Corvette C6 Z06 Nurburgring Time | FerrariChat

Corvette C6 Z06 Nurburgring Time

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by r00t61, Jul 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    From a different board:
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showpost.php?p=1551409122&postcount=12

From Dave's mouth to my note pad:

After a long discussion on all the various times of different (Non-Corvette) cars around the ring, using 8:00 as the benchmark for "world class" performance Dave announced:

A 2005 C6 turned the 'Ring in 7:59! (yes 7:59, NOT 7:56!!)

A 2004 C5 ZO6 did it in the already known 7:56

and the 2006 ZO6, driven by Jan Magnusson drove it in........

7:43

Dave said this time was already available on the net so it was not part of the August embargo.

Also it was NOT the Blue Devil.

Let the Bench Racing begin!

Crash

//******
    "Dave" in this case is Dave Hill, Chief Corvette/XLR Engineer.

I'm impressed with the time, considering it was done on the 'Vette's less-than-optimal second-generation runflat tires. Still, given its superior torque-to-weight ratio compared to the Porsche CGT, my bench-racing mind says it should have gone faster.

The real question is, though, do the steering and gearbox still suck? Please let GM have fixed these two points, for the love of God.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i agree with the gearbox and steering problems of the c6...if they can fix it, or if the z06 resolves the problems, then i am all over it....

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Please, you don't actually believe "torque to weight" actually means anything? We would have to know the shape of the torque curve of both vehicles to even bring torque into this conversation. The time is faster than virtually any other "car" that has been tested on the track. And cheaper than any other "car" within 10 seconds of it.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Beat me to it. 7:43 is mighty impressive.

5. tpk

tpk Rookie

Jul 4, 2005
    Keep in mind this was with OE runflat tires with a wear rating of 240 I believe.
    Carrera GT OE tires have a much lower wear rating.

6. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    7.43 is a hell of a time.

The c6 Z06 at 65 large is an amazing deal for reliability...Inexpensive upkeep and everyday usability.

The performance is startling.

I bet they sell a ton of these.

Should be three years before they start to discount them.

After I put a few more miles on my existing 465hp C5 Z06 I might just have to buy one of these new ones...

7. Kulstad

Kulstad Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    What mods did the cars have (suspension, tyres)?

Anyway Sportauto allready tested a stock Corvette C6 and the time was 8:15, 10 seconds slower than a 911CS.

8. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The cars is stock...

9. ls1z51

ls1z51 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    That's really a pretty lousy time. These guys are not used to driving high torque cars. This mag also got a 5.2 0-60 time which is a full second more than any other magazine in the world has gotten for the car.

The C6 Z51 has turned faster lap times than the new 911 S on every track in every test I've seen so far. The fact that it's faster on the 'ring when Porsche and GM had their best drivers giving it a go means that Sportauto just needs a few more practice laps.

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    What an incredible value.

I hope they build the Blue Devil.