Silicone and plastics | FerrariChat

Silicone and plastics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Marcus 27, Jul 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I'm about to buy a 355 but I'm concerned that the dealer, a UK Ferrari agent, has used silicone products on the dashboard. They have actually admitted this - they say that they regularly use silicone cleaners and haven't had any problems.

They only seem to have used it on the instrument binacle cover, but I'm very concerned that if any has got onto the plastics it could start dissolving them - see attached thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59424&highlight=silicone

Does anyone know how long it would take for the plastics to start peeling after the use of silicone?

Has Ferrari ever issued a technical bulletin advising against the use of silicone?

I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't want to pull out of the purchase because the car's a rare colour that I really like. I suppose I could ask them to guarantee to replace any plastics that go gooey in the next 12 months - not sure that they'd do that though.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Silicone polymers, typically used in vinyl & rubber "protectants", are not cleaners. They make the substrate to which they are applied shiny. That's it. The commonly used viscosities used to formulate the emulsions known as Armorall and the like, will not act as solvents. In order to have solvent-like activity you would have to use a silicone fluid lower in viscosity than 20 cst. Due to cost and the fact that no additional benefit is offered, no-one is using a viscosity < 50 cst.

However (there's always a "however"), Certain plastics will be stiffened and will craze upon exposure to common silicone fluids. But this is primarily due to the silicone causing the plasticizers in the plastic to leach out causing the plastic to become brittle, certainly not to "melt" and become gummy.

One basic fact is that silicone has a great affinity for silicone. Therefore, if a silicone fluid comes in contact with a surface that has been coated with a silicone resin, rubber, etc. it will be absorbed and make a "gummy" mess, but not cause "melting". If a supplier of automotive interior substrates is using a silicone for treating the surface, you would think they or the auto manufacturer would warn against using something as common as Armorall or similar products.

One last point, many professional detail shops, car washes, etc. use silicone tire dressings made with silicone fluid and a solvent such as mineral spirits. If something of this type, rather than a water-based emulsion such as Armorall, is used on the interior, you will most probably end up damaging some surfaces. But this is due to the solvent, not the silicone.

I sincerely hope that I managed to add to the confusion. <G>

Tom

3. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Tom, thanks for the info, but I'm not sure if it's quite what I need to know, which is: could the use of this silicone stuff cause peeling or bubbling of the plastics on the dashboard in the future, or would any damage be virtually instant?

The background to this is that I've seen a lot of 355s with peeling or bubbling interior plastics. According to other threads these plastics contain silicone(which gives them the soft feel) and using silicone products effectively dissolves/softens the surface, which causes the problems.

On 'my' 355 the leather covering the instrument binacle has gone shinier than normal (not very shiny though). I'm not sure excactly what product they used on it but the salesman said it contained silicone.

4. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Tom, re-reading your post, it looks like you're saying the concentration of silicone in Armorall etc isn't high enough to cause problems with the plastics. And if it was high enough to cause a problem, it would be apparent immediately.

Is that what you're saying?

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    If the plastic was of a type affected by silicone, The problem would show up fairly quickly. Additionally, were the plastic being attacked by the silicone the effect would be embrittlement and crazing. Fairly easy to see.

Tom