355 oil pressure question | FerrariChat

355 oil pressure question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gershwin, Jul 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Is it common to get a lot of fluctuation in the oil pressure during normal driving conditions? Generally starts out quite low w/in first several minutes of start up and then seems to adjust but fluctuate once warm depending upon acceleration and deceleration.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Stephen

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have owned three Ferraris and my observations on oil pressure: It will be highest on cold start (will come up within seconds of starting)...as the car warms, the oil pressure will slowly drop. Warm idle, oil pressure can be 25-45psi...on full rpm runs to redline, oil pressure can rise to 85-95 psi, typically.

Oil pressure varies with temperature and rpms.

Hot lower pressure

Cold higher pressure

Low rpm lower pressure

high rpm higher pressure

Make sense?

3. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    At normal operating temps, water 190 oil 210 my oil pressure at 3000 rpm or above is on the first line after 70 lbs thats proberbly 95 lbs ,at idle 1000 rpm it is on the first line thats proberbly 35 lbs .

4. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Fully make sense! The hoter the oil is, the lower the pressure is.
    For instance, one can notice that at idle the oil pressure is very close to ... the lowest gauge level. It's especially true when the engine is at normal operating temperture.

So don't be afraid if the oil pressure fluctuate. It shows that the both the oil pump and the gauge are working fine. From my standpoint, if the oil pressure is at 3-5 bar at 4000-5000 rpm, then everything is fine.

Christophe.

PS: Like you, I was very upset by having very low oil pressure reading with a hot engine at idle when I just pick-up my first Ferrari at the garage !!!!!

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Makes sense and thank you for the input!

6. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I had to replace the sending unit on my 98 because the gauge first fluctuated and then just quit. Since putting the new unit on the oil pressure drops much lower at idle. Runs about or just past the center of the gauge on the road, a little higher on start up. I believe that as long as the red light in the gauge does not come on at idle you are ok but that is only my opinion FWIW.

7. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mine behaves exactly as Fazzaz1 described: "the oil pressure drops much lower at idle. Runs about or just past the center of the gauge on the road, a little higher on start up."

-Michael