Crystal Cove, Message From NBPD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crystal Cove, Message From NBPD

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Marc G, Jul 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derek a

derek a Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    CA OR
    Full Name:
    Derek
    How about Fashion Island?

2. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Another good possibility. I've never attended a CC event either, but I'm kinda curious who "runs" these meets to speak? Could he/she call around various locations to find a place that would welcome us?

3. Sideways

Sideways Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    I have been on this board for a while and attend Crystal Cove meets frequently.

I am astounded by the efforts of some who never attended to get the venue changed.

I am also wondering why all the bias against Japanese cars. This is a car enthusiast and performance car meet. Several local Ferrari owners drive Japanese cars. There is one owner that attends Crystal Cove regularly who has 14 (yes, fourteen) Ferraris in his scudera and he drives his Honda to Crystal Cove. Another big name in Ferrari circles arrives in his S2000 on occasion.

If a "ricer" shows up, don't be narrow minded and learn to accept it. That is if you attend.

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ricers is a poor term. I don't think people bat an eye at an NSX or a Skyline, but when a "run of the mill" S2000 or Mini shows up, I think that's where the thought of 'generic' rather than 'limited or exotic' has a negative connotation. Regardless, they're car enthusaists too.

However, what I think is in poor taste is when the local Lamborghini dealer drags down 6 or 7 cars with window stickers rather than the owners themselves showing up. One car is okay, maybe even two cars. But it's always overkill.

5. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul

I don't go to cc to see a Honda,and I don't think anyone from this site wants to.I don't park my wifes yukon in the "show" parking lot. How many spots are lost by an enthusiasts cool WXR,EVO,or stock 2005 mustang? Crystal Cove is for cars that 99% of enthusiasts can't own.I think thats the whole point of the show at Crystal Cove. Do you stop and look at a S2000 in the parking lot at captan cream's? No! How about a 275 GTB?

6. Sideways

Sideways Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    The S2000s that do show are not "run of the mill" but rather very high performance individualized machines.

Dealers, for sales , detailing, trailers, and a host of other things are all forbidden by Crystal Cove management. The rules are only lightly enforced.

What about the guy with boat for sale showing up? Definately out of place.

7. Sideways

Sideways Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Crystal Cove is not about this site. Persons from this site do attend Crystal Cove.

8. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    1. Block off the show area, as is presently done. Count the spaces.
    2. All those wishing to be in the show, arrive and park in the CC lot
    to the south of the show spaces.
    3. Who ever the powers-to-be are, hand out entry slips to the xxx number of most desirable cars, which get to enter the show parking spaces at 7am. That will eliminate 3 Jaguar dealer sedans, 7 dealer Lambo cars and the great unwashed.
    4. Hand a form letter to all those using the event for commercial purposes, politely suggesting this is not the proper venue to hawk their wares. One guy appeared to be selling a vitamin supplement out of a Prius recently.

If the venue changes, I recommend the large Fashion Island parking area adjacent to CoCo's. Coffee, bakery, restaurant and bathrooms all available. That would take 10-15 minutes off the driving time from both PCH and Fwy 405 arrivals. It's still the Irvine Company, but that area should not have any 6:30 am noise issues, plus the ingress, egress situation is simple. There would be no staging requirement prior to entering the show area. Just leave the first three rows next to Coco's for the regular breakfast goers.

9. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #34 carless, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Do you go to see a honda? Crystal Cove is one of the most costly areas in californa, so I think its safe to bet the most costly cars on the market will be there. I am not there to just see F cars, but i don't want to get up at dark thirty to see run of the mill cars. Next time there is no space for a Bugatti royal or a D-type or even Dan Gurney you stand up for this guy.:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    The beauty of CC is that ALL sorts of classic/sports/touring cars show up. So, if you don't want to see that 447hp S2000, keep on walking until something else catches your eye. It isn't always about the cars either, it's also about the people. You'll find some of the most interesting and knowledgeable guys out there running some unique cars. Honestly, I get just as bored looking at a run of the mill 360 as you might an S2000. Still love 360's especially the Stradale but as some of you pointed out, it's the unique factor that is interesting. Guys like Sideways, Jet-X & Claudio, Rick & his F40, etc...even the guy with a super clean bugeye sprite get my respect and attention because these are the true auto enthusiasts.

What does bother me is the careless person who shows up and spills coffee on the car or dings up another person's door without any regard. Show up...enjoy the scenery, meet some interesting people and call it a day.

11. zoomtt

zoomtt Karting

Jun 19, 2005
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Edsel Labao

Well said :)

12. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul

13. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Yup, in fact...it's Sideways.

Having a car (let alone a nice one) doesn't make one a car enthusiast. I think we all agree that we'd like to see things that are different to us. What's unique and interesting to you may be mundane to someone else. I'll drive 60 miles each way to enjoy the show, but that's just me.

Neither do I. :D

14. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I just want to write down my thoughts. Please take them as my opinion and nothing more or less.

Those of you trying to move the CC meet - if you honestly believe that the location of Crystal Cove, including the views, the shopping center itself, and most importantly, the demographics of the surrounding neighborhoods, has NOTHING to do with this show being as special and successful as it has been, then I believe you are truly mistaken.
    The surrounding area of Newport Beach and Laguna Beach is highly saturated with exotic cars and their happy owners. Cruising the 5-15 minutes down to CC for coffee and friendly get together has been convenient, and changing the location (IF that power is even in the hands of a few anymore...I doubt it) would eliminate the popularity among many non-Fchat owners.

Also, the show became special BECAUSE of the exotics. There are areas outside of Southern California, some people on this forum even live in those areas, where for whatever reason, Ferraris are few and far between. You cannot lose sight of the fact that these cars are rare. Do not forget, all of Southern California is not like Newport or Beverly Hills, either. People came to this show because of the idea of a substantial number of exotic cars and their owners meeting together at a scenic, almost dreamlike environment at Crystal Cove - an idea that is almost unreal. The crowds have swelled because of the chance to catch a glimpse of this lifestyle and this spectacular event. Unfortunately, with the crowds comes people who like to ruin things or spoil the fun. Last weekend, I came late, but noticed that the traditional Ferrari parking area, and in fact the row across from it as well, had been taken over by a Volvo station wagon club. Now, I have nothing against Volvo station wagons, but I really don't feel like getting up early on Saturday morning to see that. I have NO problem with non-exotic cars such as the S2000 or BMW M3 or you name it taking up a slot. However, when people bring cars that are decidedly NOT show cars and put them in the middle of the exotics, it really detracts from the fun of the event.

All of that said, there are a couple of sad realities: The size of this event has gotten out of control. There are simply too many people. The event has become a tourist attraction for people from near and far, and it's brimming over. My friend and I enjoy taking pictures of the cars, along with some HD video footage to compile and edit at a later date. No longer is it easy to do so. The show is also changing. For one thing, I recall a time when the owners would stick around for awhile, sometimes until 9:30 or even 10, talking and enjoying the cars. With the immense crowds now, it seems most of the owners that have been around for awhile leave considerably before 9. The number of exotics is also appears to be decreasing.

To me, it seems that the show is deteriorating under the weight of its own reputation. The crowds have come, and typically they are ruder, less knowledgable, and less pleasant to speak with. It's nearly impossible to take good pictures of cars leaving on PCH because of the amount of people standing next to the road, most of them goading the drivers to do burnouts and other maneuvers sure to spell out the end to this lovely show. I agree with NBPD that it's probably not the best idea for cars to be blocking entire lanes of PCH. Rather not see some sleepy driver hit one of our Fchat friends who's waiting for a prime-time parking spot. I am hoping that the crowds die down some, at LEAST by the time summer ends, and that CC can be if only a little bit bigger version of what it once was.

I apologize that my writing is not more clear and organized as I would rather it be - it is late and I am tired. However, I felt compelled to post because I see things written that don't take into account how special this show really is. I love the show at Crystal Cove, I love the pictures that are taken on here, and I love the experience. I am saddened that the show is changing, and I am sincerely hoping that we can work with the obstacles presented continue this wonderful show.

15. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    elsupremo, good point. We should all discuss it at lunch on Thursday.

**********I think the lower atrium food court parking lot would maybe be a possibility???? And people who don't have a car they are trying to show can park above (where 24hour people usually park) and walk down the stairs.???????

ANY COMMENTS?

16. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    elsup; I think (we) Newport Beach locals are well represented in this thread. Yeah the neighborhood is special, the concentration of things people want to see is right here, and it is a very special place. Ferrari makes what, 5000 cars a year, they pump out ford mustangs about that many a week.

silver; yeah a victim of its own success, come rainy february days, and only the die hards are there.

I am sure we are all thinking of alternate places to go, like say Main st. Seal Beach is neat, but a stretch for our south county friends, the Spectrum has equal or worse problems than cc, Fashion Island is nice but it is still just a big parking lot, and a trek to get a cup of coffee. I'd hate to say get closer to the sand on Balboa peninsula next to the pier. I used to go cycling up and down PCH from Newport the the LB convention center, to the Ritz Carlton and back to Newport 5 days a week. I have seen it all. CC is still a better location even if the parking is limited and we get a little grief from RACs and NBPD. There is still plenty to see.

18. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    CC started as a meeting of Classics, Collectables and Exotics. As nice as a 400hp S2000 or late model stock Mini with it's hood up or Chrysler 300 or new model Mustang ..... is, they just don't quite fit in the original theme, although they do attract a typical yahoo who needs to show another yahoo how loud his new exhaust is. At one time, I thought the early hour for the meet would be too much for the yahoo (they normally don't get up until noon). This is not a slam at the owners of such cars, but more towards the fan base (the newsstand can explain where I'm coming from).

But hey .... it's a free country ;)

G

owner of an invisible GT2 :D

19. REDMONGOOSE

REDMONGOOSE Rookie

Jul 16, 2005
    newport beach CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Hamilton
    what about changing the location?

Mark

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    have you actually read this thread?

21. zoomtt

zoomtt Karting

Jun 19, 2005
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Edsel Labao
    :D

22. Lt1corvette

Lt1corvette Guest

Jun 19, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dowd
    What ever happens, it will never be the same. I am not a fan of cops and was bothered by their increasing numbers. Now, I hope they scare off some of the non diehards. As winter falls, I think it will go back to normal a bit. Until then, hopefully we can make it better.

23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I think CC is a great spot, but can someone explain what is the atraction of parking in the main lot? Why not have all Ferrari's park down by Trader Joes about 8 ish? Coffee is still hot, plenty of spots, no waiting in the dark. I don't get the need to be in the "cool" section. Drive and they will come look anyway. What's the real appeal to you early birds?

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I agree cause I hate waking up early.... my .2cents

25. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    as much as i love that V12 on full song, i dont think i like hearing it 7 in the morning in my sleep. I would bet 70% of the cars and people at the CC event are tourists who dont live anywhere near crystal cove or newport. So, cops are just trying to tone this down which in all fairness, its just their job to maintain the peace, right?