ACK... barely missed warranty | FerrariChat

ACK... barely missed warranty

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ryalex, Jul 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was going to take my car in for a major service before it hit 36k miles so they could fix anything under warranty. The dealer is a good 15-20 miles away. I get to work, and my mileage was 35,992.

Crap!

Oh well. Now that time has past, and I can bet they'll find tons of stuff now that needs replacement.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

toll it there......

3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL... this was on Tuesday, so that time has passed.

At least the drivetrain warranty is until 60k. We bought the car new thinking that the 3yr/36k warranty would last until the end of grad school (3yr program). Well, it's not even the end of our second year with the car at we've used up the warranty!

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    DO they really hold you to the exact mile? I remember getting work done under warranty a couple hundred miles off.

5. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I still think you might be okay. Do you have the odometer statement from when you bought the car? If there were 10-15 delivery miles on it, you'll be okay.

My car was dealer transported (read: driven) from Iowa when I bought it, so my warranty started at 128 miles.

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Water heater design is an exactly science of metallurgy. When i bought my first replacement water heater, i was asked whether i wanted one with a 5 yr. or 10 yr. warranty. The answer, told to me with a straight face, was whether i wanted a unit that lasted 5 years and a few months, or ten years and a few months. Apparently, they design them to conk right after the warranty expires. That is truly excellence of design.

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Naw, it came with like 58 miles, and I'm past that too. I commute 46 miles each way (yes, 92 a day... I'm putting over 750 miles a week on).

8. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    One of the engineering classes I took should have been called programable breakdown. You would be amazed how things are designed to fail shortly after warranty period.