348 round taillight $1995 conversion kit | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 round taillight $1995 conversion kit

Discussion in '348/355' started by Raywheels, Jul 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raywheels

Raywheels Rookie

Jul 11, 2005
    We were responding to the threads which read "348 taillights... Offer who would be interested" Members were asking where could they find a 348 conversion for a lower price. So we posted the requested information. At least some of the members now know custom made wire harnesses are also required when connecting new taillights. We apologize for responding, this will be our last post.

2. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i dont have a problem with the posts, its not like your trying to sell swampland..

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I, for one, appreciate the posts. I learned a great deal about your kit that I wouldn't have otherwise known. I will be very interested to see the product when the tail lights can be adjusted! Please continue to post as questions arise.

One question I have is...if you want to go back to original, how long a process does that take, assuming you have a pair of unmolested brackets to substitute for the "clipped" ones?

4. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #29 brent Lachelt, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Brent. That is one beatiful tail light treatment. If something like that were available for the 348, I'd have to strongly consider it. Awesome.

6. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I would definitely buy it if it was metal challenge grill material and I could get the lights close to that look (angle).

7. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    348 kit looks wrong.

8. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I sell the Veilside kits but there wasn't much interest so the only thing we offer is just the garnish piece not the brackets or anything else. I have no problem with you selling anything on here, what I do have a problem with is you taking advantage of Rob and trying to sell something on this website without paying the sponsorship fees. Why should I pay thousands a year while you try to start a groupbuy that will never go through (100?? get real, you may get 5-10 orders if you're lucky) with only paying Rossa fees? Best of luck to you with your tail lights though.

Regards,

9. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #34 Andy hls, Jul 25, 2005
  10. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Hi Andy,

Great pic of your challenge grill. You mentioned that it is a 355 grill? I think? Do you know specifically what was done and what mods had to be made to get it on your 348?

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Ordinarily I might consider a post like this to be commercial in nature if it were posted "unsolicited"--but in this case I have to agree with Raywheels. There has been MUCH bantering here about their 348 tail light treatment recently and I think it's perfectly fair that they should have the opportunity to speak up about their product.

I totally agree that only sponsors should be able to post blatantly commercial posts, but this is a single incident in response to many queries and the guy even had the class to sign up as a Rossa Subscribed member.

I would hope that Raywheels would find it beneficial to become a site sponser because of POSITIVE experiences here and because of the revenue it may eventually generate for his business from Fchat. many othr sponsers have already discovered that Fchatters always patronize the sponsers first because we support the businesses that support us!

Just my $.02

Birdman

12. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    did you cut out the rear panel to fit the lights that way ? do you have more pics of your set up ? thanks.

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This I don't quite understand. I would be surprised to hear that mesh material similiar to the kind used on Challenge Grills would cost MORE than Carbon Fiber.

Is there something I am not getting here?

14. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    I second that. Anyway, we're still waiting for someone to come up with a properly angled lights on these kits. Perforated (mesh) metal sheet is not exactly expensive but it does cost more than a flat metal sheet of same specs. They come in 4'x8' here but the shop will probably sell you in smaller pieces @ request. The cost should be on the mould & a press that can create the holes for the lights & correct curves + fit. I don't think handmaking it is possible @ home, you'll need a workshop with some sheet bending machines & a lot of tools+trial & error. This will be a lot of work=$. But when it's done, it's mass production. How many 348 owners will buy it is another question. For the moment, Andy's 355 challenge grille+light set seems the closest but we'll have to spend a fair bit of time snipping & bending it to fit & this metal can be sharp on corners!

15. chenshan

chenshan Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Chenshan Wu
    #40 chenshan, Jul 26, 2005
    Hi,

For me, I perfer Andy's much more than mine cause his is the real CH grill. I read some threads and felt some of you may dislike me cause I can not offer you the chance to moderfied the tail. Truth is, I don't even like mine. The grill surface is not as smooth as the factory one, not even the finishing line. Besides, the old mechanic said you have to leave the car in his place for weeks in order to make one surely maching yours. He only makes 3 of them in the pass and he feels a little lazy to do it again. I am deeply sorry that there is really nothing more I can help. The only thing I can do just put some more photos with detail.

One thing might be helpful for someone willing to try. The tail lights are not screw onto the frame but directly scerw with the grill. Which I am sure can give you the correct angle without destory anything.

Best Regards

Chenshan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Lol, you also get a lot of utility out of the car I see being that you are keeping you fast food nice and warm!

17. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    John, Yes what you are not getting is that a fiberglass or carbon fiber piece is molded. It is not that difficult to make a mold.

A true challenge grill is made of metal, metal that has to be stamped. The cost of making that die would be costly, plus unless you have a large press, you will have to send it out to be stamped. The set-up time would be costly and after you stamp 20 or so out it could take a while to recover your costs.

The fiberglass or carbon pieces could easily be made to order....

I had a 348 and I never could get used to not having round taillights, so I bought my 355, but these kits do not offend me.

As for this guy responding to a thread, I do appreciate the information, so should we charge him $1,000 dollars to answer our questions? I understand how a sponser would feel, but I think a little leeway is ok. I do not think he crossed the line...

18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Fair enough! Thanks for the explanation :)

BTW, are you coming to the FQC this year? I was there last year but didn't get the pleasure of meeting you. Hopefully this year, no?

19. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    John, I will be there! I hope we get to spend some time together!

Chris

20. chenshan

chenshan Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Chenshan Wu
    I saw a similar photo here then I thought maybe I can try it myself. It's not bad to put foods there but have to be aware about the drinks, LOL.....

21. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    HaHa Chen!
    I did the same thing on a february track day in the uk with my burgers!!! Popped the lid and warmed them on the flat bit of the manifold, don't drop any onion though, it stinks!
    Who said Ferrari's arn't practical!
    As for the grill, I think the lip over the lights on a 355 takes the edge off the protrusion of the lenses, Andy's looks good and Chen's but you can't ever get the same '355' rear unless you develop the rear lip as well so it will always be 'custom'.
    On the Raywheels subject, get back on the forum mate, you just tried to provide something that people wanted, I'm sure you didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes, I've seen many a thread where someone has had a custom part (e.g. carbon bits) and had offers of money from other posters to produce it, who's to say they didn't make a few bucks for their time?
    I never get on my soap box but the more people willing to try to give us what we want the better i say.
    I'll shut up now.