365 gt 2+2 window motor | FerrariChat

365 gt 2+2 window motor

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bazooka joe, Jul 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Left window motor not working .. was rebuilt 11 mos. ago. Have power to fuse, switch .. assuming motor is problem again. Need to get window working for trip planned in three days.No time to remove panel, replace motor, etc.. Do all 365's have emergency manual control thru door panel (I can feel hole thru panel .. no opening on panel)

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I believe they do - I think whoever last re-covered your panels took the shortcut - you should have a round beauty cover about 1.5" dia covered in the same material as the door panel; when it is there, it has a two-pronged spring clip to keep it in place - the hole itself is normally trimmed w/ a metal grommet (which is concealed by the beauty cover).

the hole is only half the issue; do you have the emergency crank itself? It is a bent rod w/ a bevel gear on the end of it. I'll bet Shaughnessy has a drawerful . . .

3. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    What color is your interior?

if you brave cutting the panel I probably have the little cover that goes in the hole.

I think I have red,black,tan,butterscotch, and maybe more will have to check

carefull with the emergencey crank the gear gears strip real easy.

Zac

4. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    I just ordered the crank ... thanks for the tips .. The interior is tan (old style leather, w/ a shine) Not sure what bitterscotch looks like ?

Motor was completely re-built by qualified elec. eng. one year ago. I rallied the car in a week of rain end of May.. any suggestions before I take panel off

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How much for the crank? I think I should have one for my car as well.

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    given the recent rebuild and power to the switch, I would think that a loose connection to the motor is the culprit. Even if you got the cabling wrong to lift the glass carriage causing it to bind, the fuse should blow before the motor burns itself out (if you have the right fuse in that circuit).

It's been awhile since I've done it (the front quarter vent motor is the bane of my existence), but the door skin isn't too dificult to remove; a couple of screws to get the door release escutcheon removed and then several more for the long armrest/door pull and then about a dozen of the little retaining clips.

I've always been a little mystified by Ferrari's choice of windows to have powered; the two you can reach in the front seat are power; the rear vent windows out of reach are manually operated . . .

7. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Crank was $50. incl. overnight shipping .. from Algar Ferrari (800-441-9824)

8. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Took panel off, .. checked all connections, getting power to motor ... not working, tried crank (plastic ?) started to shread gear, used crank and my fingers to turn spindel .. motor worked ... It seemed that the motor was "jammed" works perfect now !! Do these motors jam up ?

9. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no experience with these motors but others may know .Given that it worked after you moved it is it possible that there is a dead spot on the armature. Might it require the same fix in the future?

10. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    With the emergency hand crank and my fingers twisting (unsticking) the motor gear(reaching in thru the speaker hole) I can "jump start" the motor (using the interior switch) The window works for a bit (6-7x) then stops.

Do I have a bum motor (dead spot ?) or something in the cable drum assembly ? Cable lines seem fine. All was taken apart, greased, etc.. when motor was out being rebuilt.

Next step is to remove motor from cable drum assembly, and have the guy who rebuilt it check it out. I have been advised to not mess w/ the cable drum assembly (tuff to put back ?)

Thanks

11. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    It may be a bad motor, but I suggest you also reach under the motor (takes small fingers) and check where the ground wire connects. Make sure the connection is good and the wire is not frayed. I had a very similar problem, and found that the ground wire from the motor was hanging by a single strand (vibration had apparently broken the others over time). I simply put a new connector on the wire, fastened it back in place and have not had any problem since. It may sound like an oversimplification, but in my experience a large majority of electric window problems on old Ferraris and Maseratis (I've had several of each) end up being grounding problems. Good luck.

12. bazooka joe

bazooka joe Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Motor out, definately "sticks" when you make a full rotation. Brought it back to shop that rebuit it (warranty !)

Any suggestions as to another motor that may fit .. maybe a 308 ?

13. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    my bet is that either the armeture(sp?) is bent or one of the bearings is dried out. it is also possible that the rebuilder left out the very thin copper washer that prevent the motor case from being over tightened.

As for another motor that will work it depends on which window switches you have. The Duccelier switches on the earlier cars will not work with modern motors since the do not allow you to wire them to switch polarity.

Zac

14. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I am having the same problem with both my window motors. They will work after being nudged with the crank but then give up after several lifts. Anyone have a good lead on another motor that will work. I replaced one of mine years ago with a Ford unit but it was always very noisey and I can't seem to find a receipt showing a part number.

15. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    All got too hard for me so I replaced both units with new OEM units sourced from Maranello Concessionaires in the UK
    Grantj