re: Business Dinner, NB | FerrariChat

re: Business Dinner, NB

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by arnaget, Jul 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi all,

I'm visiting from nyc for work -- can any of you provide some recommendations for a nice place to eat in Newport Beach for tonight? we did Nobu in malibu yesterday, and that was pretty good. so maybe a slight departure from that type of seafood fare would be nice. also, a place that would maximize the likelihood of me seeing some Ferraris! Thanks

-Jason

2. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
  3. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    hmm, in Laguna Beach there is a place called Hush, that you would have a good chance.

3thirty3 is another good place, very loud though.

Maybe in Fashion island? There is cheesecake factory, thaifoon, CPK and more

4. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    http://www.roysrestaurant.com

You may want seafood again if you haven't been to Roy's.

Your profile makes me guess that you like structure and pay attention to details and if I'm right then my two suggestions might be what you had in mind. If you get up there early enough check out both places before hand and call to find out the parking arrangements. Also when and if making reservations at either of these two establishments make it know that you are or are not looking to be seated in a quiet section. This helps if you don't want a group to come along and disrupt a dinner meeting.

That's me and my two cents.

Ciao

Brigitte

5. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    A couple places that I like are...

Oyster's in Newport Beach/Corona Del Mar on PCH and MacArthur.

Gulfstream right across the street from Oyster's

French 75 in Laguna Beach

The Studio in Laguna Beach

Sushi Laguna in Laguna Beach is good and fun

Roy's as mentioned is also a favorite

Rouge is across from Roy's is also excellent

Sage in Crystal Cove on PCH is also good

I'd just call them and talk to them about the menu to see what interests you.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I second that one!

.....and they serve abalone!!!

7. vincer77

vincer77 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    I'd give a thumbs up for The Arches. Also like French 75 in Laguna.

If you would like to experience the Ocean, I would suggest Splashes at the Surf and Sand Hotel - it is right over the sand in Laguna. Food is very good - Oso Bucco is usually good if you want a hearty meal.

Also, the restaurant at the Pelican Hill Golf course (the name slips me right now) is quite nice.

Restaurants in Corona Del Mar (like Gulfstream) will be hard to get into and loud - but it is "the place to be" on thursday nights. If you are alone - this may be just the place.

Bon Apetite,

Vince

8. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would recommend the Studio in Laguna Beach as well. Very nice restaurant and they have 35 different years of Opus One on display. It’s also located in the Montage, which is pretty cool with exclusive beaches and a superb spa.

9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You might also look into Bayside Restaurant, very close to Balboa Island. I've been there a few times and the food is great. Each time I drive by at night I take a look at the cars. Not sure how often Ferrari's show up, but I've seen plenty of high-end MBs, Aston-Martin's, etc.

Also - Ferrari-watching aside, I think Bandera is my favorite restaurant out there. It's on PCH near Corona Del Mar. AWESOME food.

Enjoy!

10. vincer77

vincer77 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Yes, and I saw my first McLaren F1 there

11. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    I've been to Bayside quite a few times and enjoy it as well, somehow I tend to forget about it probably because I don't drive pass it. :)

12. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    wow, thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone. seems like the Arches or Bayside are the frontrunners.. hmmmmm

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    what's Armen's restaurant again? Support a local F-Chatter. It's good food too.

14. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Ocean21 .... impressive ;) you better have long arms

G

15. Go_MUFC

Go_MUFC Rookie

Feb 11, 2005
    The Orange County equivalent of Le Benardin is Aubergine.

http://www.aubergine-restaurant.com/

Very small, Very french, Very good.

Not very exciting for people watching though....

Bon appetit.

16. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    hi all,

again, thank you for the multitude of suggestions. too bad i was only around the area for that one night - - after dropping by the Arches, my colleague felt it was a bit stuffy inside, so we went to the Bayside Restaurant. fabulous recommendation... thanks!.. had foie gras/quail appetizer and the strip steak. oh yeah, and can't forget the chocolate souffle w/ hazelnut ice cream. great meal, overall. i'm back on the east coast now.. but will be back in california again on Sunday.. this time in agoura hills... so stay tuned for another "where should I eat?"....

-Jason

ps - i dragged my coworker into newport european (armen's old place) to check out the cars. red F430 there was $289k... for some reason, the challenge stradale they had (window had a sign saying "Not for Sale") still appeals to me more.

17. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    What day did you go? I was there at the showroom floor, working on that F430 (Rosso Corsa) on Wednesday. Now sure whats the deal with that beautiful Stradale, I saw that sign too...

18. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Glad to hear you enjoyed Bayside! There are tons and tons of restaurants in the area, so feel free to ask again next time!

-Mark

19. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Very nice choice...you probably saw my house from your table. :) Usually there is either at least a 360 there, if not then a Gallardo.

20. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    @bhane: I went on Thursday evening.. the F430 was pretty cool, and it was the first time i saw it that close in the flesh (in nyc, we don't see neat stuff like that very often). I imagine you applied a clear film bra on it?..

@mark: you're so lucky to live in that area and enjoy what it has to offer.. manhattan honestly pales by comparison. too hot/humid, lots of rude people.. hehe.

@david: if I could see your house from where we were eating, you must have a pretty nice house!

thanks again, everyone

-Jason

21. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    time has come to ask you southern california food gurus for advice.. I'm staying in Agoura Hills this time around. Any suggestions for places to eat around this area (calabasas or malibu)? Thanks in advance..

also, i passed "the auto gallery" on 101 last night. they had a red F50 sitting there, it looked like. is it worth a visit?..

Best,
    Jason