Hotel recommendations in Lime Rock? | FerrariChat

Hotel recommendations in Lime Rock?

Discussion in 'New England' started by jet190rs, Jul 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    I'm doing a Skip Barber class next month and need a place to crash, nothing fancy. I've seen the Interlaken and stayed at the Wake Robin before, and frankly, I think they're way overpriced. $130 a night for what you get there is pretty ridiculous.

I would assume that there must be something less than $100 in one of the small towns close to the track?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Torrington is less than 25 minutes from the track, its a sleazy little town but its got lots of low $ hotels.

Litchfield is nicer than Torrington & still not too far from the track, maybe more $

3. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    If you are willing to travel about 20 min. to Great Barrington, Ma. there is a new Comfort Inn and a Holiday Inn across the street from eachother on Rt. 7. Nearby will be a Friendly's, a McD's, and a pizza/italian restaurant.

(Woo Hoo, my first post !)

4. chrisoutzen

chrisoutzen Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    sudbury
  5. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex

Great Barrington is incredible, and has a far better selection of restaraunts than Freindly's and McD's! Railroad Street is packed with the best dining in the area. There are also lots of cool shops to check out.

6. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Oh, I agree completely, was just using them as reference points for the hotel.

7. HarFerrari

HarFerrari Karting

May 27, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Isaiah Harf
    I went to Prep School around Great Barrington (The Berkshire School) - I would say best bet is a nice Bed and Breakfast in that area - that's where my parents always stayed when visiting

Isaiah

8. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    B&Bs aren't very private are they..? Dont you have to share a bathroom..?

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Did you go yet? If so, how was it. Will be attending their 3 day class from July 25 through 27th. Would enjoy hearing your impression of S.B. school at Lime Rock.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I did SB a month ago. Learnt so much its still being absorbed. Bottom line learnt how little I know and just how much there is do do if youre going to do it right. The class is challenging mentaly and plenty fun. How many times in your life have you had people pushing you to go faster in a car. Berst part this is not some sanitised neutered event.

Steve I guess youre going to be at the club event afterwards

11. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Just a suggestion - there is so much info being presented during the school, it might be very helpful if one reviewed the Skip Barber book and/or video beforehand, if only to acquaint yourself with the concepts they're teaching. That way, when they discuss topics in the classroom, it's not completely foreign.

vty,

--Dennis

12. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    Not yet, I'm doing the advanced 2 day class in Aug. I did the 3 day class last fall and it was great. Learned how to double clutch, threshold braking w/o abs, racing lines, etc. The thing that stuck in my mind the most was how raw the race car is. Its like driving a roller coaster!

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Most excellent. EXACTLY what i am looking for. FYI for Dennis, while i have read MANY book, have not read SB's. Plan top get it when i am there, though maybe i will buy it today and read it. Yes, that sounds like a beter plan. MANY thanks for the heads up :)

Yes and hope to see you there! Have never driven Lime Rock though have seen quite a few races there... Well, one COULD say i am ALMOST cheating as due to SB i will have personal experience to better know the track, the lines... and have an idea for setting up the 308's adjustable suspension and tire pressure for bouncy Lime Rock.

Of course the only REAL way of KNOWING is to drive the car on the track and tune her, though it would be nice to have a ballpark idea. Will be begging the SB guys to give her a ride and lemme know what they feel she needs done.

And if this is my worst 'problem' in life right now... :)

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Steven:

A great way to set up your car is to spend a day at one of LRP's "Testing and Tuning" sessions. For $250 you get access to the track for the day and can do as many laps as you want, giving you plenty of time to try different settings and find the best combination for that track.

The next one is August 2, which fits nicely after your SB school. They require a current license from a variety of racing organizations or graduation within the previous 12 months from several 3 day racing schools, including The Skippy School.

You'll need a full suit and helmet to particpate and will need competition belts in the car.

As you can imagine, you could be on the track at the same time with a VERY wide range of machinery.

http://www.limerock.com/trackinfo_tuning.htm

John

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many thanks for the heads up! Alas, the car does not have proper roll bars, proper tow bar, and electrical cut off switch so i may fail the tech inspection at she sits today. i plan to sort this all out this winter. Have a suit/helmet/belts, etc. LRP is a bit of a drive for me, though Louden (NHIS) is close and on Thursday's they have the same type of drive scenario. And yes, i realize the 308 is a DOG compared to the other cars that will be on the track. Still... it will be nice to be able to drive the car at speed without worry from the 'Blue Light Special.'

Again, MANY thanks for the heads up. Hope to have the car fully tech ready for 'proper' track drives come spring 2006 :) FCA events means a lower qualification for tech inspection...