was just at Sam's today and they had several in the $2000 range.

11. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    A friend of mine is a dealer for Panasonic plasmas, and can get the 42" SD units for $1800 and the HD units for $2800. These are the professional models, and can have extra cards added in for additional inputs, touchscreen and PC CPU. PM me if interested.

12. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    Sams would be my choice for what you're looking for, several great models up to $2300. I have a 50" Fujitsu and a 42" Fujitsu in my living room and bedroom, true HDTV and you can only tell a difference if side by side to an EDTV model. There are also some very nice DLP models out there, have you looked into that? I am not a big fan of LCD since my buddies brand new TV was "blocky".

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I bought two plasma TVs a while back, a 42($4k) and 50($5k) , I did a lot of research and went with the Pioneer Elite series with 'deep-cell' technology. They are both HD without speakers because I wanted to use the Bose Lifestyle systems. I am well pleased and don't know why I waited so long to buy. I mounted the 42 inch on the wall over the fireplace in the master bedroom and the 50 inch in a disappearing cabinet I bought from www.greatpricedfurniture.com/products/51235725.html