550 tubi exhaust question | FerrariChat

550 tubi exhaust question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by george001, Jul 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. george001

george001 Rookie

Jan 2, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    George Horioka
    Anyone have experience with the tubi exhaust straight pipe vs. tubi with muffler. Changing my stock 550 exhaust and wondered how the straight pipe vs. muffler on 550 sounds. All relative I know, but is straight pipe too loud? Any feedback appreciated.

2. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I put tubi's on my 2000, 550. Stock exhaust was just too quiet. I liked the change from stock but was at first a bit shocked by the much louder exhaust. At idle and lower rpm's it's quite a bit louder with a bit more rumble than I'd like. At higher rpm's the tubi's quiet down to almost stock volume so this didn't give me the sound I expected. Six months later I changed out my center mufflers with a stebro x-pipe (approx. $ 600). This didn't increase the sound level much ...if at all. But it did make a big difference to the overall tone. It went from more of a low rumble to a snarly, sharper higher pitched V-12 sound. And the sound level is now more consistant throughout the whole rpm range. To me, adding the x-pipe is the only way to go. I have wondered what would happen if I put the stock rear mufflers back on, leaving only the x-pipe. If you're considering this combination, you might want to start with the x-pipe since this is the cheapest componet .... and if you don't think it's improved enough ... then add the tubi's. I really like the way my 550 sounds now ..... but I also like screaming through tunnels and being heard.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I posted a short video here which gives a slight idea how loud post-2002 Tubi mufflers are. More would be OTT IMO, but it's a matter of personal taste and also local social conventions.
    In comparison, here is another link to a video with straight pipes.

The wise guys would probably say that starting with Tubi mufflers is the safe way to go. If you want more, then fooling around with the central resonnator is a better second stage, as it is said to boost performance too.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you have an FTP link...I will upload an mpeg of my 550 W/Tubi and Tubi X-Pipe.

PM me through the board if you'd like :)

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I'd go with just the centre pipes, leaving the stock rear boxes. The Tubi's are over priced and the low rpm boom is uncomfortable on the ears.

If the centre pipe is still not loud enough for you (it will be for most), then maybe lock open your stock rear box bypass valves, and if THAT is still too quiet, THEN go for some rear boxes from any number of sources.

Tubi make excellent quality parts, but there are options too.

The rear boxes also do nothing at all for performance (not that that's a big deal as performance is "adequate"), but the centre pipe section is very restrictive. I put sports air filters and my own version siamese merge centre section on 550's (total cost less than half the rear box mod) and had a customer (fchatter stephens) report 541 BHP on his dyno, after checking 486 BHP before any changes.

The centre pipe change also removes significant heat from under the centre console of the car.

6. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #6 F456 V12, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also put an )( pipe on my 456GT in combination with the removal of the OEM exhaust boxes. Tubi makes an option called "tube only" or you can easily make them if you are a bit crafty.

The sound of the car is fantastic and not too loud in my opinion. At idle, a bit louder, but around town no real difference. Once you get on the throttle at about 4K RPM, big difference. PM and I will send you a sound file.

MB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Speedball: are you getting resonance at 2k rpm? With the tubi and the cargraphic (which, IMO, sounds much better than my tubi. i've put the tubi in the closet), I am getting a bad resonance at 2k rpm, and it's audibly painful with the windows up.

I have considered making a straight pipe to replace the x-pipe, in a fashion similar to the HGTC setup - it's basically a straight pipe for each bank, and they don't meet. I have to find out if this will affect back-pressure at all, as JC pointed out.

The car, in current form (stebro + cg) is pretty loud. it sounds GREAT outside the car, inside the car it sounds pretty good but i'm addicted to the last 2k rpm especially. Above 4k is when it really comes alive.

I'll post results once I have it done. I'm out of the country until mid-august, so I'll try to have something made up before monterey.

--Dan

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    BTW, keeping the stock mufflers is not a good idea. Personally I would try out a few if you can.

The CG exhaust is straight-through with a lot of muffling around it. THe tubi is baffled pretty well, without a lot of insulation. THe HGTC setup is like a VERY small tubi. it's amazingly simple, barely baffled at all. Personally, it still hasn't got the tonality of the CG, but the stebro has messed up that glorious CG tone as it is.

--Dan

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    My friend had a full tubi on his 550 and it would scream above 5000 rpms. Seriously the shriek was just plain awesome.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I second the call for a center-pipe. A local owner here in NC had the 550 with full Tubi (incl. center pipe). The sound was apocalyptic -- really.

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    George...

You've got mail.

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Anybody have any idea what I can/should do with 575? I added Tubi's, and I like the low rumble now, but at high RPM I'd like more wail. Will x-pipe do that for me?? Will it also add HP?

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yes, but the part is different to a 550 one.

14. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson

I have the newer tubi's that don't have this problem ..... basically the only resonance I experience is at idle ..... and maybe it's not really resonance ... just a much louder rumbling sound ....

I like my set up .... my only complaint is when when I stuck in line at a driveup window, etc., it's a lot louder than I'd perfer, especially when sitting right next to a building .......

15. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    This is exactly what I experienced on 550 ... adding the x-pipe made all the difference ... I don't know how the exhaust is set up on 575's ..... but will assume there's little difference to a 550, so an x-pipe should give you the sound you're looking for.

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Does it affect emissions? In Nevada we smog every year.

17. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The x pipe and tubi are the way to go, it's what a V12 ferrari is supposed to sound like. I have the stebro and was very disappointed with the finish,I had to have it modified so that it would fit. Although expensive, the Tubi is SS and I think better for resale value....so that gets my vote. If you want a quiet car get a lexus.

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

I'm confused, you have both the stebro and tubi center pipes, and found the tubi sounded better? I haven't futzed with the center pipe yet to change the exhaust note beyond hte installation of a stebro. My next test will be individual "tubes' for each bank that will not "cross."

--Dan

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Mine passed with flying colors!

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Dan
    This will probably hurt performance. My earlier model tubi's only resonate just offidle. They are fine at 2000rpm, but I found mountng of the mufflercritical. IF you vary the amount the muffler protrudes nfrom the rear of the car it changes the resonance.

21. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Do let us know what straight pipes sound like .....

Regarding smog testing ...... shouldn't affect this at all ... because the cats and all smog equipment is intact and stock.

22. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    My mistake on the center pipes, I was told that tubi makes it's own "X pipe". Is that not the case? The center pipes, plus tubi (x pipe delete) must be insane.

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Stephen,

As always you shine through. I think you might be on to something. My mufflers stick out at least 1.5 inches too far, as I think that's how they best fit. Not sure if the stebro was too long (it seemed to fit just fine). I'll take a look at this and see fi I can modify the mount to fit "back in" when I get back. Might require cutting the tips off the stebro or the flanges. For reference, do you mind meauring how far out your exhaust tips are sticking?

Also - do you think running a non-cross pipe (ie one pipe per bank not meeting) will affect backpressure? Ze_shark brought up the idea that perhaps the ocmputer needs the airflow to cross in order to get proper back-pressure and airflow? I have never looked at the stock pipe to see if it too crosses. If one were to do separate pipes for each bank, does it make sense ot keep them entirely separate or have them join in the middle physically, just not allow the airflow to cross?

Speedball: I am not runnign straight pipes. I am keepin gthe cats, precats, etc. That would be insanely loud and totally out of character for a maranello.

--Dan

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    MG: Scot is right, there is no affect to smogability as all of the mods are after the cats (but before the dogs!). Even in current setup, my car passes the new super-stringent CA dyno-based smog tests w/o issue.

--Dan

25. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No probs with the measurement. Discovered this when Phil mounted mufflers to different lengths, you could hear one resonating significantly more than the other!
    I read a good book on exhaust design. Bottom line no back pressure is good, which was shown by running different exhaust systems on a motor with various amounts of backpressure and showing the dynographs. What was demonstrated was that while a motor may need to be tuned properly to adjust for the lack of back pressure (remember our ECU's are adaptive so do this automatically), backpressure does not help torque. This was one of the "popular myths" the author was trying to dispel.

As to the "crossover" pipe, this does not cause back pressure, it aids scavenging, which is how it helps with power.

I may be a week with the exhaust measurement, my clutch self destructed at a track day yesterday and the car had to be to the workshop on a flat bed truck, so I will miss my next track day this weekend. It's a good excuse to upgrade the clutch and lighten the flywheel though!
    My quicksilver test pipes have also arrived from the UK, so hopefully I can get it fixede and on the dyno before a double header trackday on the weekend of the 30th of this month.