WRX why all the hype? | FerrariChat

WRX why all the hype?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mojo, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I sure here a lot about these, and I dont know why.
    225hp all wheel drive, can't be that great can they?
    Does anyone here own one? can you enlighten me to why everyone loves them. They don't look bad, But I have never drove one.

2. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I never owned one but heard that they got bad reviews and were quite underrated.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They definately have more than the 225hp that subaru says. They are quite fast, and easy to make faster thanks to the turbo. They are a performance bargain too, costing in the mid 20's. They arent the most comfortable cars though. The comfort issue is why I would rather spend some more cash on a used S4, which can be had for high 20's to low 30's for one with average milage on it. You could argue that they are not the same class of car though (they arent).

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually yes, they can be that great. it is a fabulous car for what it is, and handles damn well for it too. you should at least test drive one to see what it is like instead of writing it off because it is in the sub-300hp/sub-$30K range.

Here's an impression from a friend of mine, who, this past weekend drove them back to back. He's an instructor for The Drivers Edge here in Texas.

5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Well, it's a relatively inexpensive fast car with four doors and a trunk, it's safe (AWD), and it's easy to make big power upgrades for little money since it is turbo.

Without getting into hard, tangible numbers the simplest way to put it is that it dips into pretty much every interest category imaginable for a middle-class car buyer.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    One of the reasons you're hearing so much about the "plain" WRX is that the STi and EVO have eaten into their sales, and Subaru has set up incentive financing and put on the advertizing pressure. (Officially, an STi is a WRX, so that's why they're quoting the STi's 0-60 numbers on the WRX ads.)

I picked up an EVO as a "winter rat", and I can tell you that it's very impressive for a four door sedan. Once the turbo spools up, it out accelerates the 328, it gives little away in handling, and (with AWD) turn-in rotation is more pronounced. And with 14" front rotors and big Brembos, the EVO stops from 60 shorter than an Enzo.

But the EVO has 273 HP on 19psi boost, compared to an "honest" 260 from the 328, the EVO has 235/45-17 Yokos, compared to 205/55,225/50-16's on the 328.

It's like the difference between an F-104 Starfighter and an F-4 Phantom II: One is a thing of grace and beauty, the other is proof that even a pig will fly, if you stick a couple of honkin big afterburners up its butt. ;)

If you're worried about that "2Fat2Furryarse" nonsense -- Hey, movies are fiction.

The EVO/STi/WRX are impressive cars when new. My 328 is 15 years old, and still impressive. I don't expect to have the EVO for 15 years.

Yes, the bleacher bench wing is a bit much. But it works (and the car needs it -- the Lancer shell did start life as an econobox).

(Elvis mode): Thankyouverrrymuch. ;)

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    well said DGS, give me an old 308 series or a 70 to 73 Z28 or trans am. i have had MR2 'S supras, RX7's and got rid of them after a year or so. yea someone with a civic and $$$$ can blow any of my favs away but they still have a civic. nobody is going to loose sleep trying to get a 20 year old Jap whatever but fcars and the like will always be objects of desire for enthusiasts and collectors. a fast well done car is just that. but i dont know what the hell is up with these people and the over the top crap they put on cars that do nothing. i picked up a 77 bandit 4 speed trans am from some kid because he had a chevy s10 truck and was trying to put a turbo on the 4 cyl engine and was having "problems". these new wonder jap cars fill in a need for people that need a daily driver thats fun and flexable without all the hassles of "old car" ownership. when i get my old 308 i will not loose any sleep.

8. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    QUOTE: "Well, it's a relatively inexpensive fast car with four doors and a trunk, it's safe (AWD), and it's easy to make big power upgrades for little money since it is turbo.

Without getting into hard, tangible numbers the simplest way to put it is that it dips into pretty much every interest category imaginable for a middle-class car buyer."

Hit the nail on the head. Its not that great of a car, but FOR THE MONEY its a lot of bang for the buck.

9. Gtrallyracer

Gtrallyracer Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I happen to own two imprezas and they are the best bang for the buck! A subaru sti is a bascially a car designed for Group N rally class.... Group N is a stock class with just safety equip and suspension/body protection.......everything else needs to remain stock... Thats why they come with forged control arms and when useing the handbrake the rear diff disables and it becomes front wheel drive... The US sti costs around 32,400 ............It comes with 300 horsepower and 300 pounds of torque at 4,000 rpm..........all coming out of a 2.5 liter 4 motor boosting 141/2 psi ..........the motor is forged and has sodium filled exaust valves ..........the car has almost no turbo lag because of the vvt before the turbo ..........the gear box on this car is a 6 speed close ratio group n racing transmission.......... it has a 35/65 power split and you can adjust it to 50/50 and actually lock the diffs .......... You have a limited slip in the front /electronic center diff/ and a limited slip in the rear ............the wheels are 17 inch bbs wheels forged and weigh 16 pounds.... they come with 4 piston brembo brakes and the struts are inverted...............Subarus are reliable and their parts are very cheap! The awd is flawless and for 32,400 the car is a steal! A sti in the Uk is about 47,000 US

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Also I would like to add a certain rally impreza was seen at EDP Racing at TWS. The amazing thing was that with only 200hp & 2800 lbs vechicle wieight, it was out handling a Honda S2000, Ferrari 355B, plus BMW M3's on the road course. It didn't do so well on the straight-a-away but it sure made up for it on the road course. I would own one in a heartbeat. These cars are really are great value.

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    We have a WRX wagon/hatchback that we use as our "errand" car and snow slogger here in NY. The thing is a hoot to drive, never boring, is utterly reliable, practical, works well in extreme conditions, and for little more than 20k out of the box, you get alot of car for the money. It is not a prestige ride, nor is the most comfortable for long distance cruising. But, what it does, it does extremely well, and it is the rare car that has such a complete combination of outright performance and practicality.It is also susceptible to numerous aftermarket mods, and can be made to perform at quite a high level for little additional money. See also, STi.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just bought a 'regular' WRX this summer. Well, basically it gives the handling and performance of a $40k 330xi for under $24k (you can get them easily for invoice), with plenty standard incl. all power CD changer etc. The only thing wanting was leather which unfortunately wasn't an option (the '04 seats are nice waffle pattern nylon dri-fit stuff though), and perhaps the stock all-seasons tires. In fact the steering is even a little less hydraulic than the BMW I drove. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior, but it's decent (the '04 headlights are much nicer than the previous years' IMO).

I was also considering '00 Boxsters and even Mondials but needed four seats (only car - need winter ability).

It is light (under 3100lbs) and when the turbo kicks in they take off. The different magazines got 0-60's between 5.4 and 5.9 seconds. Although I didn't buy it to modify it, the stock boost is low pressure and there are several companies that can reflash the ECU for a few hundred and get 265hp on an otherwise stock car. After that high flow exhaust can get you up to 280hp and 5 second 0-60, and there's plenty you can do from there.

There's nothing else really in the low/mid 20's that can match the fun drive, especially with the winter-dominating AWD. I suggest taking one for a spin, and push it hard to redline in 2nd and 3rd and see if you're grinning or not. That's what sold me.

(BTW, I've read in several places that the $32k STi is the best performer this side of a 996TT)

13. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Friend of mine just picked up an STi over the weekend as his daily beater. Traded in a well-used '91 Miata worth (maybe) $3000. Out of pocket was $26k so he got about $2k off MSRP. I don't think they're selling all that well, at least on the East coast. The kids that go so crazy over them can't afford them and those who can are turned off by the over-the-top styling IMHO.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    So did you ever try one, Mojo?

15. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    I think they're great cars. I hear nothing but good reviews about STI's. They're fast, they have rally heritage and they're cheap, making them big bang for the buck; I just wish it had better looks. I don't know about "bulletproof-ness" of the engine and how well it responds to performance mods though so a stock STI would def be enough for me.

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Buy and old ///M5 or ///M6 and save the difference for maintaince. You will have more fun unless you worry about snow.

17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I remember reading this thread when it first came out. Nice memory there Ryan!

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    A friend of mine let me flog on his WRX a couple weeks ago, it was alot of fun! The car was twitchier than I expected, but I think that had more to do with the roads I was driving (crappy) and the fact that it was AWD, which I am definitely not used to. Turbo lag was negligent, and it was super quick.

If I had to replace my current daily driver (truck) tomorrow, I would give the WRX a good, long look!

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I have a WRX wagon

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The STI is a great car, but very very very expensive in Canada. 47k starting Canadian. For 50k you can buy alot of other cars

21. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    WRX is a great car for the money. Two years ago I drove it up the NY State Thruway through a wicked snowstorm. A bunch of cars and trucks landed up in the ditch. The WRX held the road just fine.

I made it up to Lake Champlain in one piece and drove my scooby a mile or two out onto the ice to set up and race my E Skeeter.

http://www.iceboat.org/images/03-04/isa/Burlington-3-2004-049.jpg

After, the 3 day regatta, I drove the WRX on the Northway at 120 mph for 40 minutes straight. It didn't take long to get back to the City.

A used WRX is the best bang for the buck....period.

22. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I feel like i have to comment, but i have no real comment to give here.

All i can say is that ive owned various Subaru's over the years. Including a factory special. I currently drive 3 Subaru's.

I think ive owned around 7 over the past years. Not one problem with any of them.

Super quick. Super reliable. Good bang for your buck, which is always good.

Im a fan.

23. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    They're cheap performance cars that have giant-killing ability.

The fact that they've got good motorsport heritage helps too. In certain markets, like the crowded and narrow roads in Japan or the UK, they make a lot of sense, and now they're catching on in the US.

I will admit to being a little biased, we recently bought a 92x, which is an Impreza turbo with a nicer looking nose and cheaper too. For about $20k it's a great little package.

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I have to say...the engine isn't *that* modable. Certainly not by Japanese or American standards.

AWD at the price point and "decent" handling are impressive though.

If you are looking for out and out speed.....EVO>STi and day of the week though. Straightline or track performance the EVO is extremely impressive.

25. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I have had my 04 WRX for about 14 months and I have to say that I am really happy with it. I haven't had one single problem and it is a lot of fun to drive especially in bad weather. I haven't added any mods to mine but I did get it with the short throw shifter and that works well. I think 227 hp is adequate for the car but I have never driven the STi so I cannot compare the two. Basically the reason I got the Subaru was I was looking for a good performing, reliable, AWD and competively priced car. One of the only negatives that comes with owning a WRX is that everyone always wants to race you. Also the standard Bridgestones that come with the car are not good tires. I look forward to replacing them soon. I thought about buying a used 00 or 01 S4 but it was more money and my previous Audi had a lot of problems.